- Alternative & Natural Medicine»
- Home Remedies
Home Remedies for Flatulence, Bloating and Abdominal Distension
Abdominal distension and bloating can result in a sensation of tightness, heaviness and fullness in the abdomen, and it can produce a huge stomach discomfort. Heavy meals, staying hungry for long intervals of time, and consuming too much of gas-producing foods are the chief causes of abdominal bloating. Abdominal bloating symptoms include: heaviness in the upper or lower abdomen, cramping, easy satiety and unsatisfactory stools.
The Gastro-intestinal Tract
What Causes Gaseous Distension
The following reasons have been implicated in the occurrence of abdominal distention:
- Faulty eating habits, and an inconsistent lifestyle pattern
- Sedentary routine
- Huge gaps in between two meals
- Consuming heavy and greasy meals
- Eating too much of legumes and fermented foods
- No exercising
- Hormone changes
- Poor sleep
Home Remedies for Stomach Distention
The following home remedies have proved to be decidedly beneficial in the management of stomach bloating; and have been used since times immemorial to treat a gassy stomach:
- Ginger: is an excellent carminative and digestive; i.e. it helps in optimal digestion and dispels gas rapidly. Ginger is packed with gingerols which are powerful anti-inflammatory compounds that improve digestion and prevent the formation of gas in the GI tract. It is also a powerful muscle relaxant and thus helps get rid of trapped gas within the bowels. Ginger also deals with accompanying nausea, vomiting and stomach cramps.
You may have ginger in any form – grated raw ginger with a dollop of honey, ginger tea or dry ginger powder with jaggery. However, if you suffer from frequent bouts of flatulence and abdominal distention, make sure that you incorporate ginger in to your daily routine.
- Mint: soothes the GI tract lining effectively and thus helps battle cramps and pain associated with stomach bloating. It is an effective anti-spasmodic and reduces cramps, spasms and pains. In fact, mint is the most effectual natural remedy to manage the symptoms of irritable bowel. Have a glass of mint tea every day before lunch.
- Fennel seeds: fennel seeds are immensely beneficial as well. Chewing the seeds after every meal promises you to be free from painful gaseous distention. Fennel seeds help drive out wind, prevent gas from building up within the gastrointestinal tract, reduce abdominal pressure and alleviate any GI distress effectively. Have a glass of fennel tea to allay gaseous distension quickly.
Tips to Deal with Flatulence and Tummy Discomfort
- Ensure that you drink 12 glasses of water every day. Furthermore, have juices, soups, herbal teas and watery foods such as watermelon, limes, oranges, as well.
- If you are prone to excessive flatulence and if it tends to become excessively distressing, it is a good idea to eliminate or reduce your consumption of beans, legumes, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, and fermented foods. These are difficult to digest and produce a lot of gas.
- Begin your day with herbal tea. Herbal tea peps up the working of the alimentary canal, regularizes the bowel movement and gets rid of gas successfully.
- Also, chew with your mouth closed. If you keep your mouth open whilst eating, you tend to swallow too much air, consequently, worsening the condition.
- Try to get some amount of exercise every day. Yoga asanas are also recommended to manage flatulence and abdominal discomfort. Asanas such as Pawanmuktasana, Gomukhasana and Dhanurasana are exceedingly helpful.