- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Dietary Management of Thyroid Disorders: Natural Treatment for Goiter
Goiter refers to the enlargement of the thyroid gland due to thyroid disorder. Though as per estimates 90% of goiters are due to iodine deficiency, hyperthyroidism and other inflammatory conditions of the thyroid gland are also responsible for formation of goiter. Goiter is associated with a wide range of symptoms and complications but can be managed effectively with dietary restraints and natural home based remedies
Thyroid Disorder: What is Goiter
The thyroid is an endocrinal gland, situated in the neck. Hormones manufactured and secreted by the thyroid play a critical part in controlling the metabolism of the body. The commonest disorder of the thyroid is goiter, which is characteristically seen as enlargement of the gland.
Goiter is a thyroid gland anomaly and covers a range of thyroid diseases. It is a lot more common in women, than in men, and usually occurs during times of stress, such as, puberty, child birth, menopause and emotional strain.
Goiter Causes: Symptoms of Goiter
One group of clinical symptoms and manifestations is: obesity and weight gain, irregular menstrual cycle, amenorrhea, coldness of the hands and feet, loss of hair, fatigue and a depressive state. This is classically seen in hypothyroidism.
Another group of manifestations is: disturbing weight loss, tremors, fatigue, palpitation, menstrual irregularities, sleeplessness and insomina, mood swings and irritability. These are seen in hyperthyroidism.
The primary causes associated with goiter include,
- The principal cause of goiter is an insufficiency of iodine in the diet.
- Heredity and genetic predisposition which may result in congenital hypothyroidism
- Thyroiditis or inflammation of the thyroid gland
- Thyroid Cysts
- Benign or malignant tumors of the thyroid gland
Dietary Management of Goiter: Natural Home based Remedies to Treat Goiter
The successful treatment of goiter calls for a multi disciplinary approach. Along with thyroid medications, exercise and diet play a pivotal role in the handling of the disease symptoms.
- Some foods are particularly harmful for the thyroid gland, and must be steadily avoided, these are: refined flour, white sugar, processed foods, refined food packets and stimulants. A low carbohydrate meal plan is considered beneficial.
- Eliminate flesh foods and milk from your diet.
- Foods that support and enhance normal thyroid function ought to be included in the diet. Food rich in iodine: celery, tomatoes, strawberries, carrots, onions, garlic, and asparagus help reinstate thyroid functioning.
Follow these dietary guidelines for at least a 1 year. The successful management of thyroid disorders will take time, so you must have patience. Cure won’t be immediate and quick, and there could even be reappearance of the symptoms.
Experts also allege that Yoga postures / asanas produce fantastic and continuing results. Yoga maintains an optimal body weight, combats stress and enhances the body’s intrinsic mechanisms.
Homoeopathy drugs are also extremely effectual in the management of goiter. Homeopathy works in a gentle manner and peps up the normal functioning of the gland. Homeopathy has a favorable impact on the metabolism and ameliorates most of the manifestations of thyroid disturbances.