- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
No one wants to undergo surgery in their life but there are some things out of our control. Whether its a minor or a major operation it has impact on a person's physical and mental strength.
The major concern after surgery is its recovery. If you manage to recover well, your life is back on track. Otherwise, well there is always the rebound of the disease which led to the operation in the first place.
Lets discuss some of the major things to keep in mind after surgery:-
The recovery procedure depends on the kind of surgery you have gone through. I am discussing some of the points which is common to most of the operations.
1) Listen to the doctor: Well, some of us have a major problem of forgetting what our doctors told us and start taking our life on our own hands. That's where we go wrong. Follow the doctors advise for a minimum of six months or until the doctor tells you. Follow his instructions on the diet, medicine, precautions to be taken. Give your life to the doctors hands just like you did in the surgery for a speedy recovery.
2) Make Changes to your house: Depending on the kind of surgery you have gone through, make some changes to your house. Like if you have been advised not to climb stairs move in to the ground floor, keep equipment as per your doctors instructions so as to make the process of recovery easy.
3) Stay safe: You need to be safe and try not to fall/hurt yourself after the surgery. Get rod of any clutter in your house, the night lights of the house should be working properly, wear flat shoes or slippers and do not go outside alone until you have fully recovered.
4) Maintain a strict diet plan: Stick to the diet plan as prescribed by your nutritionist. It may sound a bit difficult but its not more than your life. Stock up your pantry as per the food you are allowed to eat. Do not over eat or starve yourself. Take just the right amount of calories without thinking about filling your stomach. As per the kind of operation you had take the proper diet for a speedy recovery.
5) Support from family members: The family members play a vital role in the recovery after surgery. They provide the physical as well as mental support to the patient. The environment of the house should be friendly and cheerful so as to increase the chances of a speedy recovery. The family members should take care of the patient's basic needs after the surgery.
6) Proper physical activity and rest: Follow your doctors advise completely. It can be quite boring lying on bed all day but its for your own good. You can read all the books which you wanted to but never got the time, try writing or watching your favorite tv show. Relax and give yourself the much needed break from work and stress.
Last but not the least be patient. I know it can be frustrating sometimes but try diverting your mind towards something good. Follow the doctors advise and be careful until you have fully recovered, Get in touch with your loved ones and get the much needed love and care for that speedy recovery.
KEEP CALM AND TRUST YOUR SURGEON
© 2017 Devika Tagra