- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
AcousticSheep SleepPhones - The Safe Solution to Sleep Problems and Insomnia
Finally, a Safe and Effective Sleep Aid Without Medication
AcousticSheep SleepPhones allow me fall asleep more easily, enjoy better, more restful and restorative sleep, and fall back to sleep quickly if I wake up during the night. If you or someone you know has difficulty falling or staying asleep, these soft, comfortable fleece headband speakers that were designed specifically for listening to music, nature sounds, audiobooks, etc., while sleeping could be the answer to your prayers, too.
Have Insomnia or Sleeping Problems? You're Not Alone
I've always had trouble with insomnia. And there's a pretty good chance that you, your partner, your roommate or someone else you know also has trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, or getting back to sleep after waking up during the night. According to The New York Times Health Guide, "as many as 25% of Americans report occasional sleeping problems. Chronic sleeping problems affect about 10% of people." And that's only the number of people who actually report their sleep issues!
Most of us don't realize how dangerous insufficient or poor quality sleep can be to our health. According to an ABC News story on 6 Health Hazards Linked to Lack of Sleep, "Lack of sleep has been linked to stroke, obesity, diabetes, anxiety, depression and the country's No. 1 killers: heart disease and cancer."
Prescription sleeping pills or over-the-counter sleep remedies can be addictive and most doctors advise against using them on a long-term basis to treat chronic sleep disorders. Taking melatonin may help, but according to the National Sleep Foundation "Large studies are needed to demonstrate if melatonin is effective and safe for some forms of insomnia, particularly for long-term use." Fortunately there are safe ways to deal with sleep problems without resorting to medications. Establishing and maintaining a regular sleeping and waking schedule, creating a habitual pre-bedtime routine and making sure your bedroom is completely dark a night all promote better sleep. Many people also find that listening to relaxing nature sounds (such as rain or ocean waves), binaural beats, music, podcasts, talk radio, or an audiobook helps them fall asleep or get back to sleep after waking up during the night. But if you're sleeping with a partner, visiting friends, staying in a non-private hospital room, traveling without speakers or sleeping in a room with thin walls, listening through speakers at night isn't an option. That's why AcousticSheep SleepPhones have been such a blessing for me — and also for my husband.
A Simple, Safe Solution to Insomnia and Sleeping Problems
AcousticSheep SleepPhones Were Designed by a Doctor to Help Her Fall Asleep Without Medication
While I can't fall asleep in complete silence, my husband can't fall asleep (or stay asleep) without it. We spent years trying out different possible solutions that could allow both of us to have the very different sleeping environments each of us needs. My husband tried wearing earplugs and I tried wearing regular headphones (several different types) and using pillow speakers and speaker pillows, but there were problems with each of those potential solutions that forced us to abandon them.
After scouring the web for other things to try we finally discovered headband-style sleep headphones. Our research turned up a few different brands of headband-type sleep headphones and most of them got very mixed reviews. But AcousticSheep SleepPhones received a lot of very positive reviews by people who had used them to solve the same problem my husband and I were dealing with.
I liked that these were the original fleece headband speakers rather than a knock-off and that AcousticSheep SleepPhones were developed by a doctor who created the prototype for her own personal use to help her fall asleep without using medication. So I placed an order and my husband and I kept our fingers crossed. To our delight, we found that when I wear mine both of us can get a great night's sleep!
It has been many years since we first discovered SleepPhones and I wouldn't dream of going to bed without them. They live underneath my pillow during the day and around my head at night. And they're the first thing I pack (along with my toothbrush) when I travel.
See How AcousticSheep Sleephones Solved Our Sleep Problems and Helped Save Our Happy Marriage
What do you use to help you get a good night's sleep?
11 Great Reasons to Get AcousticSheep SleepPhones Sleep Headphones For Yourself Or Your Partner
- They're cozy and comfortable. The company calls them "pajamas for your ears", and that's kind of how I think of them, too. The headband is a double layer of extremely soft, stretchy fleece, and in between the layers are two small, flat, very thin speakers covered in felt.
- They muffle external sounds but don't block them out, so you can still hear a smoke alarm, emergency phone call, baby monitor, etc. I consider this an important safety feature. If someone is breaking into my house, or if my husband's breathing becomes labored (he suffers from mild sleep apnea), I want to be able to hear those things. Some reviewers complain that they still can hear their spouse's snoring or the noisy neighbors because SleepPhones don't block out those sounds. They arent supposed to. That's what ear plugs (and, to a lesser extent, noise canceling headphones) are for.
- They come with free, downloadable binaural beats MP3 tracks that promote falling asleep faster and sleeping more soundly WITHOUT the use of over-the-counter or prescription sleep aids or medications. Binaural beats technology soothes our brainwaves and lulls us gently into a deep, restful sleep. In order to work, binaural beats must be listened to through SleepPhones or other headphones without Dolby or noise-canceling features. The company also provides a free SleepPhones iPhone app with four of the company's favorite sleep-enhancing tracks.
