- Alternative & Natural Medicine
The Old Ways of Treating Conditions/Ailments Were the Best
Who really enjoys home remedies? People who like the older, simpler ways of doing things. People who don't much trust modern medicine, doctors and prescription drugs collect home remedies like others collect recipes. Those who want to live frugally appreciate them. Those who want relief now without waiting around for a doctor's appointment enjoy the quickness of finding and using a home remedy treatment. Those who believe that nature's way is usually the better way like the simpleness of home cures. Those who take pride in their innovation prefer to try something unique sounding as a cure or treatment instead of running off to the doctor.
Just be smart and know when the time for using a home remedy has come and gone. When that fever is too high and is staying high it's time to call the doctor. When dizziness doesn't come in once in a while bouts, but in daily episodes, it's time to get it checked out by a professional. You get the idea. Use common sense when applying home remedies to serious illnesses and ailments.
1. Acne - One quick tip if you have a flare-up of acne the night before a big social obligation is to apply toothpaste. Just dab on some toothpaste (not the gel kind) with a Q-tip on the pimples, leave it on overnight, and expect them to be dried up by morning. If the spot you're treating is red, crush up half of an aspirin tablet and mix with the paste. Aspirin contains benzoyl peroxide, an ingredient found in many acne medications that reduce redness.
Apple Cider Vinegar is an effective natural agent that cures acne by killing the bacteria and balancing the skin's pH level. It also absorbs excessive oil from the skin:
* Dilute the apple cider vinegar with one part vinegar to 3 to 4 parts of water.
* Apply the solution directly to the skin with a clean cotton cloth, and leave it there for about ten minutes.
* Rinse off the vinegar.
* Repeat this three times a day. Don't rinse and leave on overnight for severe cases.
2. Age spots (brown spots) - Don't forget to always use sunscreen and to limit sun exposure to prevent more age spots from forming. 1. Apply buttermilk on the spots. The lactic acid and other ingredients in the milk are good for the skin. 2. Rub aloe vera into the spots. 3. Soak a cotton ball with 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon orange juice and apply on spots. 4. Apply lemon juice. 5. Cook scented geranium leaves in boiling water, strain, cool, and apply. 5. Mix 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1 tablespoon yogurt, 1 tablespoon oatmeal and 3-4 drops lemon juice. Apply to spots and leave for 10 minutes then wash off. 6. Cut horseradish and soak the pieces in warm milk. Cool and apply on the brown spots. 7. Lotions and creams that contain alpha hydroxy acid (or AHA) will remove the spots. Do not use cleansing creams, especially hydrogenated, hardened creams. Cleanse your skin with pure olive oil and a warm wet washcloth. Rinse with lemon juice and water.
3. Allergies - Everyone wants to find a way around taking antihistamines which, despite the labels saying they don't cause drowsiness, do seem to promote it, as well as grogginess and dry mouth. Start the allergy season with health prevention. Work your way up to larger doses of bee pollen to counteract hay fever and allergy attacks. During attacks try cayenne pepper, ginger, garlic and onions, all of which will help flush the body of toxins and their resultant allergy symptoms. Eucalyptus calms coughs and relieves nasal congestion. It is both an antiseptic and a stimulant. It also has expectorant and antibiotic properties. The powerful vapor from eucalyptus clears congestion and loosens mucus. Garlic helps because it is an antiseptic agent and it builds immunity.
Powdered licorice root has been used since ancient times as a cough remedy and is often present in modern cough syrups. However, It should be used with caution by anyone prone to high blood pressure as excessive use of licorice will make hypertension worse.
4.Alzheimer's Disease. The common spice, turmeric, may lead to a cure for Alzheimer's Disease. Turmeric is one spice, besides curry, that contains a phytochemical called curcumin, that shows possible treatment for Alzheimer's and other aging diseases. Tests done by scientists at UCLA show that large doses of curcumin can prevent the Alzheimer's plaques from forming and it can break down existing plaques. In tests with mice, mice that ate curcumin had 85% fewer plaques than a control group which ate no curcumin. It can also be eaten regularly as it also helps to aid digestion and fight infection. According to medical experts, an average dose of curcumin consists of 400 to 600 milligrams in capsule form, and can be taken safely three times a day. Coenzyme Q10 100-200 mg daily increases oxygenation of cells and is involved in the generation of cellular energy. Pycnogenol, 3X daily, or grape seed extract, as directed on label, are potent antioxidants that readily pass the blood-brain barrier to protect brain cells from free radical damage. Boron, 3 mg. daily, improves brain function.
5. Anxiety - There are several effective herbs that are helpful. Valerian root is wonderful for the occasional anxiety problem. St. John's wort relieves anxiety and can be taken daily. Kava kava supplements can be found at your local pharmacy or you can order them online. Taken as directed Kava will help keep your anxiety to a minimum. Kava should not be taken on a long-term basis as it has been linked to liver damage. Lemon Balm is a sedative and will help not only your anxiety and depression, but it will also help with sleeplessness. The supplement selenium, included in most multiple vitamins, has been shown to elevate mood and decrease anxiety. Limit animal protein consumption. Focus on meals high in complex carbohydrates and vegetable proteins.
