The six health benefit of sunflower seeds are:-
1) Cardiovascular benefits
- Sunflower seeds are a great source of Vitamin E which is an anti-oxidant which keeps free radicals from oxidizing cholestrol. One can get over ninety-percent of the daily value for Vitamin E from one bowl of sunflower seeds.
- Vitamin E in sunflower seeds has significant effects that result in the reduction of asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis, conditions where free radicals and inflammation play a big role.
3) Cancer prevention
- Sunflower seeds are a good source of selenium. Studies suggest a strong correlation between low selenium intake and cancer incidence. Selenium has been shown to induce DNA repair and synthesis in damaged cells, to inhibit the proliferation of cancer cells, and to induce their apoptosis, the self-destruct mechanism the body uses to get rid of worn out or abnormal cells.
4) Bone health
- Sunflower seeds are particularly rich in magnesium. It's a well-known fact that calcium is necessary for strong bones, but magnesium is too. Most of the magnesium in the human body is in our bones.
5) Good for nerves
- By preventing calcium from rushing into nerve cells and activating them, magnesium keeps our nerves relaxed and thereby our blood vessels and muscles too.
6) Skin protection
- Vitamin E has sometimes been described as the "lightning rod" of the cell, allowing reactive molecules to strike the cell, like lightning, without causing damage. This function of vitamin E is particularly apparent in the case of the skin, since vitamin E directly protects the skin from ultraviolet radiation.