Choosing a Cosmetic Dentist: What to Look For
How To Find A Good Cosmetic Dentist
A fantastic smile begins with great teeth. If you are planning to have your teeth professionally enhanced or improved, you should take care to find a skilled and experienced cosmetic dentist that you can count on to deliver the smile you set out for. Many people do not realize that the term cosmetic dentist is used very liberally and does not necessarily mean that a dentist has had any training in creating a whiter, straighter, or just generally good looking smile. This means you should do your homework when you go out to find a cosmetic dentist.
Within this article I will be covering 3 major areas that you should look for when choosing a cosmetic dentist. These areas are: training and experience, professionalism, and staff/office. I've listed a few points in each of these areas that you should keep an eye out for. In being proactive about your choice you will considerably lessen your chances of getting ripped off. Most dentists are very reputable people but like all humans there are some bad apples and hopefully you will be able to catch them before they charge your credit card.
If you are located in West Vancouver, BC, Canada I also supply direction where you can come to my office and get your questions answered in person. I hope you'll find this article interesting and please leave any comments and I'll do my best to answer them.
Below are important qualities to look for:
Training and Experience
Your dentist should have knowledge and credentials and actively keep up with advancements in cosmetic dentistry. Look for the following:
- Specialization A good cosmetic dentist should have specific experience or training in dentistry (cosmetic, preventative, and restorative), in addition to caring about your overall oral health. Look for dentists who have advanced training in dental restoration and aesthetics. If you live in the United States, it is best to find a dentist who is accredited by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry.
- Continued Education Good cosmetic dentists attend conferences and workshops through groups or at dentistry schools. This keeps them up to date with changes in technology and methodology to provide the best dental treatments. Ask your dentist to tell you about the research initiatives he or she is involved in, and to describe the training courses he or she has attended in the previous year.
- Involvement in Professional Societies Dentists who are committed to quality cosmetic dentistry join and actively take part in local dental societies. Find out how involved your dentist is.
Because many advanced cosmetic dentistry treatments involve multiple stages and steps, it is a good idea to choose a dentist who you will feel comfortable working with for an extended time. You will want to look for the following qualities in your cosmetic dentist:
- Honesty Your dentist should help you understand what is truly possible from your dental treatment. Rather than making vague claims and promises, a good cosmetic dentist will give you solid solutions and realistic expectations.
- Patience Your dentist should listen to your concerns and goals and take the time to answer all your questions thoroughly.
- Helpful Resources A good cosmetic dentist should be ready to provide you with before and after photos of previous dental work he or she has done, as well as testimonials from past patients. The best cosmetic dentists often have loyal patients who are happy to share their perspectives on the treatment processes they have undergone, so it is also worth seeing if you can get in touch with past patients who have had treatments similar to the one you are interesting in having done on your teeth.
Staff and Office
Not only should you evaluate your potential cosmetic dentist – you should also consider the dental staff and the office:
- Staff Look for staff members who are polite, professional, accommodating, and well-informed. They should be well-trained to make you feel at ease and welcome. Feel free to inquire about the credentials of the staff and how long they have worked with this dentist.
- Technology Find out what kind of equipment the office has, and how often the technology is upgraded and updated. Newer technology usually creates a more comfortable experience for you.
- Cleanliness Make note of how hygienic the facility and sterilization products look. You will want to make sure that cleanliness is a top priority at any dental office!
Our Cosmetic Dental Office In West Vancouver
Because a good cosmetic dentist is someone you will likely find yourself returning to again and again to keep your teeth looking fantastic, it is worth doing your research to choose the right one the first time. Dr. Ali Behmard and his team at Park Royal Village Dental Centre are a great option for both cosmetic and general dentistry in West Vancouver. They exhibit all of the above-mentioned qualities and come with great testimonials from dental patients. They also make a great model of what to look for in a cosmetic dentist if you live outside of Vancouver.
What Kind Of Cosmetic Dentistry Are You Looking Into?
Tell us what kind of cosmetic dentistry you are looking into and we'll try to get a new lens out to explore your different options.
What kind of cosmetic dentistry are you looking into?
Want to Visit us in person?
Below is where you can find us if you live in West Vancouver or the greater Vancouver area.
Whatever You Do Don't Pick This Cosmetic Dentist - Bad Dentist
Books About Cosmetic Dentistry
Here are a few books that deal with cosmetic dentistry.
We welcome any comments or questions you may have about cosmetic dentistry.