How To Overcome Anxiety Without Medication
Get Rid Of Anxiety Without Medicine Or Pills!
I used to suffer from anxiety and panic attacks for a few years, and while everyone kept urging me to go to the doctor, I never did. Eventually it went away - not entirely alone, I did try to 'treat myself' so to speak with natural ways, which luckily helped.
Treating anxiety without medication works, I'm a living proof of it, however this is just my personal insight and journey of discovery - I'm by no means a doctor or a patient. I just hope the tips that helped me will help you as well. If the situation warrants, do consult a medical practitioner.
During the time I was fighting my battle with anxiety panic attacks, I tried many pills. I've been given a lot of medication. From Xanax, Klonipin to Atavin, I've tried them all. If one wouldn't work, then back to the doctor I went, and he prescribed me something else. Or one seemed to work, until after a few weeks, when it lost its effect on me. Then back to the doctor I went, and he prescribed me something else. Or until I ran out of the pills. Then the story was: down to the pharmacy I went, to buy more, more, more pills.
Until I realised this: medication is NOT the way out of the anxiety trap. It is simply another trap. And I still had the dreaded anxiety panic attacks on my back! I've finally managed to overcome anxiety, and I will show you below how..
The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques
Various Things I've Tried
Once I recognized that treating anxiety with medication was not the answer, I started lateral thinking. I said to myself, there must be a way to overcome anxiety without taking pills after pills. I do believe in a holistic approach, rather than a symptom cure.
I tried several things, herbal teas, aromatherapy, eating healthier, and I've even picked up Reiki and meditation, both which helped me a great deal. In fact drinking a nice cup of chamomile tea after a session of guided meditation calms me down even today like nothing much else.
image credits: public domain
"Anxiety is love's greatest killer. It makes others feel as you might when a drowning man holds on to you. You want to save him, but you know he will strangle you with his panic."
~ Anais Nin
Using Simple Herbs Helped A Great Deal
- Like I mentioned before, chamomile was something that I really enjoyed drinking as a tea. Once I got used to its weird taste, that is. But now, one year after I've overcome anxiety without medication, I still enjoy drinking the occasional cup of chamomile tea. It's very soothing, and very good for the stomach too. I call it the natural aspirin!
- Numerous studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of kava in reducing anxiety, with effects observed after as few as one to two doses. However, there is some concern that kava may be harmful to the liver. So, after reading up on it, I didn't really try it, to be honest. If you've tried kava and had luck with it, please leave me a note in the comments section.
- They say that that passion flower, valerian and theanine also may reduce anxiety and are generally considered to be safe herbs, with few reported adverse side effects, so the should be pretty safe. I've tried valerian extract, but best to use it is this way: If you are using the herb, use one teaspoon of powdered valerian root in one pint of boiling water for ten minutes in a covered pot. Strain and add honey to taste. Drink one cup per day before bed.
- Ginseng. We've all heard of ginseng. It's an energy booster, and it lifts the spirit. When you are in one of your anxiety moods, a bit of spirit lifting is always a good thing :)
- If you have headaches due to anxiety (I used to have them, they were one of my major symptoms), then try meadowsweet. Either drink the tea or use the extract.
- St. John's Worth is a pretty popular herb used for controlling stress and depression.
"Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strength."
Herbal Mixes I Recommend In Overcoming Anxiety Naturally
- A nice soothing tea: Blend lavender, oats, linden flower, catnip, and lemon balm (equal quantities). Use four teaspoons of this mixture per quart of boiling water. Pour the water over the herbs and steep for about ten minutes. Strain and drink while the tea is still warm. Drink a cup after each meal, up to six cups a day if necessary.
- A strong nerve tonic that I've read somewhere and used a lot. It relaxes your mind and encourages mental harmony.
4 parts rosemary leaves
2 parts sage
1 part goldenseal powdered root
3 parts skullcap powdered herb
2 parts valerian powdered root
- Also if you like soaking in the bath, use either herbs or essential oils of lavender, thyme, lemon balm and chamomile. Put a few drops of each of these oils, and let the water run as hot as you can safely enjoy. These baths used to be some of the highlights of my periods plagued by anxiety panic attacks.
"At some stages of your life you will deal with things and at others you are overwhelmed with misery and anxiety."
~ Nigella Lawson
The Next Step - Using Meditation And Reiki
The next step for me was to learn to meditate and I've also picked up Reiki for the purpose of self-healing. Level 1 was more than enough, however right now I'm at level 2, which also enables me to heal others from distance (distance healing).
For meditation I mostly use guided meditation CDs, and when I do Reiki healing on myself, I listen to gentle Reiki music in the background that doesn't disturb the session.
Some Of The CDs I Have At Home On Meditation And Reiki Healing
Here are some of the books that I bought that helped me with my anxiety and panic attack symptoms. Even just knowing what I was going through with the use of the books made me feel much better. Knowing that all I had was anxiety, and not something serious in terms of fatal disease or anything, was a great step in restoring my confidence that I could do it and get healthy once again - on my own.
Anxiety Panic Attack Symptoms
If you think you have never had anxiety panic attack symptoms, you're in for a big surprise. They are felt by 90% of the people at one point in their life or...
Panic Attack While Driving
Do you get at times lightheaded, with sweaty palms, dizzy and with your heart pumping adrenaline like an overdosed drug addict, all while driving? Most likel...
Treating Anxiety Naturally
Are you wondering whether treating anxiety naturally is possible? Anxiety panic attacks are becoming the modern disease of our society. As we get a greater u...
Anxiety Panic Attack Treatment - Quick Fix Or Full Treatment?
If you're looking for the best anxiety panic attack treatment, the one I can recommend includes no drugs, no pills and nothing all too expensive that you hav...
Thank you for visiting my How to overcome anxiety without medication lens. Please leave your comments below.