I Hate Brussel Sprouts!
I have no doubt that I am not the only one who hates Brussels Sprouts however a little research has shown me that there is much to appreciate about them. If you have avoided these 'little cabbages', as I have, there is a lot of evidence to show that we are missing out on the many benefits Brussels Sprouts have to offer. My journey from "I hate Brussels Sprouts" to the truth about Brussels Sprouts is of interest to anyone who is seeking a healthy lifestyle.
Sprouting An Attitude
I hate Brussels Sprouts. I have no idea who Brussels is or why he or she thought his or her sprouts would be a welcome addition to the food chain but, in my humble estimation Brussels sprouted one of the most obnoxious 'edibles' visited on mankind. Brussels Sprouts may look cute but they taste vile and they may be small but no amount of camouflage can hide their big, nasty taste.
When I was a child I was corrected when I used the word hate in the same sentence with Brussels Sprouts. I was told that "hate isn't a nice word" and was counseled to change my phrasing to "I don't like Brussels Sprouts." That did not work for me, I don't like spilling something on a clean blouse; I don't like opera music all that much; and I don't like running out of toilet paper but Brussels Sprouts, I hate.
When I have cast around in the theatre of my mind for something to like about Brussels Sprouts the only attribute that I have found I can admire is that Brussels Sprouts have integrity. Regardless of how unpopular they may be; the nasty faces that are made in their presence and the unkind things that get said about them, Brussels Sprouts go right on being Brussels Sprouts regardless. Most of us, when we are bombarded with negative images and opinions about us try to change who we are just so that others will like us. Not Brussels Sprouts, those little guys will just go on being what they are no matter what you or I may visit upon them.
There are foods that I love and foods that I like and only two foods that I hate, BS and Haggis! Where love is the degree of closeness and warmth one has to a who or a what, hate is the degree of distance or coldness one has to a who or a what. Brussels Sprouts and Haggis leave me cold and I have resolved the issue by keeping my distance from them. But my admiration for the integrity of the Brussels Sprout led me to doing a little research. The result of that research has me feeling a warmer towards them to the point that I am seriously considering getting a little closer to a sprout or two. Love requires truth and I found out some truths about Brussels Sprouts that may have other sprout haters reevaluating their relationship to this little green vegetable.
In fact, what I found out about Brussels Sprouts warmed me to them considerably.
- They are full of Vitamin K - essential for the functioning of several proteins involved in blood clotting.
- They are full of Vitamin C - required for the synthesis of collagen, an important structural component of blood vessels, tendons, ligaments, and bone. And, along with other benefits it plays an important role in the synthesis of the neurotransmitter, norepinephrine. Neurotransmitters are critical to brain function and they are known to have a beneficial affect on one's mood.
- They contain glucosinolates that help prevent the development of colon cancer. (Having a young daughter who has had colon this warms me up to Brussels Sprouts considerably.) They literally cause cancer cells to commit suicide!
- They have phytonidrients that aid the body's natural immune system
- They reduce DNA damage
- They contain large amounts of vitamin A and beta-carotene which not only help the body fight infection it also promotes supple, glowing skin.
- Cardiovascular benefits
- Protect the body against Rheumatoid Arthritis
You see where I'm going with this? Do you understand why I am warming up to these little green vegatables? Three to five servings (one cup per serving) on a weekly basis and Brussels Sprouts more than make up for their taste! I may abhor the taste of Brussels Sprouts but I definitely warming up to their benefits and am very close to finding a few good recipes.
What Say You?
How Do You Feel About Brussels Sprouts?
The Sprout Tribe Is Forming!
Hubalicious Brussels Sprouts
- Brussel Sprouts: Sweet and Delish
My entire life I've gagged, literally just gagged, at the thought of eating brussel sprouts. All I ever heard about them were negative remarks. Ew, brussel sprouts! Or Yuck, those are nasty! Why would I want...
- The Gardener's Kitchen: Brussels Sprouts
Brussels sprouts or Brussel sprouts, it does not matter which spelling you use all that matters is that you give them a try. I have found that this cruciferous, cold loving vegetable is one the...
- Brussel Sprouts
Brussel sprouts are not a very exciting vegetable for most people. It is also one of those foods that most people do not enjoy eating. If you're stuck in a veggie rut try these recipe ideas for these cute...