How to Cope with Decreased Appetite in Pregnancy
Almost two third of all pregnant women go through decreased appetite during pregnancy. There is nothing very serious to worry about it but it is really a matter of concern if your caloric and other nutritional requirements do not meet due to appetite loss. This appetite loss is very common in first trimester, in the next two trimesters mostly appetite increases to greater extent. This loss of appetite can not be linked to a single factor, multiple of factors cause appetite loss. If pregnant woman is suffering from nausea and vomiting too, along with appetite loss then maintaining nutritional balance becomes more difficult.
Appetite loss usually cures by itself after first trimester but to fulfill nutritional requirements for the proper growth of fetus diet should be planned in proper manner. If problem get worse its better to consult your physician as well as a nutritionist.
Other Useful Hubs by the Author
If you face problems of loss of appetite during pregnancy do not get worried. This is something that you can handle by yourself if the problem is not severe. If problem gets severe and you feel least empty on stomach consult your doctor or physician because this should be treated seriously.
Following suggestions might work well:
- Eat Small but Frequent Meals The easiest way to sustain your energy level as well as nutritional balance and to fight with appetite loss is to eat small meals. A pregnant woman can have as many as 7 small meals a day. Small meals will be easily digested and will not cause nausea or vomiting. Small meals easily pass from esophagus to stomach and to the intestine and do not cause heaviness.
- Drink Plenty of Water Water loss or dehydration can cause several problems in pregnancy. Secondly, if water is drank on proper time it can increase appetite. Water intake should be increased during pregnancy. Dehydration can cause kidney problems. Urinary infection is common in pregnancy and if does not cured and fluid intake is not increased it stays throughout pregnancy and can cause severe problems in child birth.
- Eat Light Food Some food items do not cause nausea or indigestion problems. Fruits, vegetables, boiled rice and grains are light on stomach and do not have strong odors, comparatively meat products and dairy are hard to digest and have strong odor which can cause nausea. Specially in morning take light food that can overcome your morning sickness.
- Eat Food that does not Cause Nausea Now every woman has sensitivity to certain food items. Not everyone has similar intolerance to different foods but still food that has strong smell should be avoided to control nausea. Some woman feel morning sickness and can not eat most of food stuff in morning but they do not feel the same during rest of the day. Better is that they should eat plenty of food and take plenty of nutrition during day time and should avoid eating heavy food in morning.
- Check Timings of your Nutritional Supplements Sometime nutritional supplements too cause indigestion or gastrointestinal problems. Iron is often associated with diarrhea and constipation, such problems can cause loss of appetite.
- Avoid Fast Food Junk food contains high sodium-content which can also cause loss of appetite. Junk food fills the stomach but as it contains no calories it causes nutritional deficiencies. Women who have cravings for junk food are often low in many essential nutrients.
- Take Nutritional Supplements Nutritional supplements remains the only sign of hope if appetite loss gets severe. Some women feel full on stomach all the time so this can not be cured by medicines, since you can not take pills to increase appetite every time. Nutritional supplements usually fulfill your RDA for most of the vitamins, minerals and to some extent some micro-nutrients like antioxidants can also be obtained from nutritional supplements.
- Avoid Taking Tobacco If you take tobacco or smoke you are also at risk of getting malnourished and having less appetite for healthy food.It is a well known fact and people who smoke heavily do not have appetite for healthy stuff in their normal routine. In pregnancy when your gastrointestinal tract is much more sensitive to smells, taste and like you should not take risk of smoking which reduces appetite.
- Brisk Walk A brisk walk ensures good health in pregnancy. Avoiding activity and laziness can also be the reason for loss of appetite. Light walk will ease food to pass down the GIT tract and will help revive your appetite.
- Consult your Doctor In case of severe loss of appetite consult your physician for assistance in this regard. Severe loss of appetite can cause severe malnutrition.