brakel2 profile image 84

Why do you think the drug companies today spend so much money on media ads and not on research?

In the past, very few drugs were advertised, and it seems in the last ten years media overloads us with these ads. I know it is to make money, but whatever happened to finding cures and ensuring safety instead of treating symptoms?

Best Answer Larry Wall says

quildon profile image82

Angela Joseph (quildon) says

Larry Wall 2 years ago

Having been through a half-dozen surgeries, contraction of my throat, cataract surgery and a few other woes--I want a doctor to use the best equipment, and his knowledge. My doctor determined I was a Type II diabetic. He got me the facts. No pills,

aesta1 profile image94

Mary Norton (aesta1) says

Larry Wall 2 years ago

Your view about cures is not unusual or wrong. However, everything that needs medication may not be a cure. Pain medication following surgery, medicine to help control cholesterol and meds for bipolar disorder need maintenance. Cures not coming soon.

Faith Reaper profile image88

Faith Reaper says

Larry Wall 2 years ago

There is a lot of research, but you have to make money to afford research. Some meds are too expensive and insurance can be too picky but thr pill makers need a revenue stream to fund research.. Much of the research takes place at universities.

lisavollrath profile image94

Lisa Vollrath (lisavollrath) says

• brakel2 profile image

Audrey Selig (brakel2) 2 years ago

The US and New Zealand, I read, are the only countries that allow direct marketing to consumers. It is a big deal in the US, and takes up so much media time. It is a racket , and I agree with your opinion and other opinions here. Thanks for comments

lisavanvorst profile image79

Lisa VanVorst (lisavanvorst) says

liesl5858 profile image82

Linda Bryen (liesl5858) says

Marie Flint profile image90

Marie Flint says

Mayaanjali profile image51

Mayaanjali says

Larry Wall 2 years ago

I have to disagree. The driving force behind the ads is to get the product to the public before the patent runs our, or the FDA says it can be sold over the counter without a prescription. The generic industry, which only copies the majors work hard.