Medusa13 profile image 86

How would you raise the self-esteem of an 8 year with a low self-concept?

My son has Tourette Syndrome and anxiety. He has had a low self-esteem since about the age of 4. He is bright and does well in school, but has social skills deficits. He loves being with friends, but tries to control situations. He is not a big fan of the sports actitivites as we have tried many, and he fights us on going to them. He hates being watched in any type of activity and doesn't want us to stay during the events (soccer games, wrestling, etc.). He is extremely clever and hilarious, but hates getting compliments. I need creative ways of how to boost this unique child's self-image.

quildon profile image83

Angela Joseph (quildon) says

• Medusa13 profile image

Chelsea Rowe (Medusa13) 2 years ago

I wish it was true that he didn't have a low self-esteem. His self-deprivating comments are very frequent, especially in school. He will only accept compliments if they are specific and in the moment, and I do my best to accommodate this need at home

connorj profile image80

John Connor (connorj) says

• Medusa13 profile image

Chelsea Rowe (Medusa13) 2 years ago

He is starting an instrument next year.However, the struggle will be the concerts as he hates being watched/the center of attention.He had an anxiety attack yesterday as I went to watch his soccer game.If he feels he will fail, he won't attempt it.

• Medusa13 profile image

Chelsea Rowe (Medusa13) 2 years ago

You are correct. He focuses on the negatives. His dad and I are trying to find ways for him to interact with kids his age more often where there is little pressure on him to perform or compete which would cause anxiety.

TheBizWhiz says

• Medusa13 profile image

Chelsea Rowe (Medusa13) 2 years ago

His father and I did try that when he was 5. He didn't like it and doesn't want to try it again. I really wish he would as I know it could help him in that area. Pushing him to do it just raises his anxiety. :(