CraftytotheCore profile image 83

Are panic attacks common after the loss of a loved one?

Last week was my grandfather's funeral. It took a few days to overcome the feeling of deep sadness. Then I felt back to normal again this past weekend. Yesterday though I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I had chest pain, and then a panic attack. I never felt this way before. I am just wondering if this is something experienced after the loss of a loved one?

CrisSp profile image84

CrisSp says

• CraftytotheCore profile image

CraftytotheCore 4 years ago

Thank you CrisSp. I felt much better today. The children played in the snow because school was cancelled. The beautiful snowflakes were so peaceful. Hopefully I won't experience those panic feelings again. It was horrible.

bethperry profile image93

Beth Perry (bethperry) says

• CraftytotheCore profile image

CraftytotheCore 4 years ago

Thank you so much Beth! I had a better day today. No panic feeling or chest pains at all. I'm hoping it was a one-time occurrence.

mbwalz profile image89

MaryBeth Walz (mbwalz) says

• CraftytotheCore profile image

CraftytotheCore 4 years ago

Thank you! Yes, I have not had much me time since my grandfather's passing. The children have no school today because of snow, and I'm finding it very difficult to concentrate on anything. Loud noises are making me feel on edge.

lambservant profile image96

Lori Colbo (lambservant) says

• CraftytotheCore profile image

CraftytotheCore 4 years ago

Thank you so much Lori! I was so surprised at how hard my grandfather's death hit me last week. I wasn't expecting to grieve him so deeply as I did after the funeral. The day he died I felt so much at peace that his suffering was over.

• CraftytotheCore profile image

CraftytotheCore 4 years ago

Hello! It was in the center of my chest. It's gone today, but it came on quite suddenly. I felt almost like I had a palpitation and then I went into a panic state. It was very scary. My heart was racing, my mind was racing. Thank you.

Tom Mukasa profile image78

Tom Mukasa says

• CraftytotheCore profile image

CraftytotheCore 4 years ago

That explains it very well Tom! At first I felt at peace when he passed. A few days later, I was angry. Then I was deeply saddened. I guess those are the normal parts of grieving. He was my father. Bio grandpa, but he adopted me at a young age.