ChristinS profile image 93

Why do people feel compelled to lie if the truth would be easier to face than the lie?

I know someone who is a compulsive liar. This person feels compelled to lie to not "look bad" to others when he makes a mistake, however the lies he tells are whoppers and create much more problems for him than just telling the truth would in the first place. His fear of making people upset is so irrational, that he'll invent all sorts of dramas, as far as pretending to be the victim of a crime, so that people don't know he just lied about not showing up somewhere. What compels people to lie when the truth would serve them better?

Best Answer Paula (fpherj48) says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

so many excellent answers. Thanks for the detailed response will def read your hub when you do it!

bethperry profile image89

Beth Perry (bethperry) says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

def some mental issues going on and I too, cannot wrap my brain around why when you have already dug a small hole, you would use a backhoe to make it deeper instead of just coming clean - and repeatedly! Makes no sense to me.

CraftytotheCore profile image95

CraftytotheCore says

• fpherj48 profile image

Paula (fpherj48) 3 years ago

Oh my, Crafty.....dear, dear me....I believe there's a name for individuals like the one in your story....but it's not a medical term.... "NUTCASE !" Bless you for having the character to confront her!

mollymcphillips says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

I can see that, it is a compulsion for sure, but just one I can't wrap my brain around. It seems to me if you don't want to alienate people, you would instinctively not lie to them repeatedly. strange indeed and I can see sociopathy as key yep.