ChristinS profile image 94

Were you bullied as a child and if so, did it make you stronger as a person or did it tear you down?

I dealt with both bullies in school and a verbally abusive father (bully) growing up. It seemed I was an emotional garbage dump for many people. As a child, it damaged me immensely, but as an adult, I took it and turned it around and ended up with a higher sense of self-worth than I thought possible. It tore me down, but I built myself back up ultimately and in some strange ways feel stronger because of it. Do you think most bullied kids end up ok? or do you think it harms most people their whole life?

Angela Blair profile image85

Angela Blair says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 4 years ago

I sympathize with this! I was opposite, very tiny and didn't break 100 lbs til college. Adults always unintentionally made me feel "small" for more than just my stature! I agree adults have to be very careful because kids do take things to heart!

GoForTheJuggler profile image88

Joshua Patrick (GoForTheJuggler) says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 4 years ago

I believe it did the same for me also, it made me more conscious of how not to treat others. As for internet bullying, I guess the anonymity gives people "courage" to be mean. It is rather sad.

Rosie writes profile image85

Rosie writes says

kirstenblog profile image78

kirstenblog says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 4 years ago

I agree and like you I had a couple of very positive people in my life to counteract a lot of it. Glad you had support and yes, bullying is dangerous no doubt. It sounds like u did overcome it - yay :D

I was bullied as a child - Answering the Question: Were you bullied as a child?85

I was bullied as a child - Answering the Question: Were you bullied as a child?

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 4 years ago

I read your hub and commented there - but want to suggest to others following this question to also read it, it was excellent.

Pauline Davenport profile image60

Pauline Davenport says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 4 years ago

I totally relate to what you went through during the high school years. I never have understood how bullying is viewed as "normal" and a right of passage etc. It's cruel and uncalled for and I commend you for standing up to it.

Express10 profile image86

H C Palting (Express10) says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 4 years ago

I can relate to your story of being bullied at home and at school, it leaves a feeling of no safe space and does lead to depression. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Joy56 profile image61

Joy56 says

• kirstenblog profile image

kirstenblog 4 years ago

Do we ever stop feeling little, trying to work it all out? Somehow I don't think so, I guess growing up doesn't mean you stop being a kid, you just start being more then that.

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 4 years ago

I think its good when we can speak rationally as opposed to reacting emotionally - it's good to strike a good balance. Glad you found strength

melbelle profile image60

melbelle says

• Express10 profile image

H C Palting (Express10) 4 years ago

You are so right. So many people act as if using words or walking away are the only options for the victim. When victims who are physically threatened or attacked fight back, the bully is called the victim!

bfm13 profile image60

bfm13 says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 4 years ago

It's always so sad when it's a parent that turns on a child. I can see how both the operation and the bullying likely had an effect. Hope you are feeling happier and more secure these days :)

Miss Nasreen profile image59

Miss Nasreen says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 4 years ago

thank you for the compliment :) I appreciate that and the follow thank you.

LoisRyan13903 profile image74

LoisRyan13903 says

• Pauline Davenport profile image

Pauline Davenport 3 years ago

That's brilliant LoisRyan, and it could so easily have gone the other way had you been less strong. I'm so glad you made it, and glad that time has enabled you to see the bully for the sad person she is. Good on you

Garifalia says