Powerful Natural Remedies for Depression
The definition of depression ranges from a sensation of sorrow and gloominess, to absolute desolation, wretchedness and despair. Depression covers a host of emotional, psychological and physical manifestations, and has become a rather common ailment these days.
Treating depression is of utmost importance at the very outset of the illness; contemporary medicine as well as alternative treatment for depression yields good results.
What Causes Depression?
Depression can develop because of a host of reasons. The commonest being:
- Continuous anxiety and anguish, continual stress and emotional upheaval
- Inconsistent and frenzied lifestyle
- Faulty dietary pattern
- Hormonal changes
- Too much consumption of alcohol and excessive smoking
- Drug abuse
Symptoms of Depression
Depression is characterized by:
- No interest in everyday things
- Sadness and melancholia
- Episodes of crying
- Apathy and lack of concern about anything and anyone
- Loss of appetite or increased appetite
- Sleep pattern gets affected
- Petulance and bad temper
- Gastric upsets
You Lose Interest in Day to Day Activities and Have Bouts of Crying
Herbal Treatment for Depression
- Rose: Rose is an excellent tonic for the entire system. Have a glass of rose tea daily. It has an uplifting effect on the nervous system and helps allay depression, insomnia and exhaustion.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon has a warming and soothing effect. Have 1 teaspoon of pounded cinnamon with a tablespoon of honey, twice daily.
- Bergamot essential oil: Bergamot is a 'sunny' oil; it makes you happy and uplifts your spirit significantly. Use the essential oil as a mood perfume.
Easy to Follow Guidelines to Battle Depression
The successful management of depression needs an integration of multiple approaches such as: diet planning, everyday life modifications, regular exercise, practicing relaxation techniques and psycho-therapy. Equally important is family support and understanding.
1. Making lifestyle changes is the most vital feature of depression management. Make sure that you pursue a consistent lifestyle pattern - eat a nutritious, wholesome diet, exercise on a regular basis at least thrice a week and follow a leisure pursuit. This will help create an enthusiasm for life and chase away gloominess and melancholia.
2. Mood foods are exceedingly beneficial in uplifting the mood. Mood foods assuage sorrow, anxiety and grief and inspire a sensation of well being. Ensure that you consume bananas, whole wheat, spinach, egg white, fresh fruits and nuts at regular intervals of time. These help boost your 'happy' hormones.
3. Learning to control your emotions and channelizing negative emotions and thoughts into harmonious vibrations is the key. It may seem difficult in the beginning; nonetheless, once you incorporate a relaxation technique in to your everyday routine, things will fall in to place. Yoga asanas and meditation are potent tools that help battle depression. Yoga suffuses peace and stillness. It balances your emotions and helps deal with the stress better. Yoga heals the body, mind and soul and makes you feel alive and cheerful. It will help you let go of the past and live in the present.
Along with these, therapy and counseling, support from family and friends and a very strong resolve on your part will get you out of the depressive phase.