If you have a nervous condition, you can use honey to calm your body, calm your mind, and to help you live your life more fully as you would like. What you need to do is drink tea in the morning with two tablespoons of honey added.
Almonds calm anxiety. Soak 10 raw almonds overnight in water to soften, then peel off the skins. Put almonds in blender with 1 cup warm milk, a pinch of nutmeg, and a pinch of ginger. Drink at night to help you relax before going to bed.
Baking soda helps anxiety. Add 1/3 cup baking soda and 1/3 cup ginger to a nice warm bath. Soak in the tub for 15
minutes to relieve tension and anxiety.
6. Arthritis - Epsom Salt is high in magnesium. Magnesium is important for bone growth and regulates the body's pH level. A deficiency of magnesium lowers the ability of the body to absorb and use calcium and phosphorus, which are the two primary bone-building minerals. Foods rich in folic acid such as lentils,split peas, barley, alfalfa, soy and oats are good to consume if you have arthritis. Aloe vera cleanses the intestines and rids the body of the toxins that cause arthritis. The old-fashioned, once popular remedy of cod liver oil still works. Fish oil softgels, 1,000mg three times per day will help to lubricate the joints, thus releiving the pain. Drink one quarter cup of black cherry juice a day to cure your arthritis. It will take about two or three months for good results, but don't give up. The high sulfur content in garlic and onions stops inflammation. The supplement coenzyme Q10, 60 mg, should be taken daily because it increases tissue oxygenation to aid in repair of connective tissues. Garlic inhibits the formation of free radicals which can further damage the joints.
7. Asthma - The caffeine in regular coffee can help prevent and control asthma attacks. Caffeine has well-researched bronchodilating effects. Don't add milk or cream which will give you phlegm. Make it good and strong. Wild cherry tree bark can be found at your local health food store. Make a tea out of this to suit your taste. Drinking this will decrease your attacks. Pure eucalyptus oil can be used to treat asthma symptoms. Put some on a paper towel or handkerchief and lay it by your head. Just breathing the eucalyptus oil can help relieve asthma symptoms.
The Water, Salt, and Baking Soda Remedy - Take one cup of warm water, half a teaspoon of salt, and a pinch of baking soda and mix them up. Hold your head over the sink and run the solution through your nose. This solution will flush out your nose and open up your airways to help you breathe better and relieve your asthma symptoms. You can also use a Neti pot with salt water.
Flaxseed oil or evening primrose oil, 1,000 mg. twice daily, should be taken before meals because they are sources of essential fatty acids needed for production of anti-inflammatory prostatglandins.
8. Athletes' Foot - Tea tree oil is a wonderful natural antibiotic. Apply tea tree oil to affected area by daubing with 1-2 drops on cotton ball. Or just dilute a dab of rubbing alcohol with water and soak a cotton ball with it. Apply the rubbing alcohol soaked cotton ball to the infected area of the foot. Allow it to dry. Or soak your foot in a 50/50 mixture of apple cider vinegar and water for 10 minutes every day for up to 10 days or until the symptoms disappear. Apple cider vinegar, even diluted, will relieve the itching and peeling. . You can also soak a cotton ball in the vinegar, apply it to the infected area of the foot and allow to dry. Vinegar has antifungal properties that kills the fungus and prevents athletes foot from returning. Or apply aloe vera twice a day to infected area. Cut raw garlic into tiny pieces and wear them in your shoes for a few days. The garlic will be absorbed into the skin. Dust your feet with garlic powder.
9. Backaches - Soaking in a bathtub of hot water and 2 cups vinegar for 30 minutes will help relieve a minor backache and soothe sore muscles. Epsom salts ease back pain by reducing swelling. When taking a soak in the tub, add at least two cups of Epsom salts and soak in the tub for 30 minutes. Some people swear by the rice in a tube sock method. Take a clean, thick sock and fill it with uncooked rice. Place the rice filled sock in the microwave for up to a minute and apply it to your back.
Ginger root has anti-inflammatory compounds which have mild aspirin-like effects. Cut a fresh ginger root into slices and put in boiling water. Cook the slices of ginger root on low heat for 30 minutes, strain, sweeten with honey or sugar to taste and drink.
Take the amino acid supplement L-Proline, 500 mg daily, on an empty stomach. Take with water or juice. Do not take with milk. Take with 50 mg. vitamin B6 and 100 mg. vitamin C for better absorption. It heals cartilage and strengthens muscles and tissues.
