Metals: Copper Allergies
It isn't a common allergy but it does happen.
Metals are not something which our body usually needs but copper is one of the few metals which our body does require to maintain optimum health.
Like all the other little components that come together to give our life balance, our key to good health lies in never having too much, or too little of this essential metal within us.
Copper is an essential element for human immune system health, but as with most substances which we ingest, things can go wrong, and cause an allergy to occur. Copper allergies are not common but they do occur.
Elements from copper cookware absorb into food and liquid as it cooks. It is also naturally occurring within some foods.
The uses of copper are many and our body is one area where this metal is required.
Copper (cu) is one of the basic metal elements within our environment, it is also present in the systems of most plants and animals, and a proper balance of this metal is essential for maintaining the good health of living systems. It is one of few metals required by the body.
When copper is ingested it travels mainly through the blood. Copper is absorbed within the gut, then transported from there to the liver where it is released into bile, from which it can be excreted from the body. While in the body copper plays a key role in the absorption of nutrients and electron transference.
The human body does not synthesize copper so it must be replenished within the human system on a regular basis; this is the reasoning as to why it is so vitally important for us to insure that we have sufficient amounts of this essential element in our diets.
We absorb copper from bowls and cookware made of this metal.
Practical and vintage in appearance. Copper is an amazing cookware option. Gleaming copper bowls, dishes, pots and pans are absolutely gorgeous.
It is not rare but you can have an allergy to copper?
Copper, also known as the basic element Cu, is a metal which aids the body in absorbing the vitamins and minerals such as zinc and iron into it. Copper also aides in the functioning of biological enzymes, electron transfers, and the formulation of red blood cells within the body. Copper is as essential to our overall health as are all the other vitamins and minerals which we consume.
But just as it is important to have an adequate supply of copper in our body so too is it important to not have an excess of this metal to prevent an allergic reaction from occurring. Too much copper will cause a severe imbalance of vitamins into the body. An insufficient absorption of folic acid, zinc, vitamin C and other important vitamins and minerals may occur.
Copper settles in the liver so the liver will be affected, and as the toxic effect increases, the overabundance of copper will move into other key organs within the body. Disability and eventually death can occur. Thirty grams of copper sulfate is sufficient to be a potentially lethal dose in humans.
Wilson's disease: A case study
Copper is one of few metals that we do require for good health. Copper jewelry is beautifully fashionable.
Symptoms of an intolerance to copper.
Copper poisoning usually occurs from a gradual buildup within the body of this metal which slowly poisons the living system. But a toxic intolerance to copper is extremely rare.
A study of thirty-seven patients who had used copper Inter Uterine Devices (IUD), and who showed negative health symptoms, were tested for allergies to copper, nickel and cobalt. Four of these individuals were found to be allergic to nickel, one to cobalt, and none to copper. This study shed light on the fact that it is generally an intolerance to other elements, or components, rather than copper which are more likely to be the cause of health problems in individuals.
If you do believe that you are suffering from a reaction to copper this form of toxicity can be determined by a hair mineral analysis.
Symptoms of copper allergy or poisoning may include green hair discoloration, metallic taste, nausea, circulatory problems, chills, convulsions, anemia, headaches, bloody or blue in color diarrhea, fever, liver failure, arthritic symptoms, muscle aches, difficulty urinating, yellow eyes, yellow skin, or vomiting.
Allergies are more common than you might first imagine.
Do you suffer from an allergy or intolerance to a substance.
Older copper pennies have a high concentration of copper.
What cause an allergy to copper to occur?
The chief cause of an intolerance to copper is Wilson's disease which is an inherited illness.
Those individuals who suffer from Wilson's disease are not able to secrete copper from their body so the metal stays within the liver. If left untreated this will cause deadly liver and brain damage to develop.
Other copper allergies are very rare but when they do happen it is for basically the same reasons as other food allergies occur. What cause allergies to copper to occur is basically either too much or too little copper in the body.
Generally allergies to copper occur when too much copper is ingested, or when the body has problems excreting this metal, and this causes metal poisoning to occur.
Copper bracelets are used to decrease arthritic symptoms.
Does it work? Opinions are still varied on this one and there is yet no scientific proof. Copper is a metal that has been utilized for good health for hundreds of years yet still remains as such by many faithful followers.
Allergies to food, and the elements within food products, are quite common.
An allergy is your body's way of telling you that it cannot tolerate something.
If you are suffering from the symptoms of an allergy then you should be seriously looking into removing the offending substance or food product from your lifestyle.
Sources of copper are multivitamins, water from copper pipes, cooking with copper cookware, drugs which may cause the liver to store copper, and foods such as cashew and brazil nuts, poppy seeds, sunflower seeds, organ meats, liver, oysters, chick peas, wheat, corn, soybeans, and chocolate.
Related articles on allergies and the foods we hate to love.
- Pepper And Allergies To It
Allergies to black pepper do occur and if you are one of the individuals who suffers from a black pepper allergy than this article is for you. Pepper is one of our most common spices...
- What Are Nightshade Plants?
The words Nightshade Plant bring up images of mysterious workings within the gloom of night, the creation of magic spells or poisonous concoctions, images of witches and of medicine men silently...