irvinetraveller profile image 83

Is there help addressing the emotional and mental well-being of the elderly?

I have read numerous articles about the elderly suffering from depression and anxiety arising from various causes such as grief, loss, poor health, etc. However, in spite of the overwhelming numbers of the population classed as seniors and baby boomers retiring, I have not heard of a health provider offering mental health help for the elderly. It seems that there is utter neglect in addressing mental health problems and brushing everything concerning the elderly's mental and emotional weakness under the "Alzheimer's rug" . Or else, accepting aging as given and just learn to live with it.

SidKemp profile image94

Sid Kemp (SidKemp) says

• irvinetraveller profile image

irvinetraveller 3 years ago

Hi SidKemp. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, your insight on the elderly and knowledge. I should research meditative presence. You are a caring person.

Jlbowden profile image81

James Bowden (Jlbowden) says

• irvinetraveller profile image

irvinetraveller 3 years ago

Thanks, Jlbowden. You're right that the elderly succumb to emotional and mental issues. The doctors and social workers are vey busy. Drugs are easy to dispense. I shall research osteo.

Abby Campbell profile image93

Abby Campbell says

• irvinetraveller profile image

irvinetraveller 3 years ago

Thanks, Abby. You are absolutely correct. I just wish treatment was more freely given as some have no family to fight for them. Your daughter is a lucky one to have your love. Hugs.

Becky Katz profile image86

Becky Katz says

• irvinetraveller profile image

irvinetraveller 3 years ago

Your mother was lucky in finding that good doctor. I guess the science is there. The willingness to treat is a problem. Thanks, Becky, for sharing your experience and knowledge.

liesl5858 profile image82

Linda Bryen (liesl5858) says

• irvinetraveller profile image

irvinetraveller 3 years ago

You are absolutely correct in that friends and family should ask for help. The problem I have seen is that social services and the medical community are quick to dismiss the elderly's problems and it is quite a struggle to get the help. Thank you.