It must be very difficult when your mom goes off her meds. That is a very frustrating scenario. I am on both sides of mental illness so here is what I have learned:
* Learn about the specific mental illness. You can go to sites like www.nami.org or dbsa.org or just google in the disorder and you will find lots of information about what she is dealing with. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO. Everything you do after this step will depend on what you have learned about her disorder.
* Find tangible ways to be supportive. One thing you can do is get into a support group for families of the mentally ill. Their you will find lots of ways to cope and to support your mom. She needs encouragement that she can get better. Encourage her to use the tools she's been given, but don't be the behavior police.
* Don't call her crazy, get angry when she has a setback, or stigmatize. Remember, she has an illness, not a character defect or emotional weakness.
* Love her unconditionally.
* Take care of yourself. It's easy to be sucked down into the abyss with your loved ones. If you find this happening, get help.
The websites I gave you will give you many more tips on how to be supportive to
a friend or loved one with a mental illness. God Bless.