* You can't get through the day without a drink, regardless of your excuse for it. That you MUST have it to relax, unwind, socialize, sleep.
* That you cannot handle certain events without drinks like dates, social gatherings.
* You hide and lie about drinking. (Others would know it was too much if they knew too much, and you know it too, so you lie.)
* Withdrawal symptoms if you don't have a drink - this is a medical indicator. Shaking, anxiety, a sick stomach if you don't have alcohol in your system
* You black out from drinking, ever
* Neglecting responsibilities from missing work to failing to supervise children
* You drink when it is dangerous but the pleasure matters more, whether drinking and driving or boating
* You would rather your spouse leave you over drinking than stop drinking
* You have a health condition made worse by alcohol but choose to drink, knowing it will make your health worse