10. Bad breath - You are out on a high pressure date but you just couldn't resist the onions and/or garlic. Don't panic or run running for the breath mints. The most effective course of treatment is probably right on your dinner plate: the parsley. This herb is rich in chlorophyll which kills the bacteria that causes the odor. You can either just chew on it or if you are home you can make a mouthwash from it. Boil two cups of water for ten minutes. Add several sprigs of parsley to the hot water. Add some cloves and stir while it is cooling. Use this as a daily mouthwash and/or gargle. Or you can try chewing on licorice or cardamom seeds to freshen your breath. Boil some cinnamon bark in a cup of water. Store it in a bottle in your bathroom for frequent use as a mouthwash.
11. Bee (and wasp) stings - Don't use home remedies if you are allergic to stings. First scrape out the stinger with a straight-edged card. Then clean the wound. Apply ice for pain relief. If the area actually aches, elevate the body part involved. There are well-proven antibacterial properties in raw honey. It may be applied full strength or diluted as much as 10:1. It is sometimes superior in dealing with drug-resistant strains of bacteria. Rubbing a wet aspirin on the sting can help neutralize some of the inflammatory agents in the venom. Meat tenderizer and water made into a paste and applied to the sting for 30 minutes will stop the venom cold as well. It works because the meat tenderizer breaks down the protein. Look for a tenderizer product with the ingredient papain. Some people find relief with a paste made from baking soda and water. You can use some calamine lotion or soak in a bath of powdered oatmeal.
12. Blisters - If your blister becomes red and tender, soak it in some epsom salts. Don't break them. Let them break on their own. Blisters are often very painful. They can become infected if not treated. If they seem likely to break, it's better to drain them yourself. Gently wash the area with soap and water. Then with a sterile needle, make a small puncture in the side of the blister close to the undamaged skin. Gently drain the fluid and cover with a sterile bandage. Aloe vera, zinc ointment, or vitamin E oil will help heal a blister. Garlic oil works as an excellent disinfectant for infected blisters. Instead of popping a blister, dab a cotton ball dipped in witch hazel on the area at least four times per day. It contains astringent tannins that dry up the fluid-filled skin and relieve pain by increasing circulating.
13. Boils - Boils usually are very painful, red in color with some pus inside. You can soak a boil in epsom salt and water. Never squeeze a boil. At the outset, a painful red nodule appears on the skin. The nodule grows bigger. It then breaks down in the middle where the pus collects. The skin boils ripen and then give out a discharge. Fever may sometimes arise in a person with boils. Garlic and onions have been proved to be among the most effective home remedies for boils. Onion juice or garlic juice may be applied on boils externally to ripen them, break and evacuate the pus. Juices of both these vegetables can be mixed in equal quantities and applied on the boil for beneficial results. Cumin seeds are beneficial in the treatment of boils. Cumin seeds are ground to a paste in water. This cumin seed paste is applied to boils for beneficial results.
14. Breastfeeding problems - Castor oil helps with inflammation and pain. Chamomile helps control inflamed breasts. Eat alfalfa or take it in capsules. It stimulates lactation, improves quality and quantity of milk. Vervain encourages milk secretion and flow. It also increases absorption of nutrients from food and helps with postpartum depression. Take a handful of Confrey leaves and steam them for a few minutes wrapped in a gauze and placed on the breast is very helpful relieving engorgement. Eat plenty of garlic. Researchers at the Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia found that mothers who ate 1.5 grams of garlic extract two hours before nursing got an odor in their milk that prompted infants to suck longer and possibly ingest more milk. Besides that, the babies experienced no abdominal cramps or other problems associated with spicy foods. Fenugreek seeds have an oxytocin-like effect on the body. They help stimulate milk production and contracting of the uterus.
15.Bronchitis - Almonds are rich in potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Almonds are especially known for their healing powers in respiratory illnesses. Honey is a natural remedy for the coughing caused by bronchitis.
To relieve the cough, slice an onion into a bowl. Cover it with honey. Allow to stand overnight, and then remove the onion. Onions are expectorants that help mucus flow. Use them raw, cooked or baked.
Take one teaspoon of the honey four times a day. Lemons help rid the respiratory system of bacteria and mucus. Make a cup of lemon tea by gating one teaspoon of lemon rind and adding to it one cup boiling water. Steep for five minutes. Strain into a cup and drink. Take a steam treatment:
Fill the sink with hot water. Cover your head with a towel and bend over it and breathe it in. Add a few drops of eucalyptus, peppermint or rosemary oil.
Take the supplement coenzyme Q10, 60 mg daily, for improved circulation and breathing.
Chlorophyll or "green drinks" (fresh wheat grass juice, Kyo-Green from Wakunaga), as directed on label. Take to improve circulation, and to keep tissues free of toxic substances. Use liquid or tablet form.
To aid recovery, blow up a balloon a few times daily. One research study showed that after eight weeks of this therapy, people with bronchitis were much less breathless.
Siberian ginseng clears bronchial passages and reduces inflammation.
