Lowfat Stuffed Grape Leaves (Dolmas)
These are amazing and so healthy! If you don't eat meat, substitute veggie crumbles and they are still very tasty! Make sure to rinse the grape leaves because they are soaked in brine and we don't need all that salt :)
You can also chop up some spinach or kale and add it to the mixture....add it while cooking the turkey. I just made these last week with spinach and veggie crumbles. VERY GOOD!!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- 4 TBS (divided) extra virgin olive oil, cold pressed
- 1 cup lentils
- 3/4 cup feta
- 1-2 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 1 jar grape leaves
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
- Carefully remove grape leaves from jar. Unroll them and rinse them. Pat them dry and lay them between two absorbent towels.
- In a medium saucepan, place the lentils and 2 cups of water or low sodium chicken or veggie broth. Bring to boil, turn heat to med-low and cover for about 30-40 minutes.
- While lentils are cooking, get started on your turkey meat. In a large skillet, saute the onion in 2 tbsp olive oil until translucent. Add the garlic, then the herbs (fresh or dried). Add ground turkey, making sure you break it up as it cooks. Cook turkey, mixing in herbs and salt and pepper over medium heat. While cooking, add balsamic vinegar and remaining 2 TBS olive oil to mixture. Once turkey is cooked, remove it from skillet and run it thru a food processor or blender to further break it up.
- Drain lentils, and mix in with turkey mixture. Add crumbled feta cheese. It’s better if this mixture is a little “pasty” since if it’s really dry and crumbly it will fall out of the grape leaf. Add more balsamic vinegar and olive oil if its to dry.
- Place about a tablespoon of turkey/lentil mixture on top center of grape leaf. Fold top over, then sides and roll downward. You should have something that roughly resembles and eggroll. Don’t worry if it takes a few tries or if its not perfect. You can skewer them with a toothpick if they don’t want to stay closed.
- Once you have the grape leaves rolled, place them back in the used skillet. Don’t worry, you can stack them. Add about 1 or 2 tbsps of water to bottom of pan and cover. Steam dolmas for about 4 minutes.