- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
How to overcome laziness
What is "Laziness"?
I don't believe in "laziness". I believe that what we label "laziness" is lack of motivation and lack of passion. If you think that you are lazy, imagine for a moment that you could have, be and do anything you like. Imagine for a moment that time and money are no object. Would you still be "lazy" if that were true? If the answer is yes, then you still haven't found your passion ;)
If the answer is no, then you're not lazy! You lack motivation and direction, and you're probably trying to force yourself to do things you don't want to do, and that are not in line with what you really want.
So, here's the solution to "laziness":
Step One: Make a list of things that you really want to have/ be/ do. Ignore the "hows" and "buts" for the moment. You may find yourself writing "never have to work" - and that's okay, but keep going. If you never had to work, what would you choose to do. What would you find fun and exciting? Leave plenty of space between the items. Make sure you have at least 20 things on your list.
Step Two: Go through your list, and make a note of two or three things you'd need to do/ be/ have in order to get started towards each item.
Step Three: Pick three or four of the items on your list that excite you most, and that you think you can do at least one or two steps towards.
Step Four: Choose to do just ONE thing towards one of your passions right now. This can be making a phone call, or it can be as simple as looking up information on it online.
Step Five: Decide to TAKE IT EASY on yourself! And decide to do ONE thing each day towards something that excites you.
Laziness and Excitement don't go together. You're not lazy, you're just not excited about something. Pick something that makes your heart beat a little faster, and then plan small steps towards it. They can be as simple as reading up on your passion. By focusing on your passion, you'll find you feel more motivated, and ideas will come to you that you would never have thought of before! xxx
Do's & Don'ts for Combatting "Laziness"
* call yourself "lazy"
* beat yourself up about not doing what you feel you "should"
* try to force yourself to do anything that doesn't feel good, and that doesn't absolutely HAVE to be done
* be hard on yourself. A BIG cause of "laziness" is low self esteem, low self image and low self confidence! The more tough you are on yourself, the "lazier" you will get. Inspiration, passion and fun are the solutions to "laziness", not forcing yourself to do things!
* take it easy on yourself
* take some time out to do stuff that makes you feeeeeel good
* focus on what excites you, and find little steps towards those goals - even if it's just reading up on them
* be good to yourself
* make sure you get PLENTY of SLEEP!! Sleep deprivation can APPEAR to be "laziness". If you're forcing yourself to get out of bed in the mornings, you're in sleep debt, and neither your body, nor your mind are able to function effectively
* eat healthily. Insufficient nutrition means your mind and body are "running on empty" - and that can make you feel listless, lethargic and "lazy".
* find a form of exercise you find fun. Dance, martial arts, walking the dogs, swimming, trampolene, water fights, pillow fights, ..... whatever you find FUN
* LAUGH. If you're watching T.V. - watch comedy. Watch, read, listen to things that make you laugh out loud. Go to funnyordie.com if you want a wide range of funny videos. "Laziness" can be a result of feeling down. Laughter not only lifts your mood, it releases "feel good" chemicals, as well as boosts the immune system.
* recognise that you are not "lazy" - you're unmotivated and you aren't focusing on your passion. This will enable you to address the Cause, not the symptom ;)
Useful Links connected to Laziness
- How to Improve Self Confidence
Self confidence affects every aspect of your life. From career to friendships, from financial success to romantic relationships. Improving your self confidence can completely turn your life around in all areas.
- Free Trial Mood Elevation Module - Increase Happiness and Joy
Designed to calm the brain's neurotransmitters by balancing opioid peptides, dopamine and serotonin levels. These chemicals control how you react to the world around you. It can balance and empower you with certainty, assurance and a sense of humor.