Bags under Eyes
Bags under Eyes are the swelling that appears under the eyes as you are getting old. They are very common, and they are caused by multiple factors combined together. They are usually a great cosmetic concern, especially for women.
Bags under Eyes photos:Click thumbnail to view full-size
There are no significant symptoms that may associate bags under eyes, except for their annoying appearance. Bags under eyes are usually presented by:
- Swelling under your eye.
- Your under-eye skin becomes loose and sometimes saggy.
- Dark circles around your eyes.
You should be assured that bags under eyes are harmless and you can manage it at your home alone. However, eye puffiness may be a symptom of an underlying medical problem. So, if you notice any symptoms accompanying them such as redness, pain, itching or if your swelling is severe or appears on other parts of your body, you should see a doctor.
Bags under Eyes are caused by a group of factors contributing to the appearance of swelling of your skin under your eyes. The changes that accompany aging do most of the job. As you are getting old, your skin along with your muscles, including those of your eyelids, lose their strength. So, the skin under your eyes begins to appear loose. Sometimes, the fat supporting your eyes migrates to the area under your eyes by the effect of gravity and weak eye muscles. In certain cases, fluids may accumulate in this area making it appear puffy.
In general, there are other factors, besides aging, which may lead to bags under eyes, such as:
- Genetic predisposition.
- All causes of retention of fluid inside the body, such as weather changes, hormonal disturbances and eating salty foods.
- Sleeping for inappropriate period.
- Allergy and it is usually accompanied with redness and itching.
- Lying flat on your back for long period of time.
Bags under eyes usually cause anxiety and are an annoying cosmetic concern, especially for women. However, they aren’t a serious problem, and can be easily managed. You can even deal with them by just only home treatments and few lifestyle modifications.
Home Treatment of Bags under Eyes
You can restore your eye beauty and get rid of these annoying bags under your eyes with just few tips. These tips can reduce or even eliminate your bags under eyes completely, and they include:
How to manage the Bags under your eye:Click thumbnail to view full-size
- Cool compressions: You can make cool compressions by wetting a clean piece of cloth or cotton with cool water, but not too cold, and then apply them over the skin under and around your eyes for about ten minutes every day. These cool compressions make your blood vessels constrict, relieving your swelling. Mild pressure over the compressions makes the results more significant.
- Sleep for appropriate time: Bags under eyes are more obvious when you are tired. You should try to sleep for appropriate period every night. In general, six to eight hours every night are sufficient.
- Raise your head while sleeping: During sleeping, fluids may accumulate around your eyes, due to absent gravity. It is recommended to elevate your head a little more during sleeping to prevent this. You can add an additional pillow below your head or raise the entire head of bed if possible.
- Control your allergies: If you know that certain substances, foods or drugs cause you allergy, you should avoid them as much as possible. Also, hair dyes, certain types of soaps and cosmetics may cause allergy. Talk to your doctor about how to reduce it, and about over-the-counter drugs for allergy that you can safely use.
How to conceal the dark skin under your eyes?
Medical treatment of Bags under eyes
You doctor may recommend certain types of skin treatments to improve your appearance and eliminate the puffiness of your eyes. Laser resurfacing and chemical peels improve your skin texture and make it more tighten. Therefore, they may help to improve your eye swelling, and make your eyes appear younger.
Surgical treatment of Bags under eyes
Eyelid surgery, also known as Blepharoplasty, is a cosmetic procedure done to improve the appearance of your eyes by removing the excess skin and fats.
Blepharoplasty is an effective treatment for bags under eyes. During this procedure, your surgeon makes an incision just below your eye lashes or inside your lower eyelid. The excess skin and fats are removed then to tighten the skin of this area. This procedure leaves behind no scars as stitches are made, depending on the initial incision, either just below your eye lashes along the natural eye crease or from inside.
During the same sitting, your surgeon may also repair:
- Puffy upper eyelid.
- Excess skin of the upper eyelid.
- Dropping of the lower eyelid, a condition called ectropion, and it may lead to repeated eye inflammation.
- Excess skin of the lower eyelid.