My son has Autism and he has some mood issues as well. In working with him, I've learned how to enhance my own moods.
It's funny I saw this today because just this morning I was talking to another mom at my son's school. She had no idea my child has Autism. She always sees us walking on the school path and my son always says hello. She wanted to find out our story because she never saw us going to that school before. I've lived here forever, but my son went to a different school last year where they had trained staff to work with Autistic children. This year he is mainstreamed. What's funny is that she is a therapist! I didn't know that. Now I have another connection for my son. The list is expanding.
However, to answer your question, what steps am I taking to enhance my mental health?
1) The past 2 years have been devastating for my family. My son was diagnosed with Autism and we've been seeking treatment and therapy for him. I've been ill and have had numerous surgeries to contend with. It's amazing I'm able to function at all.
2) I look at each day as an opportunity. I'm walking again after the paralysis incident Dec. 2012. I haven't needed another surgery in a few months. I finally paid off my last hospital bill.
3) I keep in mind that there are a lot of people out there worse off. Every time I share my story, I find out about someone else who has got it 10x worse than I do, and then I realize, why the heck am I complaining ?
4) I look at people for the good in them. I don't dwell on the bad. I try to think what if I was in that person's shoes. I try to help others and it makes me glad to do so.
5) I have been eating better. Cut back on coffee. Increased healthier foods and snacks in to my diet. I am also cutting out gluten which has seemed to help my health even.
6) I also have let go of the past. I have walked away from situations I can't change such as relatives who just want to make war instead of peace.
7) I stopped interacting with FB relatives who do nothing but create drama and strife.
8) I found an outlet here on HP where I can write and hopefully help someone who is going through what I've been through already, and maybe they can heal through my words.
Good post. Thank you for asking!