Fenugreek is good for reducing the flow of mucus.
Inhale the vapors of eucalptus leaves or oil to help relieve respiratory problems.
16.Bruises - Make a poultice of mustard and apply to the bruise. It will draw the blood away from the bruise. Combine 2 parts of ground mustard seed with one part honey and one part finely chopped onion. Apply to the bruised area and cover with a bandage. This will relieve the bruise and swelling.
Make a poultice of roasted onions and apply to the bruise. Slice a raw onion and place over the bruise. Do not apply this to broken skin. Cut an onion, dip it in apple cider vinegar and rub on the bruise as soon after it occurs as possible to prevent black and blue marks.
Make a compress and soak it in vinegar to alleviate the bruise and swelling. Avoid getting it in the eyes.
Rub a cream with vitamin K, needed for healing, on the bruise twice a day. Vitamin K will aid your body in breaking down blood and reabsorbing it. The act of rubbing helps speed the process.
A tincture of witch hazel will relieve swelling and bruises. Apply as a cool compress.
Alflfa supplies needed minerals and vitamin K. Take it in tablet form as directed on label.
If bruising is frequent, consult your health care provider.
17.Burns - Science Daily reported on Oct. 9, 2008 that honey may reduce healing times in patients suffering mild to moderate burn wounds. It was found to be useful as an alternative to traditional wound dressing in treating burns. The mechanism of the action is unclear. Current interest in medicinal honey focuses largely on its antibacterial effects.
Put 2 tablespoons of yogurt on the burn and wait 15 minutes.
Cut an onion and apply immediately on the burn.
Herbal remedy for burns: put Aloe Vera on the burn every few hours, can also mix with lavender oil.
Put some mustard on the burn.
Apply some dish washing detergent on the spot, immediately after getting burned.
Dab on pure essential lavender oil. The pain dissipates within ten minutes. Depending on the severity of the burn, apply several times a day for a few days. It won't leave a scar and it smells good too.
Apply colloidal silver topically as directed on label. It is a natural antibiotic and disinfectant that promotes healing.
Take zinc 30 mg 3X daily. It is needed for healing of tissues.
Applied topically to burned skin, dimetylsulfoxide (DMSO), a by-product of wood processing, has been reported to have a remarkable ability to relieve pain and promote healing. Note: Only DMSO from a health food store should be used. Commercial-grade DMSO found in hardware stores is not suitable.
18.Canker Sores - You can once again eat in comfort if you douse painful canker sores with raspberry leaf tea. Steep 2 tablespoons of dried raspberry leaves in 1 cup boiling water until it cools. Strain the tea. Then swish a few mouthfuls for about one minute three times per day. The tannins in the tea reduce the swelling and clean the sore for faster healing.
Take 2-4 acidophilus capsules four times a day with milk. Make sure the tablets contain living organisms. The milk is an activating culture medium for the bacilli. This will reduce the pain and speed up healing. Eating plain yogurt (with acidophilus) with live cultures will add friendly bacteria to your mouth and help healing by competing with the bad bacteria. Yogurt seems to stimulates the immune system.
Use aloe vera juice as a mouth rinse several times a day.
Use burdock, goldenseal, pau d'arco tea, and red clover herbs to cleanse the bloodstream and decrease infection. Caution: Do not take goldenseal on a daily basis for more than one week at a time, and do not use it during pregnancy. Use only under a doctor's supervision if you have a history of cardiovascular disesse, diabetes, or glaucoma. Goldenseal extract or tea tree oil applied twice during the day and again at bedtime, helps to speed healing. Use alcohol-free goldenseal extract.
Add a drop or two to your toothpaste. To use these as mouthwashes, add three drops to 4 ounces of water.
19.Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Massage the hurt spot with mint oil or lavender oil. When working on a computer use a wrist rest. Home remedy for carpal tunnel syndrome: put your hand in warm water for 30 minutes. You can add lavender oil to the water. Splint your wrist through the night.
Take vitamin B-6 supplements and include foods rich in vitamin B and especially vitamin B6 in your diet. Avoid packaged foods because it contains tartrazine which interferes with vitamin B6.A Japanese study of 174 university students found that students with lower levels of vitamin B6 showed symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. Food sources of vitamin B6 include sweet potatoes, avocados, brown rice, sunflower seeds, chick peas, salmon, pork, chicken, turkey, potatoes, bok choy, barley, bananas, and mangoes.
Try immersing your hands and wrists in tolerably hot water for 3 minutes, then in cold water for 30 seconds. Repeat three to five times, once or twice a day.
Helpful herbs: Aloe vera, devil's claw, yarrow, butcher's broom and yucca are helpful for restoring flexibility and reducing inflammation. Capsicum relieves pain and is a catalyst for other herbs. Gingo biloba should in tea or capsule form for improving ciculation and because it aids in nerve function. Skullcap relieves muscle spasms and pain. Wintergreen oil aids inpain relief and circulation to the muscles.
