- Exercise & Fitness
What is Cellulite? Video to Get Rid of It
A good fibrous diet low in fat and sugar plus targeted exercise are the only effective ways to get rid of cellulite. But first how is cellulite formed in the body?
What IS Cellulite?
So you want to get rid of fat that causes cellulite? It appears that, when fat cells are enlarged, the connective tissue between the fascia superficialis (see above picture) pulls on the epidermis at its anchor points to create dimples, which we normally call cellulite. Confused? Look at the picture again.
Epidermis: The protective thin outer layer of the skin.
Dermis: Tissue below the epidermis which forms the true skin, containing blood capillaries, nerve endings, sweat glands, hair follicles, and other structures.
Fascia Superficialis: Thin layer of loose connective tissue underlying the dermis and binding it to the parts beneath.
Now let us see how you can help getting your fascia superficialis get back to normal.
The Bumroll Exercise Video Works on 3 Levels
The Bumroll exercise video is very easy to follow and works on three levels. ("bum" is English for "butt" in the U.S.)
- Firstly the exercise tones up muscles that control your thighs, butt, hips, and waist.
- On the second level, the Bumroll exercise video helps you say goodbye to superfluous layers of fat around your behind, hips, and upper thighs. Fat cannot by itself move and does not like to be moved, but it can be massaged away. With the thorough floor massage that the action gives you get rid of cellulite. How does that work? When fat tissue is being disturbed by movement, it humbly retreats to leave room for more useful and able muscle tissue.
- On the third level, because you have to try to keep the upper body, the arms and shoulders still on the floor, the Bumroll exercise video also re-aligns and tones the upper back and shoulders.
Caution First. How to Safely Lie Down on Your Back on the Floor?
Before anything positive can happen in your body, you must be comfortable.
If you are uncomfortable lying supine (on your back) on the floor as shown in the second image on the following illustration, it is because your spine and neck are too deeply curved.
To get comfortable in a supine lying down position, use appropriate supports (see third image) to re-adjust your position and reduce the over curvature of the spine at the same time. This will not only make you more comfortable, it will permanently improve your posture. As your posture improves, all in good time, you will be able to reduce the size of the supports until your body looks more like the top picture.
It is important to use the floor and not a bed to lie down on. If the floor is dirty or cold, use a yoga mat or a duvet (comforter in US).
Now that you have understood how being comfortable on the floor is so crucial to avoid injury you are ready to learn the Bumroll exercise.
Weak Back or Back Pain?
If you have chronic backache following the Bumroll exercise video will be of great benefit as long as you do it very slowly and only go as far as No.4 below. In other words, don't lift up the knees further than you can while keeping the feet on the floor. Then keep rolling from side to side while gradually bringing the knees down to the straight legs position. Your back pain will soon go away if you do this gently on a daily basis. Once the pain has gone, you may proceed to the full Bumroll exercise, raising your knees higher, taking the feet off the ground. Use supports as described if necessary until you have gained sufficient strength and flexibility in all the muscles involved to do away with the supports.
Lie down on the floor on your back with the arms spread out sideways at shoulder height. If your neck is uncomfortable lying on the floor, place a yoga block or a firm cushion or rolled up towel under the head.
- Now, breathe in deeply and, while keeping the feet and the knees together, bend and pull up your knees a few inches off the floor, while keeping the feet on the ground.
- On an out-breath, slowly bring the joined knees down to the side until they reach the floor.
- Bring the knees back to center, keeping your joined feet in place.
- Now while still keeping the feet and knees together, slowly lower the knees down to the floor on the other side of your body.
Congratulations! That’s your first “Bumroll” achieved (provided you got off your backside and followed the above instructions!).
First Half of Bumroll Exercise
The first half of the Bumroll exercise consists of repeating the above side-to-side rolling actions while gradually bringing the knees higher and higher on each repetition until they reach maximum height, somewhere by your chest.
At a certain point, your feet will, of course, leave the floor.
The Return Journey
With your knees pulled up towards the chest you now have to make your way back down again. Continue rolling from side to side, placing your joined knees on the floor on alternative sides. Keep on rolling while gradually bringing the knees lower and lower each time to finish in the straight-leg starting position as shown in the video.
