How To Relax And Sleep Naturally: It's Easy!
How To Relax In Minutes, and Sleep Naturally
Here is an easy step by step method to relax naturally, into a stress free, anxiety free, state of mind and body that will leave you refreshed and feeling good. It can also be used effectively for a restful sleep. It only takes a few minutes and can be used as a refresher during your work day.
Photo Courtesy Morguefile by EnzoCositore
Do you wake up in the middle of the night? Nothing is worse for your health than lack of sleep or day's and nights filled with stress! Use this technique and you will fall back to sleep and feel rested and energized in the morning. It's easy and best of all, it's natural, no drugs to become dependent on. I have used and improved on this method over the years, from having a stress filled job, and continue to use it to maintain my health and happiness. Give it a try!
Basic Preparation For Relaxation
Whether you are in need of quick relaxation, such as on a work break, or at home, or want to start on a pre-sleep program to insure a good nights rest, the basic approach is the same.
Photo Courtesy Morguefile by PennywiseYou first need to relax your body completely and clear your mind of EVERYTHING. I know that seems difficult to do, but try following these steps and soon you will find you can do it!
Make sure that when you are using this method, that you are in a room, or place where you will not be disturbed by others, or hear sounds that could disrupt your relaxed state of mind. Some sounds are helpful and an aid to relaxation, and I will go into that later. Tell anyone in the room or home that you are going to take a rest and ask not to be disturbed. If you have a pet that likes to relax with you, try to keep them off your body and quiet or put them outside your area if they can't help but disturb you.
Learn to clear your mind by using your imagination. Mentally going to peaceful places is a key ingredient in any relaxation method. Picture a favorite location in your mind that made you feel happy or create a new one! Your mind can work for you, not against you!
Do Not Disturb Yourself With Unwanted Sounds
For those times when you are not wanting to fall asleep, or are in a place where you cannot avoid sounds that would make a relaxation break impossible, use a pair of noise cancelling headphones. You can get these for complete silence, or use traditional sound carrying headphones that will aid you in relaxing while going through my step by step method. Make sure the ones you use are comfortable!
Of course, Bose is the best in noise cancellation. These not only block out all noise, they are supremely comfortable.
For body position in a chair:
Photo Courtesy Morguefile by Pablogv2004
Make sure both of your feet are resting flat on the floor, spaced a comfortable distance apart, but not too far, or else you will be putting stress on your body. Experiment with the spacing so it's completely stress free.
Your head must be supported and comfortable so that it will not move around when you are completely relaxed.
Allow both arms to lie completely limp at your side, resting on the seat of the chair. Do not let them hang in the air, or put them on your body. They must be absolutely in a relaxed position.
For Sleeping or Napping:
Lie down on a bed (you can nap in a chair or on a sofa as long as you can position your body per the instructions). Make sure your head is completely supported and comfortable, and your legs and arms in a position that you will not feel any need to move them. Again, your arms and legs should be resting, completely limp and comfy.
In both cases, it's critical to success that the position your body is in, is such that you can maintain that relaxed position indefinately without moving too much to adjust. Your eyes must always be closed.
Cradle Your Head For Maximum Comfort
Relieves your neck, shoulders and back from pain. Cool and comfy.
Highest ranking pillow tested by Johns Hopkins University for relieving neck pain. You adjust the firmness by the amount of water you add.
This pillow has memory foam on one side and traditional fill on the other. Great support.
Perfect for the side sleeper, this design supports your neck and shoulders in comfort.
Tips To Be Successfully Relaxed
As you go through the body and mind relaxation, don't be afraid to scratch an itch, or adjust your position, knowing that you will not wake or come out of your journey to feeling peaceful and stress free. Always trust your mind to keep you where you want to be!
You Are Now Ready To Relax!
Follow These Step By Step Instructions
Now that you are prepared in the correct body position, you are ready to begin.
1) Close your eyes and take 3 long deep breaths, one right after the other. Hold the last breath a little bit longer and slowly let it out. As you do so, feel your body's muscles slowly unwind as your breath escapes.
2) Use your mind now to concentrate only on your body, how it feels, imagining the muscles letting loose. Feel your body with your mind, beginning with your toes, slowly working your way to the very top of your head, and then down through your face.
3) As you easily breathe, relax your tongue so it is not pressing against your teeth. You will feel an immediate relaxed sensation when you do this, so check it's position periodically as you are relaxing your body, to make sure it is not back up against your teeth.
4) Continue your mental roaming of your body, telling your muscles to unwind and relax; in the calves of your legs, in your thighs, up through your abdomen and then your chest, and on up your neck and around your face.
5) Let your eyebrows relax and fall limp. Feel your forehead relax. Relax your jaw.
6) Imagine your ankles and feet are able to detach and your feet fall limp. Feel that happen in your mind and you will feel it in your body.
7) In your mind, feel your knees, and allow your lower legs to detach there and fall limp.
8) In your mind, feel your elbows, and allow them to fall limp from your lower arms. Do this for all your joints.
9) Clear your mind of everything, just listening to your breathing and the good feeling of your body at rest.
10) As you are resting with your mind clear, slowly begin counting down from 10.
11) Now with your minds eye, and your mind clear, imagine the place you would most like to be relaxing. Perhaps you will put yourself on a beach, or on the most comfortable sofa you can imagine in a room you would most like to be in. Let your mind create the most wonderful, comfortable place you could ever be.
12) If you want to fall asleep, simply allow your mind to drift into this state of mind comfortably, allowing it to go wherever it wants, trusting how good it will make you feel.
13) If you want to wake, simply begin counting back from 10 and open your eyes at 1. Take a deep breath, stretch your arms and legs and you will feel completely refreshed!
Sounds and Music To Help You Relax
Some of you will find it helpful to listen to relaxation sounds or music while going through these steps. Here are some CD's designed to aid you in stress relief relaxation techniques like mine.
Hour Of The Wolf
Do wake up in the middle of the night and have trouble falling back to sleep? Use this method to relax and gently fall back into a restful sleep.