KatyWhoWaited profile image 83

Do you suffer from the post traumatic effects of divorce?

I'm wondering if there is a PTRD (my term for Post Traumatic Reaction to Divorce) Many of the symptoms of PTDS seem to be similar - irritability, sense of a limited future, outbursts of anger. I would categorize people with "PTRD as those having symptoms10 years or more after the divorce. Maybe this has been identified already. If so, I wonder if there are support groups specifically for those who appear to have "gotten over" the inital divorce, perhaps even re-married, but have lingering negative effects that interfere with their present day productivity and ability to "self-actualize".

janshares profile image87

Janis Leslie Evans (janshares) says

• KatyWhoWaited profile image

KatyWhoWaited 4 years ago

Jnshares, Thank you so much for your response. I totally agree that there is a different dynamic that occurs for the "leavers" and "the left". The left (including children) are those who seem to experience this. Maybe help could start right here!

• KatyWhoWaited profile image

KatyWhoWaited 4 years ago

Dear Dashing, Thank you! So glad you can look back and feel that everything was for the best- a great attitude. The importance of being "emotionally plugged into" a marriage is truly important as well as all of your points about marriage per se.

Lisa HW profile image83

Lisa HW says

• KatyWhoWaited profile image

KatyWhoWaited 4 years ago

Lisa, thank you for your well thought-out and thorough comment! The resources you provided will be helpful to many. My question was meant to be generic and address a curiosity about issues of loss that courts can't address. Will chk your hubs, etc.!