There is no dependency. This is a fallacy. Just because someone is struggling tos survive and relies on benefits doesn't mean that they have a dependent attitude.
They have a choice. Either starve to death and be on the streets, or take a 'handout.'
What would you do if you had no other options?
There are only jobs for 75% of the people, and that's the case in both the US and the UK. What must the other 25% of people do?
There is only so much stuff that people can buy, so the markets are dying as well. Without a market to sell goods to, there are fewer and fewer jobs.
Millennials no longer want stuff. They prefer experience. Minimalism is growing.
Capitalism relies on markets. If the market is diminishing, so are jobs.
I am highly motivated and have always been a self-starter. I know many like me. We cannot find work. We do not have the capital to start successful businesses. We struggle on, but we deeply resent the implication that we lack motivation, intelligence, education, etc.
More than anyone else, precisely because we are highly educated, well informed, and pretty bright, we understand that this is a systemic problem. Human beings naturally look after themselves. They hate the indignity of having to rely on others. By the time they do that, the struggle has been intense, and they have taken a solution that they don't like.
The solution is not blaming people who can't find jobs. It is creating a new paradigm - one where production and distribution is linked to sustainability, need, and fairness for all.