- Keep your knees and feet touching together throughout the Bumroll exercise.
- Keep your arms spread out sideways on the floor at shoulder height.
- Keep your shoulders flat on the floor and relaxed throughout.
- The rolling twist occurs from the waist down.
- The upper part of the body remains static.
- Try to not move your body from the waist up.
Now that you understand how to do the Bumroll exercise in theory put some music on and have fun following the video.
How Often and for How Long?
If you are determined to get rid of cellulite fast, then I recommend doing the Bumroll Exercise two or three times daily for the same amount of time as shown on the video. Exercising to music makes it more fun. So the easiest way for you would be to bookmark this page and follow the video.
How to Do the Bumroll Correctly - Need Supports?
At first you may not be able to keep your arms and shoulders relaxed and flat on the floor while rolling the pelvis from side to side with the knees held together. Or you may find it difficult to put both knees down all the way to the floor when the knees are lifted up to chest height.
This is due to stiffness in the waist and weak stomach muscles. Just figure out how far down your knees can go without too much strain and place an appropriately sized support like a
- a piece of you pool tube rolled into a longways folded towel, or a
- yoga block
on either side of our body where the knees land so that you can rest our joined knees onto the support at the end of each twist.
As your performance improves, with a slimmer waist and stronger stomach muscles, you can reduce the size of the supports until you easily reach the floor with the joined knees. Practice makes perfect but don't overdo it. Remember my motto:
The Bumroll Exercise primarily tones up the following muscles:
- abs (stomach muscles)
- side-of-the-waist (obliques), and
- lower back
- upper back
The upper-.back and shoulder areas are being re-aligned and toned from aiming to keep the upper body flat on the floor while twisting the lower spine.
The main ‘incidental’ but crucial side benefit of the Bumroll Exercise is a thorough massaging away of all the superfluous layers of fat and cellulite resting on the
- buttocks and the
- outside of the upper thighs.
In addition, when done slowly, the Bumroll Exercise is an excellent prevention and cure for backache.
For Even Quicker Results - Massage the Cellulite Away
In addition to doing the Bumroll Exercise, you may enjoy using a for quicker results. A deep tissue massage boosts circulation and, as mentioned earlier, movement from the vibration will disturb the fat layers on hips and thighs and make them go away. Use the massager once or twice a week for under ten minutes at a time and you'll be amazed at the results. Besides helping to massage away cellulite, the deep tissue massager can be used in many other stiff areas in the body. It helps to release stiffness in the hamstrings, loosen cramped muscles in the lower and upper back to cure backache to ease away the pain. I couldn't do without it. heavy duty massager
It Won’t Work If...
You can do the Bumroll Exercise till doomsday and never get rid of your fat backside, hips and thighs covered in cellulite if you carry on
- drinking Coca Cola and any other sugary drinks
- eating junk food, especially
- too much meat and
- processed dairy & cheese
Why Less Meat? Two reasons:
1. Meat in supermarkets comes from intensive stock farming methods (those that do not use any land to rear animals). Such meat is not fit for human consumption. Those animals are fed inappropriate G.M. corn when they were born to eat grass. They have hardly walked a step in their lives, except for walking from their metal enclosures, so narrow, they cannot even turn around in them, into an overcrowded truck towards the abattoir. So you tell me, where is the quality of their muscle tissue?
2. To make up for the lack of decent food and exercise, the animals are injected with antibiotics, hormones, and steroids to make their meat bigger, for bigger profits. That bigness, when consumed by humans, makes us humans bigger and fatter too, without ever getting proper nutrition. Hence the food addiction and the obesity pandemic.
What Is Your Meat Foot Print?
How often do you eat meat?
Stay clear of sweetened drinks, processed foods, and reduce intake of animal products to a bare minimum. I suggest not eating meat more than once or twice a week if you really must. Even then, try to go for organic meat.
Provided you carefully follow the instruction for the Bumroll Exercise, you will get rid of fat and cellulite for good. By adopting a much healthier lifestyle, you will surely keep the weight and the cellulite off forever.
Try the Bumroll Exercise now!
You may join the discussion in the comments section below to share your thoughts or ask questions which I shall answer to the best of my knowledge.
More useful floor exercises on my YouTube Channel.