Amy Naylor profile image 80

Are you depressed?

I am asking because the recent news of Robin Williams' suicide has really hit me hard and I want whoever is reading this to know: you don't have to be ashamed of depression, it's an illness but not a weakness, you will be taken seriously if you speak up, and you will be helped. It's so sad that suffering like this has to be a part of the world. If you need a stranger to speak to (because sometimes that's easier) then please just ask. I hope you are okay. I really, really do.

RandallJonas profile image86

Randall Jonas (RandallJonas) says

• AngeShearer profile image

Angie Shearer (AngeShearer) 3 years ago

Thankyou Amy and Randall for your understanding of depression.....I've spent the last 37 years living in denial of certain events that have happened during my life span which has lead me to a downward spiral.....it has only been through my self heali

Alli Rose profile image77

Alli Rose Smith (Alli Rose) says

Venkatachari M profile image81

Venkatachari M says

CatherineGiordano profile image99

Catherine Giordano (CatherineGiordano) says

• Amy Naylor profile image

Amy Naylor 3 years ago

Sometimes it's really difficult to see the truth in that statement. The light in the tunnel feels like an oncoming train, I know that from experience but the fact that I got through it is proof that things really do get better.

brakel2 profile image81

Audrey Selig (brakel2) says

• Amy Naylor profile image

Amy Naylor 3 years ago

It saddens me to read about people claiming that it was selfish of him to commit suicide. In a state like that, he simply isn't capable of seeing past his worries. I hope you recover from your depression, and the media will celebrate his life too.

Marie Dalley says

• AngeShearer profile image

Angie Shearer (AngeShearer) 3 years ago

Wow Marie I loved what you had to say beautifully put. I to feel very deeply about Robin's circumstance its all to very real.

Michael Milec says

• RandallJonas profile image

Randall Jonas (RandallJonas) 3 years ago

Many I have known who reached the bottom and were clinically depressed for reasons that did not have to do with inheriting it from family sought a higher power. Many I have know who suffered mental ilness did seek a higher power. For some it worked.

LeslieAdrienne profile image82

Leslie A. Shields (LeslieAdrienne) says

AngeShearer profile image61

Angie Shearer (AngeShearer) says

• Amy Naylor profile image

Amy Naylor 3 years ago

You speak well and true about depression. Good for you for being strong enough to accept it and learn to get by. I hope that one day you break free of its reigns. (Though it makes for material for some bloody good poetry if you don't mind me saying!)

Michael-Milec profile image60

Michael-Milec says

JThomp42 3 years ago

I am a Christian as well. Do you not remember Paul asking God to remove his affliction 3 times? Clinical depression is not something one can decide to have or not to have. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Thank God you have not had to experi