How to Deal with Abdominal Distension and Bloating
Abdominal distension and bloating results in a feeling of fullness and tightness in the abdomen, and triggers immense tummy discomfort. Having heavy meals, staying hungry for long periods of time, and eating lots of gas-producing foods are important causes.
Abdominal Bloating and Distension can be Quite Agonizing and Distressing
What Causes Gaseous Distension?
There are several factors responsible for abdominal distention and bloating:
- Incorrect eating habits, an erratic lifestyle, gastric reflux disorders and an excessive use of antacids - result in gaseous distension and flatulence.
- Sedentary lifestyle with no exercise is a significant contributing cause.
- A long interval between two meals, eating very heavy and greasy meals, having late lunches and dinners trigger gaseous distension and discomfort.
- Eating too much of fermented foods and legumes.
- Smoking or consumption of tobacco products is also associated with gaseous distension
- Hormonal changes
- Poor sleep
The Most Potent Home Remedies for Abdominal Bloating
Home Remedies to Manage a Gassy Stomach
- Ginger: ginger is the most effective anti-flatulent remedy and it helps manage practically all GI disturbances. Grate about 1 inch of the root and boil well in some water. Add honey and have once daily, usually after a meal. You can also extract the juice of ginger and add honey and have it. Those who are prone to stomach upsets, have a hectic and an inconsistent lifestyle and do not exercise regularly; must have a glass of ginger tea every day after meals. Ginger is packed with gingerols which are powerful anti-inflammatory agents. Ginger aids in digestion, breaks up gas and helps in its expulsion. It ensures that the GI tract is functioning optimally.
- Mint: Mint is another very effective home remedy for gaseous distension of the belly. Mint is a carminative and an anti-inflammatory herb. It soothes the gut lining, allays discomfort and pain and helps get rid of gas. Have a glass of mint tea once or twice daily.
- Fennel seeds: Fennel is another quick-fix. Chew on a spoonful of fennel seeds when you sufer from abdominal bloating and pain; fennels seed are the best carminative, i.e., the seeds can effectively and speedily drive out gas and lessen stomach discomfort. In fact, make sure you have a spoonful of the seeds after every meal.
Guidelines to Prevent the Occurrence of Abdominal Bloating
- Always begin your day with an herbal tea. Mint, ginger and lemongrass are recommended; since they soothe your gastro-intestinal system and keep it functioning as it should. You may also add basil, or sage. Herbal tea promotes an optimal working of the stomach, regularizes the bowel movement and expels gas easily.
- Chew your food with the mouth shut. When the mouth is open while eating, one tends to swallow large quantities of air, thereby, worsening the condition.
- Keep your body well hydrated. You must drink 12 glasses of water everyday. In addition, have plenty of other liquids in the form of juices, soups, herbal teas, and watery foods such as watermelon, limes, lemons, and oranges.
- In case you suffer from gastric derangements frequently, you need to limit your consumption of - legumes, beans, pulses, cabbage, kale, cauliflower, and fermented foods. These foods are slightly difficult to digest and produce a lot of gas.
Steer Clear of Caffeinated Beverages
Life style Modifications to Treat A Gassy Stomach
Here are some lifestyle modification tips, that can help reduce the occurance of this distressing condition -
- Avoid smoking. Smoking can lead to irritation of the gastric mucosa, resulting in increased production of gastric acid. This in turn may lead to gassy stomach. Alcohol also has a similar effect, particularly when consumed on an empty stomach.
- Limit the intake to tea, soda drinks and coffee, especially on an empty stomach. These drinks can irritate the gastric mucosa, resulting in increased production of gastric acids. As the intestinal juices attempt to neutralize these acids , bloating becomes inevitable.
- Simple excercises and Yoga can be helpful in improving gastric functions. Yoga postures like Gowmukhasana (Cow Pose) and Pawanmukhtasana (Wind Reliever) have been proven to be highly effective in the management of gassy stomach in individuals prone to development of this condition.
- Avoid erratic dietary practices. Timely consumption of meals is essential to deal with this problem.
Incorporate These in to your Daily Routine
Lots of Water