As the incidence of various types of cancer is rising all over the world, its prevention has become most important. The following measures will reduce the risk of getting cancer.
1. Eat plently of fruits and vegetables. They are loaded with vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, fibers and other sustances which lower the incidence of cancer.
2. Limit the fat intake to 20% to 30% of the total daily intake of calories. Most of the fat should come from fish, nuts and vegetable oils since they contain healthy fats. Avoid food rich in cholesterol and trans fats.
3. Maintain a healthy weight for your height and age. Some studies indicate that over-weight and obesity are responsible for 14% to 20% all cancer-related deaths.
4. Increase physical activity. 45 to 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity will reduce the risks of most of cancers.
5. Quit smoking. It will reduce the risk of lung and some other cancers regardless of the number of years of smoking.
6. Limit alcohol consumption. Men should limit to two and women to one drink per day.
7. Avoid exposure to UV radiation. UV radiation is a primary cause of skin cancer.
8. Protect against infections. Viruses like humanpapilloma virus and hepatitis B and C virus cause cervical cancer and liver cancer respectively. AIDS can also increase the risks of some cancers.
9. Get screening done. Screening can help detect cancers early and make the treatment sucessfull.