Eat half of a fresh pineapple daily daily until relief is achieved, generally one to three weeks. It contains bromelain, which reduces pain and swelling. Only fresh pineapple is effective.
Try homeopathic Rhus toxicodendron for relief of acute swelling and pain. Zhen Gu Shi, a potent Chinese liniment for inflamed joints, is also good. It is sold in many Asian markets.
20.Chickenpox - Most people know to go buy colloidal oatmeal such as Aveeno to bathe in to treat itchy skin. Twice daily is good. It is not only non-irritating and soothing, but it has a slight anti-inflammatory effect. Or you can make a baking soda paste to soothe the rash and ease the itch. Honey can prevent scarring as does rubbing vitamin E oil applied over the affected area.
A good home remedy to relieve the itching is to mix 1 cup of white kitchen vinegar, 1/2 cup of baking soda and one to two capfuls of Alpha Keri body oil in a bath. After a good soak of 15 to 20 minutes, leave the bathtub and then apply Dyprotex cream, an over-the-counter product that is sold as pads or in lotion form. This relieves itching better than some of the other anti-itch formulas, and since it doesn't crust like those other drying agents, there's less chance of scarring.
Helpful herbs to take by tea, extract or capsule: burdock root, echinacea, ginger, goldenseal, pau d'arco and St. John's wort. Catnip tea sweetened with molasses is good for fever and can be given to infants and children as well as to adults. It will reduce fevers in children over age two.
Garlic, 2 capsules 3X daily, acts as a natural antibiotic and aids in healing.
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), 60 mg daily, aids in healing and is a powerful antioxidant and immune stimulant.
21.High Cholesterol - Eat plenty of oatmeal daily.
Boil 10 pieces of cinnamon sticks (2.5cm each) in 5 teacups of water. Add a tablespoon of honey and drink hot.
Eat lots of honey to reduce cholesterol level. Eat one to two apples daily.
Drink lemon grass tea several times daily.`
Drink 1/2 glass of red wine every day before bedtime.
Eat one cup of walnuts per day.
Eat one garlic clove on an empty stomach every morning.
Vitamin B3, also called niacin, is used to lower cholesterol. Specifically, it appears to lower LDL cholesterol and increase HDL cholesterol.
There is some research suggesting that artichoke leaf extract (Cynara scolymnus) may help to lower cholesterol. Artichoke leaf extract may work by limiting the synthesis of cholesterol in the body. Artichokes also contain a compound called cynarin, believed to increase bile production in the liver and speed the flow of bile from the gallbladder, both of which may increase cholesterol excretion.
22. Circulation (poor). Common factors in poor circulation can be genetic predisposition, blood deficiency, or lack of exercise. Cayenne is a superb circulatory stimulant. Ginger warms the digestion and helps stimulate the body. Prickly ash is another circulatory stimulant. Ginkgo biloba helps regulate blood flow. CoQ10, available at the drugstore, is included in the treatment of a weakened immune system as it is an antioxidant and has been shown to support heart health. It improves tissue oxygenation. Anthocyanin is the red stuff in grapes. It increases coronary heart flow and heals varicose veins. Capsicum power (cayenne pepper) mixed with fresh ginger helps circulation. Vitamin B6 and B12, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, niacin, and magnesium help circulation.
Pineapple is good because of the proleclytic enzyme bromelain in it which help prevent inflammation. It helps the body get rid of immune antigen complex compounds.
Daily intake of garlic stimulates blood flow. It also lowers blood pressure, helps to strengthen the heart muscle and thins the blood.
Take the amino acid L-Carnitine, 500 mg 2X daily, to help strengthen the heart muscle and to promote circulation by transporting long fatty acid chains.
Lecithin granules, 1 tbsp 3X daily before meals, emulsifies or breaks up fats.
23. Colds - As an immunity booster, garlic has a natural antibiotic called Allicin. Garlic is most effective when you drink some fresh juice or take garlic capsules. Onions share some of the same antiviral properties as garlic. When these two are used together in cooking, as in homemade chicken soup, they have restorative powers. Better yet, stick a clove of garlic in your mouth and bite down to release the juices.
Fresh ginger root tea is another great restorer of health. With about an ounce of freshly grated ginger root put into a pint of water and simmer for up to 10 minutes. Add a little honey and lemon to take the bite of the ginger away.
Lemon has high levels of Vitamin C, of course, and honey also does its part to help the immune system,
Licorice tea or even licorice candy is a soothing agent with anti-viral properties. It is good for heavy coughs and sore throats.
Helpful herbs: Ephedra (ma huang) is good for congestion and coughing. Caution: Do not use if you suffer from anxiety, glaucom, heart disease, high blod pressure, insomnia, or if you are taking a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor for depression. Ginger, pau d'arco, slippery elm, and yarrow tea all help the common cold. Eucalyptus oil is helpful fo relieving congestion. Put 5 drops in a hot bath, or pt 6 drops in a cup of boiling water and inhale the steam.
