Diet with the Bible 2:1 - Portion Size - A Great Way to Start
Stage 2 ~ Strategy One: Portion Control
After two weeks of getting used to meeting small goals, SparkPeople moves us into Stage 2. This is where we learn healthy habits for life. There are six of these healthy habits and you'll find that SparkPeople takes you through each habit in one week. I found when I went through the SparkPeople Diet, I needed at least two weeks on each habit to really make it part of my lifestyle. Even now I need reminders. In fact if you've already completed the SparkDiet Stages, you might want to take this opportunity to review as you complete the Bible Study.
Because of my experience with the Healthy Diet Habits, Stage 2 of this SparkPeople Bible Study will take 12 weeks. You'll also discover that this study was written to be used by a group. There are questions in nearly every lesson that are geared to get the group to help you meet your goals. If you are doing this study alone, I encourage you to make a list of things your friends, spouse or colleagues could do to help you on your journey to a healthy lifestyle. Then take that list to them and ask for their assistance. It's so much easier if you don't have to go it alone!
I also encourage you to read SparkPeople's Overview of Stage 2 before you begin. This will give you a good idea of what you'll be doing over the next 6-12 weeks.
Are you ready to get started? Come on! I know you can do it!
Stage 2 ~ Step 1 ~ Week One
Everything in Moderation
While you won't find those exact words in the Bible, it's a recurring theme. Today we're going to look at some verses to help us put a Biblical basis behind this week's goal of "Portion Control."
I Timothy 3:2 & 11 & Galatians 5:22-23
- You may not be a deacon, an overseer or even the wife of one, but a growing Christian should include "temperate" and "self-controlled" in their personal description. What do these words mean to you in terms of how you eat?
- In what other areas of your life do you need to use self-control? (Temper, TV, Internet, Reading, Games, etc)
- What one thing can you do to help you develop self-control in eating or other areas?
I Corinthians 6:12-13
- What does this verse mean to you in terms of your eating?
- Consider that your body was made for the Lord. How does this effect your plan?
- What can this group do to help you develop self-control in these areas?
- How will developing self-control in these areas make your Christian Witness more believable?
Articles from Spark People for this week:
Healthy Diet Habits Habit #1 - Portion Control
Moderation in All Things
Stage 2 ~ Step One ~ Week 2
Controlling our Actions
For the next two weeks we're going to work on controlling our portions. This requires self control. Let's look at the many different ways we might need to control ourselves.
- How does a city whose walls are broken down really compare to a person who has no self control?
- In what ways has your life felt like a city whose walls are broken down?
- How could having more self control help rebuild your walls?
I Thessalonians 4:3-8
- These verses obviously refer to control over sexual immorality, but for our discussion today, let's look at them without the references to that.
It is God's will that you should be sanctified: . . .  that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, . . .  For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life.  Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit.
- What does it mean to make your eating and fitness "holy & honorable?" Would you say that your eating and fitness regimen could be called "holy & honorable"?
- What can this group do to help you be pure and/or holy in your eating and fitness?
- What can you do in your own life to help your lifestyle become more holy and pure?
This week's articles:
The Portion Distortion Guide
4 Keys to a Smart Nutrition Plan
Books I recommend
These books helped me out a lot before I found SparkPeople. They'll give you some great foundation for what you learn at church and Bible Study as well as weight loss.