Alistair Olver profile image 71

Are people who diet too focused on calorie counting, rather than the nutrient content?

With food only having 20% of its nutritional value compared with 60 years ago, is it not this decline in nutrient content and the increased consumption of processed food the real reason why people feel the need to diet? Should we not be encouraging people to eat fresh, properly grown foods rather than dietary foods which are nutritionally poor and probably have negative health consequences further down the line?

• Paul Kemp profile image

Paul Kemp 3 years ago

I generally agree with you. What I would add to this is a full range of supplemental nutrients that aren't in sufficient supply in our soils. I also think going gluten-free is wise. I agree, we need to totally avoid the bad stuff.

Billrrrr profile image83

Bill Russo (Billrrrr) says

• Laceylinks profile image

Mary Green (Laceylinks) 3 years ago

I agree about the leaves and the counting calories, but as for the meat...vegetables are the best option for optimizing your health. Meat should be minimal, and as a matter of fact you are probably better off without it.

Jim O'Connell profile image61

Jim O'Connell says

Paul Kemp profile image79

Paul Kemp says