24. Cold sores (herpes simplex) - A compress of whole milk placed directly on the cold sore can ease pain and speed up the healing process. Allow the milk to sit at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before placing the compress on the sore. Be sure to rinse your skin afterward because the milk can become sour smelling. It is only whole milk with its extra protein that is effective.
The grape seeds in combination with aloe work better in fighting against cold sores. Mix few drops of grape seed extract with aloe. Other liquids such as olive oil may also used instead of aloe. Dab the mixture on to the affected areas, which will prevent the sore from further development. Since grape seed extract is very strong, it should be used meagerly.
Ice is another method to reduce the pain of cold sores. Rub the ice cub on the sore for a few minutes. This should be done in the early stage at least every ten minutes for an hour. This measure may stop the movement of the virus from the nerve to the skin.
The beneficial bacteria in yogurt promote digestive processes necessary for a healthy immune system to prevent future outbreaks.
Helpful herbs: Echinacea, goldenseal, pau d'arco and red clover. (See caution re goldenseal). Garlic: take fresh or 2 capsules 3X dily. This acts as a natural antibiotic and immunity enhancer.
Take L-Lysine, 500 mg 2X daily, for prevention the virus that causes cold sores. Caution: Do not take for longer than six months at a time.
25.Constipation - Soluble fiber, found in grains, legumes and fruits, is particularly effective. Oatmeal, rice, wheat germ, corn bran, prunes, raisins, apricots, figs and an apple a day are all good sources. Drinking ginger tea will help start a bowel movement. Eat a few black licorice sticks. Dried figs work just as well as prunes. They contain soluble and insoluble fiber, both of which flush out your intestines. Take apple pectin. It is a good source of fiber.
Make sure you're getting enough folic acid in your diet. You were given a tablespoon of castor oil when you were a child because it worked. Have it with half a cup of orange juice.
A teaspoonful of slightly roasted fennel, taken at bedtime with a glass of warm water acts as a mild laxative.
You can mix 1 to 3 tablespoons of honey with water and drink it completely for relief.
Give small infants and children 6-8 raisins soaked in hot water, cooled, crushed well and strained to regulate their bowel movements.
Garlic, fresh or 2 capsules 2X daily, destroys harmful bacteria in the colon.
Vitamin C, 5,000-20,000 mg. daily in divided doses, has a cleansing and healing effect. Use a buffered form.
Try taking essential fatty acids, as directed on label, or freshly ground flaxseeds, 1 tbsp 3X daily with meals. They are needed for proper digestion and stool formation. Also provide B vitamins and fiber. Flaxseed oil or freshly ground flaxseeds help to soften stools.
26.Corns/Calluses- Aspirin is very effective for getting rid of painful corns. Combine two aspirins with three drops of water to make a good corn remover. Place mixture directly onto corn. Keep in place with a band-aid, preferably overnight. Repeat until corn breaks down and heals. A very old home remedy is the use of castor oil. It is one of the quicker methods. It only takes three to four days of healing. Apply the oil directly up to three times daily. This will hurry it into hardening, making it easier to file off with a pumice stone.
Mix an equal mixture combining baking soda, juice from a lime and water. Apply directly onto corn ever night for 5-7 days. Corn will naturally dry out and flake off. Be very careful not to allow solution to contact surrounding areas. A cotton ball between corn and other toe can be used to keep area separate.
To treat corns and calluses, soften the thickened skin with 2 tablespoons of Dr. Bronner's liquid soap (available at health food stores and at some grocery and drug stores) or a mild dish soap to 1/2 gallon warm water. Soak your feet in this for 15 minutes. Dry with a towel and rub with a couple drops of vitamin E oil into affected area. Then using a pumice stone or a special callus file, gently file down the top layer of the corn or callus. Clean the area with mild soap and waer, using a gauze pad or a cotton ball. Do this twice a day. Wear clean white cotton socks after treatment.
27. Coughs - Steep 3-4 cloves of garlic in a cool, dark place for two weeks. Use several drops at a time, several times a day for coughs or asthma. Garlic is an exceptional cleanser for the body and has antimicrobial action similar to other antibiotics.
Nothing works faster to clear clogged sinuses than horseradish, The oils in this plant boost circulation in your nasal passages, which then loosens mucus. Mix a teaspoon of grated fresh horseradish with a little apple cider vinegar or honey. Inhale deeply as you grate the horseradish. The fumes alone will start breaking up your congestion and you will cough much less.
Homemade cough syrup: 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (said to relieve pain), 1/4 tspn ground ginger (an anti-inflammatory), 1 Tbsp honey (antibacterial), 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, and 2 Tbsps water. Mix it all together, and take 3 tspns of it every few hours.
