Rosemay50 profile image 80

How do you pay for healthcare in the US

If you have no money because you can’t work due to health issues and you have no insurance, how do you pay for the doctors’ bills and treatment? Not knowing how your system works I am curious.

Curiad profile image80

Mark G Weller (Curiad) says

• Rosemay50 profile image

Rosemary Sadler (Rosemay50) 4 years ago

It is hard to believe that someone who has worked and paid taxes all their lives are denied proper healthcare when they need it. Brings to mind the saying 'Your country needs you' sounds like all take and no give.

Jackie Lynnley profile image93

Jackie Lynnley says

• Rosemay50 profile image

Rosemary Sadler (Rosemay50) 4 years ago

Sounds as though the system needs a real good shake up. Charity should begin at home.

I do know of people who have gone to the States for surgeries that are not available in the home countries but they are usually paid for by fund raising etc.

lupine profile image76

lupine says

• Rosemay50 profile image

Rosemary Sadler (Rosemay50) 4 years ago

Thank you Lupine for your very detailed answer. You shared informatione here that not many will be aware of, perhaps a hub would be a way of making people aware. The last thing anyone sick needs is worrying about payments and falling into debt.

Becky Katz profile image83

Becky Katz says

• Rosemay50 profile image

Rosemary Sadler (Rosemay50) 4 years ago

Becky there seems to be a lot of options but it doesn't sound from above answers that it is this easy for most. It sounds as though the destitute with children would be taken care of but there seems to be some awfully big holes in that net.

MikeNV profile image81

MikeNV says

• Rosemay50 profile image

Rosemary Sadler (Rosemay50) 4 years ago

I take it if you own a house you are not considered destitute. I heard the red tape is a nightmare.

Diana Lee profile image82

Diana L Pierce (Diana Lee) says

• Rosemay50 profile image

Rosemary Sadler (Rosemay50) 4 years ago

All of these answers shook me up, I didn't realise it was so bad. The elderly are more likely to need healthcare. I can't believe after a lifetime of paying tax they still have to work for to pay the insurance.