I know they say a 30-minute "power nap" is good for you during the day, but what if you sleep longer

30-minute "power naps" are supposed to be good for you during the day, but what if you sleep a lot longer than the 30 minutes, is that then bad for your health? I do not take "power naps" during the week at work, as I just cannot sleep in that atmosphere, but on the weekends I will take a nap in the afternoon. Sometimes though, I will sleep a bit longer than the 30 minutes and wonder if that is actually bad for one's health. I set the alarm, but turn it off and mean to get up but I must drift back to sleep. Thank you for clarifying this issue.

arksys profile image91

Best Answer Irfan (arksys) says

Oh, wow, Irfan, thank you for the great insight into sleep, very interesting! Yes, I will wake up but then drift back to sleep. I guess my body does need the extra sleep.

Tusitala Tom profile image90

Tom Ware (Tusitala Tom) says

Thank you so much, Tom, for taking time to answer. Yes, my husband was in the Air Force and he trained himself to do the same thing and can just wake up without an alarm after a short nap. I will not be concerned about the longer naps then.

Jackie Lynnley profile image77

Jackie Lynnley says

Thanks Jackie, it does not keep me from sleeping at night either. I guess our bodies let us know when we need more rest, especially after having a busy week.

Hello Tim, wow, that is very interesting. Thank you for sharing. Yes, sometimes it feels like twilight sleep as one knows what's going on around us. Then I know I go into a deep sleep and it is hard to awaken.

Sparklea profile image77

Sparklea says

Hi Sparklea, Thank you for answering. Yes, I am unable to take a nap during the week, but on the weekend, I seem to have to take one in the mid-afternoon for some reason. Sleep is so important for our minds and bodies to rejuvenate. I will look!

connorj profile image79

John Connor (connorj) says

Oh, wow, how interesting, John! Thank you for sharing the added insight here. Yes, we should take after the Italians who shut down for their afternoon siesta.

loveafrica profile image60

loveafrica says

Hi Loveafrica, Thank you for answering. Yes, if you do not have to wake up and can just sleep and wake up naturally does sound best.