How To Attain Inner Balance With Yoga and Meditation
What is Inner Balance?
The concept of inner balance in yoga is one of the most powerful benefits that can be derived from this practice, such that you can fully enjoy its benefits. Without establishing an internal experience within your spiritual body, your practice of yoga remains superficial. All you are focusing on is the physical and external body, which may improve your health and overall body function but does nothing to enrich your spiritual body. Therefore, working towards self-awareness is a vital step that you need to make if you want a truly satisfying yoga experience.
Importance of Self Knowledge
Your ability to acquire self knowledge is an important prerequisite to restoring inner balance with yoga. You cannot expect to awaken inner consciousness and boost your spiritual body without a full knowledge of yourself.
Hence, it is an important first step in the practice of yoga to remove any sources of doubt, regret, or self-sabotage that would intervene with your efforts of attaining a deep, spiritual experience.
Yoga Asanas for Inner Balance
Yoga asanas or exercises make up the physical aspect of yoga. But aside from the benefits of enriching your body and improving health, there is a more important reason behind the performance of these yoga poses. The increased level of awareness for your body helps to realize the space between your physical and spiritual body. Without this space, you will never have the capacity to identify this separation between the two. Once you have opened up that space, you also provide means such that your inner voice could be heard and you can open up new dimensions for your internal consciousness.
Engaging in Yoga Retreats
Yoga retreat is one of the breakthrough methods that is innovated for modern yogis. It is a process of taking your dedication for practicing yoga to a whole new level. Most yoga retreat programs are held for several days to a week, wherein you travel to a place far away from the city and somewhere close to nature. Think of this as an ideal meditative place where you can practice yoga without any distraction.
Experts suggest that anyone who would like to be acquainted with the yoga practice or those who want to advance their knowledge about yoga techniques must join such retreats. The program is broken down into different activities for leisure and practice of yoga, with the latter consuming a major bulk of your activities.
Importance of Meditation
Yoga is never complete without meditation. Hence, it simply shows the huge role that meditation plays in enriching the spiritual aspect of your experience. This is one method that you can use so you can use your body as a gateway towards your internal consciousness or the spiritual side of your body. But first, you have to enter the point of deep contemplative state so you can gain proper mind control. Without this ability for mind control, there is no way for you to dig down deep inside and have that ability to restore inner balance that was previously awakened by the execution of yoga asanas.
Zen Meditation is highly recommended for anyone who want to fulfill an enriching spiritual practice. The best thing about this is that it is not concerned about religion or ideology, but enables you to focus on the internal spirituality so you can restore the inner balance of your body.
Here's how to go into deep Zen Meditation:
- Once you have established yourself in a comfortable sitting position, close your eyes. Fold your hands in your lap and try to relax your entire body. Let everything else assume their natural position.
- Start with deep and refreshing breaths, preferably ones that begin from your abdomen. Make sure to slow down your process of breathing as it consequently slows down your thoughts as well.
- Observe the process of your breathing by taking note of the sensation of air coming in and out of your lungs.
- If any thoughts attempt to enter your mind, do not fight it off. Just observe these thoughts as they simply come and go.
- If you hear any source of sound or music, focus on that but become a passive listener.
As the evidence of studies continue to increase showing the benefits of meditation to one's health, newer methods of meditation are also emerging to provide yogis of all levels a technique that they can adapt to find that inner balance. One of these is awareness meditation. This is a fairly simple technique that even beginners will easily adapt.
Here are the steps to performing awareness meditation:
- Find the most comfortable posture for meditation. Preferably, you might want to find a secure but comfortable sitting position since most meditation can last over a given period of time.
- Begin to notice your breath. Pay close attention to the pace, sound, and the effects of each breathing pattern on your body.
- Re-focus your attention on your thoughts while still noticing your breath. Take on the observer role and try to linger on this thought for a while.
- Acknowledge the presence of other thoughts that might intervene with your thought processes. This is a good way to utilize any form of disturbance that might arise while meditating.
- Let your awareness roam freely. But make sure to provide focus on it such that you remain in control of that awareness instead of being carried with it.
Advanced Meditation Techniques
Advanced meditation techniques are recommended for advanced yoga practitioners who have learned how to master the techniques of meditation. As with other meditation techniques, you must always start by finding the most suitable place to practice and then closing your eyes so you can begin with the breathing exercises.
For this one, you need to establish a mantra that you are going to use for your meditation exercise. Focus on that for at least 15 minutes before you find your spot or the focus of inner awareness. Once you have identified that source of inner awareness, listen to the sounds that originate from inside instead of finding an external source. Do this while repeating the mantra that you have chosen. In reverse, you must do this practice in an effort to locate the spot of outer awareness.
The process of meeting between your inner and outer awareness is the point wherein you get to realize the true impact of practicing this form of meditation.