- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
how to tell if you have cancer
Types of cancer
As we all know cancers occurs in many different forms. Actually there are more than 30 forms of cancer, however am going to list the most common ones as follows
- Breast cancer
- Brain tumors
- Colon cancer
- Lung cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Skin cancer
- Testicular cancer
- Throat cancer
- Thyroid cancer
Those are the most common forms of cancer which are diagnosed every year, there are many other types but they aren’t as common as the above list.
What causes cancer?
This is a common question that many people like to ask. It is believed that only 10% of all cancers are hereditary. Actually most cancers don’t result from inherited genes but result from damaging of genes. There are things that we actually ingest from home that could actually trigger the growth of cancer cells, shocking isn’t it. Am going to list them as follows
Personal care products
These are products that people use daily to keep their hair, skin, feet or any other part of the body fresh and healthy. This products include soaps, lotion, sunscreen, shampoo, toothpaste, detergents etc. these products contain toxic substances like sodium lauryl in soap which can trigger skin cancer. But let me clarify that not all products have these toxic substance and that’s why you are advised to read the ingredients that have been used to make that product before buying it. I would advise you to use organic and plant based products to avoid the buildup of toxins which can cause cancer.
Food additives refers to any substance added to food to add flavor, improve the taste and change the appearance. These additives have been known to trigger the growth of cancer cells in the body when ingested in large amounts. So to avoid the risk it would be advisable to put small amounts of additives in the food and maybe avoid ingesting them daily.
This case applies to drinking a lot of water with heavy metals, contaminants and mostly chlorine. I know many homes taking in tap water consisting of chlorine and even swimming pools treated with chlorine. The truth is, scientists have made their research and concluded that chlorine can also trigger the build up of cancer cells in the body when taken in large amounts. So think twice before you drink chlorinated water.
This is a well-known global pollutant. It’s not surprising to note that it also causes cancer. We use plastics all the time like wrapping food in plastic papers and drinking water and coke in plastic bottles. Plastic contains chemicals such as phthalates which is known to trigger the growth of cancer cells in the body. So it’s advisable to avoid use of plastics all the time, in fact plastics should be banned when used near food and drinks.
By drugs I refer to illegal drugs that are abused. They include,
and many others. Many of these drugs are taken by inhaling them inside our bodies. They are known to be the main cause of lung cancers. This is true because many people who smoke these drugs daily are often diagnosed with lung cancer. The only way to avoid the risk it to quit taking these drugs and maybe countries should ban and heavily fine and arrest people who import these drugs.
Ways you can know if you have cancer.
If you have never been screened for cancer, there are several ways you can be able to detect if you have cancer.
- Blood in your urine or stool. This can be a sign of kidney, bladder or colon cancer especially when the cancer is in its first stage. If you notice these signs you should immediately go to the doctor for a check up
- Changes in you testicles (for men). This is one of the easiest ways to know if you have testicular cancer. If notice a lump or any other change in your testicle you should go see a doctor a sap
- Breast changes (for women) again this is one of the easiest ways to know if you have breast cancer. If check your breast and notice a lump you should go see a doctor
- Fever. I know fever can be caused by much disease and one of them is cancer. In fact it’s not good to ignore going for a hospital checkup if you have fever. It could signal leukemia.
- Tiredness. If you notice that you are getting tired all the time without doing any activity you should go to a doctor. Fatigue is also a sign of cancer
- Cough. Never ignore a cough, I know many coughs are caused by cold, but this case applies mostly to heavy smokers, it may be a sign of lung cancer.
- Pain- if you are feeling unbearable pain in any body part that does not go away, you should go see a doctor to check you. It could be a signal of cancer
- Weight loss. This case applies to losing weight without doing any exercise. Many diseases can trigger loss of weight and one of them is cancer
- Heartburn. Heartburns can be caused by many things and one of them is changes in diet. If you notice a heartburn that does not go away even after taking drugs, its good to go for cancer screening, it could be a sign of stomach or throat cancer.
- Swollen lymph nodes- if you have a swollen lymph node that does not get better in two to four weeks, it good to get checked by the doctor for thyroid cancer
- Skin changes- if you notice a strange mole on your skin and you’ve never seen it before, or either it has a strange color and large in size. You should go see a doctor to get checked for skin cancer.
Remember always, cancer is a deadly disease that has killed millions of people. It has no cure. The best way to prevent it is to take a step and see a doctor every month for cancer screening so that it can be found and treated early.