- Kids Health
Aromatherapy Oils are Safe for Children
Aromatherapy and essential oils are safe for children and can be used for a host of childhood illnesses. There are certain safety considerations that need to be followed though. This article is about essential oils that can be used safely for babies and infants and the benefits associated with their use.
Aromatherapy and Child Health
Aromatherapy is a safe, gentle and effective therapy for a host of childhood illnesses and diseases.
Essential oils provide excellent healing properties and help recover and maintain health and general well being. Aromatherapy works in a holistic frame work and helps boost kid’s health considerably.
Children are susceptible to several disorders and ailments, and need gentler and different treatment plans from adults. Essential oils for babies are a great deal more diluted and help treat various common illnesses successfully.
You Can Tackle A Host of Illnesses in Children Naturally using Aroma Oils
Essential Oils for Common Childhood Illnesses
Aromatherapy has comforting, nurturing and health enhancing effects which promote physical and mental health in the child. Here are some of the apparent benefits of essential oils for babies and children:
- Aromatherapy supports a sense of joy, security and well being in children. An essential oil massage is a delightful way for the child and the parent to connect with one another and create a sense of bonding.
- Aromatherapy can alleviate fear, impatience, agitation, anxiety and stress, and crankiness among children as it has a soothing effect on the nerves.
- In addition, essential oils help manage cold, cough, fever, sore throat, diarrhea, abdominal discomfort, skin ailments, urinary trouble and sleeplessness in children.
Which Essential Oils are Recommended for Infants and Children?
Certain essential oils are considered to have profound benefits in children and are exceedingly important in the management of a host of illnesses and problems among children:
- Lavender essential oil blended with Myrtle essential oil is a safe and effective blend for children, and has a sedative and calming effect. It helps manage temper tantrums and when added to the babies’ bath encourages restful and sound sleep. ·
- Add 3 drops of the Lavender essential oil with a couple of drops of Benzoin essential oil for inhalation for children. These essential oil help treat cold, cough and sore throat instantly.
- Chamomile has been dubbed ‘children’s essential oil’. Chamomile has a soothing and calming effect and is recommended in cases of crankiness, sleeplessness, irritability, crabbiness, tummy upsets and teething problems.
Safety Guidelines when Using Essential Oils
Whilst using aromatherapy, kids are segregated in to infants (1 -5 years) and children (6 - 14 years). Above 14 years, the child is usually treated as one would treat an adult.
These guidelines allow you to safely and effectively use aromatherapy for children:
- For 1 – 5 year olds, use 1 drop of the essential oil in 10 ml of a carrier oil (almond oil, olive oil, wheat germ oil or sesame seed oil).
- For 6 - 14 year olds, you can use 1 drop of the essential in 5 ml of carrier oil.
- Essential oils that are suitable for children are: Lavender, Chamomile, Rose, Myrtle, Neroli, and Benzoin.
- Aroma oils may be used as massage oils or may be added to the baby’s bath. Always blend the essential oil in a carrier oil, even for bath.