Arachnea profile image 76

How long before my body stops being so sore and stiff. I recently returned to the gym after 20+ yrs.

I've been away from the gym scene for some time. When I used to go, I didn't worry about soreness because it went away within a day and only occurred when I increased weights or sets. Now it seems that even with doing only 1 set for each station and tolerable weights, I'm sore and stiff for days and it doesn't abate for my next gym visit. How long should I allow this to be the case before thinking something is seriously wrong?

teaches12345 profile image96

Dianna Mendez (teaches12345) says

• Arachnea profile image

Tanya Jones (Arachnea) 3 years ago

Thank you. I discovered that a stop at the stretching station helps with the soreness. I tend to bypass it in favor of getting home after working out. I'm working my way up from 12 reps to 15 reps before moving on to two sets for each station.

Lady Lorelei profile image85

Lorelei Cohen (Lady Lorelei) says

• Arachnea profile image

Tanya Jones (Arachnea) 3 years ago

Thank you. I hadn't thought about epsom salts. I'll keep that in mind about the 6th day. I appreciate your comments.

lafleurdeplume profile image60

Sarah LaFleur (lafleurdeplume) says

• Arachnea profile image

Tanya Jones (Arachnea) 3 years ago

Thank you for the advice. I do need to drink more water and less tea and coffee. One step at a time, I suppose. I didn't realize how much stretching can ease the soreness until I started doing so at the end of each workout.

christiananrkist says

• Arachnea profile image

Tanya Jones (Arachnea) 3 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement. I have a bad habit of blowing off the stretching. I bet that will help. I could always use more cardio for exercise.