- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
Treat Gout with Cherries
Gout is a condition that is characterized by accumulation of uric acid in the body which can result in inflammation of joints and impairment of the kidneys. Cherries contain antioxidants which are beneficial in the treatment of gout and its symptoms. This article provides information about the various cherry recipes and tips to help treat gout naturally.
What is Gout?
Gout is characterized by inflammation of the afflicted joint which occurs because of large concentrations of uric acid in the blood. Uric acid gets released by purine decomposition. Uric acid crystals accumulate in joints, kidneys and other tissues of the body, where inflammation and ensuing impairment occurs.
Cherries are packed with powerful antioxidants and essential nutrients. Cherries help treat gout successfully and reduce levels of uric acid effectively.
How do Cherries Treat Gout?
Cherries bring about quick amelioration in the symptoms of gout. An individual diagnosed with gout has abnormally high levels of uric acid in the blood. The body manufactures unnecessary amounts of uric acid or eliminates very little. Consequently, uric acid levels in the blood escalate. Over a period of time, uric acid crystals form. The crystals build up in the joints, and trigger swelling and pain.
Cherries contain loads of anthocyanidins, that have a potent antioxidant and anti inflammatory effect; thereby, fighting of inflammation and swelling significantly. Anthocyanidins suppress the action of the enzyme xanthine oxidase which is responsible for the manufacture of uric acid.
Research says, consuming 250 grams of cherries daily reduces the uric acid levels considerably and prevents attacks of gouty pains.
Furthermore, anthocyanidins get in the way COX 1 and 2 enzymes, and thus function as powerful anti inflammatory agents decreasing swelling and pain successfully.
Cherries in your Daily Menu: Cherry Recipes for Gout
Here are a few excellent and scrumptious ideas to integrate cherries in to the everyday meal:
- Cherry soup is an excellent way of consuming the prescribed quantity of the fruit. Sour or sweet cherries may be used for the soup.
- Another delectable option is making cherry shortcakes. Cheery shortcake is a delicious, yet, nutritious dessert.
- Use cherries and yogurt to make a nourishing and nutritious smoothie.
Incorporate Cherries in to your Daily Diet
Dietary and Lifestyle Guidelines to Prevent Exacerbations
While cherries are considered potent natural treatment for gout, it is vital that you make certain dietary as well as lifestyle changes, to manage the condition better. Here are some recommended tips:
- Ensure that you consume less amounts of purine-rich foods, like, organ meat, herring, mackerel, anchovies, legumes, peas, yeast, mushroom, shellfish, and spinach. A low-purine, low-protein, and low-fat promises complete freedom from gout.
- Steer clear of carbonated drinks and alcohol.
- Stay well hydrated and make sure that you drink 3 liters or more water per day. Water flushes the system clean and expels built up uric acid crystals.
- Moreover, experts recommend exercising daily; in case it is not possible to work out every day, at least try to exercise thrice a week. Exercising will help reduce stiffness and pain associated with gouty arthritis and will also improve the range of motion appreciably.