- The fleece headband is machine washable and can be dried in a dryer on low heat, if desired. I prefer to line dry them, as I do most of my clothes. (Line drying saves a LOT of electricity and puts less wear and tear on fabrics.)
- The speakers are removable, which means I can take them out and just throw the fleece headband into the washing machine and, after it dries, put the speakers back in again.
- The placement of both speakers is adjustable. Since they are connected only by wires, each speaker can be placed and adjusted independently for a custom fit when you place them inside the fleece headband.
- SleepPhones are made from eco-friendly fleece made from 88% recycled plastic (with 12% spandex added to provide the needed stretch), and made by a green, socially responsible company.
- They're sewn and assembled in the USA. Sadly, it's getting harder and harder to find products made in the USA. AcousticSheep doesn't say where the excellent speakers are made, but they're very proud to offer American-made fleece headbands as a key component of this high-quality product.
- SleepPhones come with a 1-year limited warranty. This is really important! SleepPhones are designed to have the cord come out the back of the headband, so the cord is frequently subjected to some degree of repetitive stress every time one wears them. This is especially true for people like me who roll over frequently during the night in the same direction so that the cord can end up twisted pretty tightly and need to be straightened out. It's only reasonable to assume that under those circumstances the wire will develop a short at some point. Two of my speaker sets were fine for 1Â½ to 2 years before the sound in either the left or right speaker started cutting out intermittently and I needed to buy replacement speakers. When my third set of speakers developed a short just before the end of the 1-year warranty period I was able to send them back to AcousticSheep who promptly and courteously replaced them free of charge.
- Replacement or spare fleece headbands and speakers can be purchased separately. Every few years when the speaker wire eventually develops an electrical short I just order a pair of replacement speakers at around 75% of the cost of new SleepPhones. I also keep a spare fleece headband so that I have one to wear while the other one is in the laundry. Also, although I don't think of myself as having an "extra small" head, mine is on the smallish side, and I and several other female Amazon reviewers found that the "one size fits all" headband tended to slip when we turned over on the pillow, especially after the stretchy fleece stretched out a bit over time. When I purchased and x-small replacement band it was slightly too snug for the first couple of weeks but then stretched out a bit and has fit perfectly since then. And the replacement headband was a fraction of the cost of a new set.
- You can try them risk-free for 3 months — satisfaction guaranteed or your money back! The fact that AcousticSheep offers a generous 90-day money-back guarantee for their SleepPhones is one of the reasons I decided to try them in the first place. I loved the company's confidence in their products and willingness to stand behind them. Also, my husband and I think these sleep headphones are the best thing since sliced bread, but everyone is different. If you try SleepPhones for up to three months risk-free and decide for any reason that they aren't doing the trick for you, you can send them back to the manufacturer within those first 90 days for a full refund of the product price (just pay the return postage).
AcousticSheep SleepPhones Also Make a Thoughtful Gift That Keeps on Giving
My husband and I have given these sleep headphones as gifts to several people, and all of them have told us how much they appreciate them and what a positive difference AcousticSheep SleepPhones have made in their lives. These make a perfect gift for:
- Anyone who needs to listen to sounds in order to fall asleep and/or stay asleep - background music, audiobooks, nature sounds, relaxation recordings, binaural beats, etc.
- Anyone who simply enjoys listening to music, nature sounds or relaxation recordings while they doze off. Many people who don't need to listen to something in order to fall asleep still find it relaxing and pleasurable to do so.
- Anyone whose partner snores and could use some help blocking out the sound with some soothing music (or audiobooks, podcasts, recordings of "white noise", "pink noise" or other relaxation recordings).
- Anyone who travels often and doesn't always have control over his or her sleeping environment.
- Anyone who is (or is going to be) hospitalized. My husband's brother got some SleepPhones based on our recommendation and he brought them with him to the hospital when he was admitted for a major (and scary) surgical procedure. Afterward, he thanked us profusely for having encouraged him to buy them and said that he couldn't imagine how he would have gotten through this difficult ordeal if it hadn't been for his SleepPhones, which helped him drown out some of the incessant boops and beeps from the monitors and alarms (and other ambient noises like visitors to other patients in shared hospital rooms) and allowed him not only to sleep but also to take his mind off his fears and worries about the outcome of his surgery.
The gift of a good night's sleep? Priceless!
I Recommend Getting a Spare Set of Replacement Speakers
I always keep a spare pair of on hand in case one of the speakers develops a short. This way, whether I send the broken speakers back to AcousticSheep for a free replacement within the 1-year warranty period or order new replacement speakers from Amazon, I don't have to miss having a night's sleep while I wait for the new ones to arrive. replacement speakers
© 2013 Margaret Schindel