28. Dandruff - One method of conquering dandruff is to massage some heated pure virgin olive oil into the scalp and then vigorously brush the hair with a natural-bristle hairbrush to loosen the dandruff scales. Microwave the oil only until it is warm to the touch. Apply it no more than twice a week. Leave it on for about 20 minutes. Then wash it out with a good shampoo.
Another dandruff treatment is to pour distilled white vinegar onto the hair as close to the scalp as you can manage. Massage it into the scalp. Allow it to dry for several minutes, and then wash hair as usual. Repeat daily until the dandruff is gone. Usually it only takes a few days. A hot steam bath is also highly beneficial for the hair and scalp. Massage hot oil into the scalp and wrap a hot damp towel on the head for a few minutes.
29. Depression - 5-HTP supplements have become popular because it is thought that providing the body with 5-HTP in pill form can boost the body's serotonin levels, similar to the antidepressants that are thought to increase the amount of serotonin available to the brain. It is found in health food stores, online, and at some drug stores.
Another supplement that has had very good results treating depression is SAM-e, S-adenosylmethionine. There have been a number of studies on the use of SAMe for depression. It has been hypothesized that SAMe increases the availaibility of neurotransmitter serotonin and dopamine.
Controlled studies have shown that the herb St. John's Wort is as effective as Prozac in treating depression. It can affect the way some prescription drugs work. If you are on other medications, you need to discuss taking it with your doctor. Also, you need to limit your time spent in the sun while on it.
The amino acid L-tyrosine, up to 50 mg per pound of body weight daily taken on an empty stomach with 50 mg vitamin B6 and 100-500 mg vitamin c for better absorption is best taken at bedtime. It alleviates stress by boosting production o adrenaline. It also raises dopamine levels wit influence moods. Do not take with an MAO inhibitor drug.
Calcium, 1,500-2,000 mg daily, and magnesium (chelate form) , 1,000 mg daily, have a calming effect. They are needed for the nervous system. Selenium has been shown to elevate mood and to decrease anxiety.
30. Diabetes Mellitus - Using chlorophyll and eating a proper diet over a period of several months may reduce the need for insulin and lower blood sugar to an acceptable level. Cinnamon is helpful in controlling blood-sugar level in the body as it has anti-clotting quality.
Mango leaves help diabetes control. Take 10-12 leaves and boil it in 4-5 tea cups of water for 10 minutes. Allow it to rest overnight, and drink this in an empty stomach.
Curry leaves are good for curing diabetes. Take 5-10 leaves regularly.
Fenugreek leaves are good for diabetes control. Regularly drink a glass of warm milk adding a pinch of fenugreek powder and turmeric powder, as it works wonder for diabetes.
Eat blackberries, as they are very good for curing diabetes.
Eat low carbohydrates diet. Avoid rice, sweets, fried foods, white flour, mango, and alcohol.
Dandelion root and eyebright herbs cleanse the liver and blood which helps treat diabetes.
The amino acids L-glutamine, 500 mg 2X daily on an empty stomach, should be tken to reduce the craving for sugars. Taurine, 500 mg 2X daily on an empty stomach, should be taken to aid in the release of insulin.
Supplement your diet with spirulina (available at health food stores). Spirulina helps to stabilize blood sugar levels.
31. . Diaper Rash - Grapefruit seed extract - This extract, available at drugstores, is a powerful all-around antimicrobial product and is an excellent disinfectant. For antiseptic uses, make a solution of 4-40 drops in four ounces of water and apply to the affected areas as a spray for babies. Carefully spray the area covered by diapers at each changing, being careful to keep out of the baby's eyes. This should clear up any diaper rash in five to seven days.
Adding a little oatmeal to the baby's bathwater can help to clear up diaper rash. Be sure to rinse and dry the skin well.
You can make a paste of Vaseline and cornstarch to apply to the diaper area. Vaseline helps to heal sore irritated skin and cornstarch helps to dry up the rash. Soothe diaper rash by smoothing on a bit of vegetable oil.Soothe diaper rash and aid healing by adding a bit of baking soda to the bath water.
32. Diarrhea - Liquids only for 24 hours. You can kill the bacteria that cause diarrhea with honey and water. Add three teaspoons of honey with ten ounces of water. You may need to add more fluids and salt to your diet which has been lost. Try fruit juices, soup, broth from soup, noodles, bananas, applesauce and even vegetables that have been boiled. If you are dehydrated from the diarrhea you can mix fruit juice with a teaspoon of corn syrup or honey with a tiny pinch of salt. You can also just drink tea (black) with or without the honey.
If you realize the diarrhea has stopped, you can eat a couple spoonfuls of yogurt every couple of hours while still drinking the tea. Take cayenne in capsules. Ginger tea can stop cramps and abdominal pain. Or take ginger in capsules.
Drinks like ginger ale or carrot juice are good for making the stools less watery.
To absorb toxins from the colon and bloodstream, take charcoal tablets, 4 tablets every hour with water until diarrhea subsides. Take separately from other supplements, herbs and medications.
