Seven Tips for Staying Fit and Healthy
Welcome to Tips for Staying Fit and Healthy
Let's face it, every one of us would probably like to improve something about our bodies. Whether it's the size, shape, proportions, or health and fitness level, we all have things that are important to us and things we would like to work on! Keeping ourselves in shape is so beneficial for our lives. It is important for the health of the heart and organs that keep us functioning every day! I will share some simple and (some may seem small) but important tips that everyone can incorporate into a day! Things that will not only help your fitness but also will help change the way you feel about your body. I believe attitude is one of the key factors in staying motivated and realizing the importance of taking care of the body you've been given. So let's get started!
To reach ones goals a person must be disciplined! Give yourself positive affirmations to say! 'I'm worth it!' I need to be healthy to take care of my family' 'I'm determined'
Setting Some Goals
Water for Hydration...
1)Keeping your body hydrated is very important. Drinking water every couple of hours is beneficial in keeping your body systems running smoothly. Of course, one would drink more if engaged in a concentrated workout! I don't think the average person drinks enough water, this is something we could all improve on. If you have a hard time drinking plain filtered water try this fat-burning green tea beverage.
Take 3 green tea bags and steep them in boiling water. Once steeped pour into a juice pitcher to which you add a teaspoon of honey. Stir together and add some fresh lemon slices. Add some ice cubes to this and refrigerate. Drink this every few hours or as thirst acquires.
Studies have shown that there are great fat-burning compounds in green tea. So this can also help to keep one slim.
The Most Important Meal of the Day
2) Don't skip breakfast! Many people think that if they don't eat breakfast that they will lose weight! This is not true! Studies have actually shown that those who skip this meal actually gain weight! People think that by eating less calories first thing that they will lose weight! The reason that breakfast is so important is that it gives us the much needed fuel and energy to get moving. Without breakfast one can have increased levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol and lower levels of insulin. Bad cholesterol can clog up arteries which can lead to heart disease and other ailments! Also people tend to consume a higher number of calories throughout the day when missing this meal!
A breakfast of fruit, yoghurt and granola is great! Add a cup of coffee if you need it! (I do, or at least I love it)
A Whey protein shake with yoghurt and berries is another great option.
Or one of my favourites is 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder, a few walnuts, raisins and a little cream and you have a fabulous breakfast that will keep you feeling full for several hours. (Protein helps to fill you up and keeps you feeling full much longer.)
A Healthy Brain requires....
3) It was found in a study done at the University of Western Ontario in London that taking a fish oil supplement every day can help your body burn up to 400 extra calories. This is one good reason for you to add this to your diet! A great fish oil supplement is Omega 3! Research shows that fish oils can also help prevent hardening of the arteries which we all know leads to heart disease.
Disclaimer- Always check with your physician or health care provider when adding new supplements or changing your dietary regimine! The information in this lens is for informational purposes only!
And one and two and three....
4) Exercise should be a part of every day! So important to keeping our hearts strong and healthy! There are many ways to incorporate exercise into your daily routine and you might be surprised at how many calories one can burn. If it's not a gym day for me, I still like to go for a brisk walk at some point in the day! Otherwise I work out at the gym for 50 minutes 3-4 days a week!
Here are just a few examples:
Biking - leisurely pace for one hr. 230 - 340 calories burned
Walking - Moderate pace one hr. 205 - 300 " "
Mowing the lawn per hr. 300 - 450 " "
Jogging - Moderate pace one hr. 300 - 600 " "
Types of Cardio Exercise
- a slow and steady workout will burn fat and not carbohydrates
- should be 45 to 60 mins. in duration
- easy on the body
- use up loads of calories and increase metabolism
- should be 20 to 30 mins. of high intensity
- interval training (running, then sprinting, then running)
- intense weightlifting could also count here
Exercise Boosters - Easy to Use Exercise Helpers
Having exercise equipment at home makes a huge difference. Especially hand weights as they can be used in a lot of different exercise moves.
Regular Exercise - Please Vote, We Want to Know...
Do you exercise at least 3 days a week?
Meals and Snacks
5) In order to stay fit and slim one needs to plan meals and snacks at least with a little thought! The meals that you eat should be balanced and provide your body with good nutrition. Remember portion size is key here! Snacks too, should be healthy and not just something you mindlessly eat your way through while watching your favourite movie! ( Of course, the occasional chocolate, or higher fat food is okay, as long as it is only once in a while)
Some good snack choices:
small yoghurt and slice of fruit (melon or handful of blueberries)
small muffin (homemade) store bought ones have way to many calories
Cut up veggies, dipped in hummus
Whole wheat pita bread
6) Okay it's the middle of the day, you just finished folding two loads of laundry and you are feeling a little exhausted. First have a glass of water, now grab that skipping rope and jump for a few minutes. You can do this in the garage (if you have room) in the backyard, or wherever you have the space. Skipping for just 10 minutes can burn off an easy 100 calories and you'll have your energy renewed!
Grab a couple of dumbbells and put your favourite song on and do a few exercises. Bi-cep curls, tricep curls, deep knee squats. This burns calories and rejuvenates you too! I often find myself doing this around 4:00 pm or 4:30 when I'm feeling a little tired but have to get moving to prepare dinner! It really helps!
Another fun idea is to take an instrument break. Maybe you play the piano, trumpet or guitar. Guess what, this burns calories too and it's fun and gets your brain in gear too!
7) Often times we don't listen to our bodies when they are tired and perhaps sleep deprived. The average person needs 7 - 8 hours of sleep a night! Some need a little more and some can get by on a little less. A key step to maintaning a healthy weight is also getting enough sleep. Studies show that those hours when we are sleeping is the time that our bodies are healing and repairing themselves. I'm sure when you don't get enough sleep and if it happens several nights in a row, you feel sluggish and your energy supply is much lower. So be kind to yourself and get the needed hours of sleep to help your body function the way it should! You will feel much better for it!