peeples profile image 88

Tips for teaching reading to autistic 8 yr old?

After several years of issues with my middle child we were told he is autistic just before the end of the school year. Even though he had no progress in reading last year they still passed him (even when I asked them not to) because of his science and math abilities. I'm trying a good bit of tips online this summer with no improvement. I'd ask what I am doing wrong but since none of you are here, I will simply ask HOW do I teach him to read? He's almost 9, going into the third grade, and I am worried they will keep passing him even though he is not on grade level.

jjackson786 profile image91

Best Answer Jennifer (jjackson786) says

• peeples profile image

Peeples 2 years ago

It was too late in the school year to get an IE plan done. They also said it would take months to get one done (which seems to be a copout). He shouldn't have passed 1st, and he really shouldn't have passed 2md in my opinion.

Yousif Mohammed profile image59

Yousif (Yousif Mohammed) says

• peeples profile image

Peeples 2 years ago

Thank you for the link. I will check it out!