MarieLB profile image 83

Is it really mental illness if we are sad and depressed?

Western Medicine will have us believe that many of us are sick in the head, because we are not happy and content with our lot. Is that mental illness, and should it be treated by drugs, especially when prescribed for many years even when given to a child? Yet in Tibet and India, they do not even use such words as “anxiety, depression, bi-polar”! The mind of a child is filled with visions of a future life as in the ‘fairy tales’ on TV. When this does not unfold as expected, some become sad and disappointed. Is it right to set up that bar for everyone to reach?

Paul Kemp profile image76

Best Answer Paul Kemp says

• MarieLB profile image

MarieLB 2 years ago

Hi Paul Kemp. Thanks for stopping by. Your answer truly resonates with my kind of logic, and you have mentioned so many important points for good mental health.

As you say, we really owe it to ourselves to help our body to cope with the stresses.

Phyllis Doyle profile image97

Phyllis Doyle Burns (Phyllis Doyle) says

• MarieLB profile image

MarieLB 2 years ago

You are absolutely correct Phyllic Doyle Burns. There is a big difference.

Would you say that there are times however, when a period of low spirits are "read" [by the doctor] as depression, schizophrenia or similar illnesses? Thanks again Phyllis.

vrbmft profile image81

Vernon Bradley (vrbmft) says

• MarieLB profile image

MarieLB 2 years ago

Hi Vernon Bradley, It is clear that you have the skills for a balanced view of what it is to be human and to that acknowledge that the 'wear and tear of living' can affects us badly.

I am so glad you stopped by to share your thoughts with us.

• MarieLB profile image

MarieLB 2 years ago

Thanks for your response Tim Mitchell. My response had to go to an answering field, as I could not fit into the comment area.

MarieLB profile image83

MarieLB says

• tsmog profile image

Tim Mitchell (tsmog) 2 years ago

Your welcome. Thank you too :-) I am not sure of children. Living on antidepressants is a large question. Anti-depressants do not have to be taken for a lifetime just like we do not have to take aspirin all the time. Medicating is a whole new area.

radhapriestess profile image65

radhapriestess says

• MarieLB profile image

MarieLB 2 years ago

Thank you radhapriestess. These are my concerns, that we tend to reach out for drugs for any situation that is not 'typical'. You have pinpointed a valid point that I know very little about. I know that in Asia the view is vastly different. Thanks

quildon profile image81

Angela Joseph (quildon) says

• MarieLB profile image

MarieLB 2 years ago

Yes, Angela Joseph, you have described the criteria for diagnosis very accurately; at times, medical intervention is necessary. I do feel concerned when I hear of schoolkids being dosed with anti-depressants. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.