Abby Campbell profile image 92

Do you think government should play a role in health education for our children?

With the obesity epidemic on the rise, do you think government should crack down on health education for our children in public schools? I often hear from parents that our children are not being taught health or physical education (PE) in their schools. I know that when I was in elementary and middle schools, it was mandatory to take health and PE. In fact, we even had the Presidential Fitness Challenge in which we had to pass annually or we failed PE. It was what gave me the love of fitness. Since many parents aren't teaching their children health, do you think these standards would help?

Jeff Berndt profile image92

Best Answer Jeff Berndt says

• Abby Campbell profile image

Abby Campbell 4 years ago

Thanks for answering, Jeff. You have some great ideas for testing. I like the idea of ongoing assessments. That's what I do as a nutritionist and personal trainer as well. It's the fair way.

• Abby Campbell profile image

Abby Campbell 4 years ago

Thanks for commenting, Iburmaster. I also homeschooled my girls up through 8th grade. We used a variety of curriculum, but most of them offer health in which we used Abeka. For PE, they were on swim team, dance team, and softball league.

celeste inscribed profile image84

Celeste Wilson (celeste inscribed) says

• Abby Campbell profile image

Abby Campbell 4 years ago

I agree, Celeste. I was out at Chinese dining once with my hubby. The family next to us were all large except one young son. I observed their plates, and he was the only one eating health. I don't know where his education came in but I liked this.

stanwshura profile image70

stanwshura says

• Abby Campbell profile image

Abby Campbell 4 years ago

Stan, why do you think that a "process of change" cannot benefit from schools requiring health and PE? Even 1 hour of education can be a part of that process at a different angle. As for me, PE was very active and well-taught. Just need good coaches.