Carob powder is high in protein and helps put a stop to diarrhea.
33. Dizziness - A common kitchen spice can stop a case of the dizzies. Simply drop a pinch of cayenne into a glass of warm water and sip. The warmth of the water and the heat of the cayenne cause your body to pump more blood and oxygen to your brain, which makes you feel clearheaded and steady. If you continue to experience frequent bouts of dizziness, see your doctor.
Squeeze the skin between the eyebrows. This is an acupressure point.
Basil is a good tonic that could help address dizziness as well as cramps and diarrhea. To use basil to aid with dizzy spells, put three leaves into a cup of boiling milk. Drink it up before you go to bed.
Treat dizziness with lemon juice: Lemon juice has medicinal properties that help relax the veins that lead to the brain.
Coriander seeds have long been used in the olden times to prevent fainting due to dizziness in funerals. These seeds could help regulate one's breathing.
34. Dry skin - dry skin refers to the situation when less oil is produced by the oil glands. It is the main problem during winters when humidity is less. It makes the skin tight after wash and also causes scaliness and cracks on the skin in severe cases. Almond and grapeseed oil are the quickest fixes for dry skin. They soak into your skin faster than creamy moisturizers. If your skin is extra dry and rough, opt for thicker oils like castor and avocado. If you're prone to breakouts, try filtered jojoba oil.
Mash a ripe banana and apply it on the face and neck. Leave it for some time and then wash the face with lukewarm water.
Massaging the skin with grapeseed oil is a very effective measure for treating dry skin. In severe cases of dry skin, castor oil or avocado oil is highly beneficial. Aloe vera gel is also effective.
35. Earache - An earache can sometimes be soothed by aiming a warm blowdryer at the offending ear.
Using a roasted onion is a popular remedy. Heat an onion and wait until it cools. Then wrap the onion in a cloth and place it over the ear. The onion has an antibiotic effect on the ear. It will also help relieve the pain.
Many people have heard of using "sweet oil" for earaches. If you do not have sweet oil, simply use baby oil. Heat the bottle of baby oil to a warm temperature. Put a couple of drops in the ear or ears which are hurting. Put a small piece of cotton in the ear, so that the oil will not drain out.
For those who have an earache as a result of an ear infection, or swimmers ear, garlic may give relief. Garlic has many health benefits and will help to ease the pain of an earache as well. Place a couple of drops of garlic oil in the ears which are infected. Many claim to have had much success with using garlic oil after a couple of days of use.
36. Eczema - Rub a whole nutmeg against a smooth stone slab with a little water and make a paste. Apply on affected parts.
Other home remedies for eczema:
*Try flax or borage oil internally and externally.
* Mix 1/2 a tablespoon of turmeric and half a cup of water and drink.
* Eat pesto sauce: Grind basil leaves, add olive oil, garlic and some salt and pepper.
* Dab some witch hazel with a cotton ball on the infected area several times a day.
* Mix half a teaspoon of turmeric to half a glass of water and drink.
* Squeeze basil leaves and apply on the infected area.
* Grind garlic and add the same amount of honey. Smear on the infected area, bandage and
wrap with nylon before bedtime. In the morning take off the bandage and clean with alcohol. Do not apply water.
Repeat and put on a clean bandage.
37. Fatigue - Wrong dietary habits are the primary cause of lowered vitality or lack of energy. Minerals are important. Potassium is especially needed for protection against fatigue. Raw green vegetables are rich in this mineral. Calcium is essential for relaxation and is beneficial in cases of insomnia and tension. Sodium and zinc are also beneficial in the treatment of fatigue. Jack LaLanne is absolutely telling the truth about his Power Juicer restoring energy. Raw vegetable juices, especially carrot juice, taken separately or in combination with juices of beets and cucumbers, is highly valuable in overcoming fatigue. The formula proportions considered helpful in the combination juice of 500 ml. are carrot 300 ml. and beet and cucumber 100 ml. each.
Another method for beating fatigue is to make a warm drink of two tablespoons of honey, a tablespoon of apple vinegar, and add to a glass of your favorite juice. This mixture really adds vitality to your body, cleansing it of toxins while giving you the nutrients you need for energy.
Ginseng is an age-old energy booster. This root has a sweet, licorice-like taste and has been used for thousands of years to treat weakness and exhaustion. Take 2 grams of ginseng powder a day for a six-week stint. Then take at least a two-week break before using the energizing herb again. The herb astragalus has been widely researched and found to be quite effective in enhancing immune function and thus relieving fatigue.
38. Fevers - Mix 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice and one pint of warm water. Take a wine glassful as needed. For flavor you may add 1/2 teaspoon honey. Use this remedy for mild fevers.
Remedies for reducing body temperature: Maintaining your fever, rather than breaking it right away, can fight the virus that's making you sick. If you have a mild fever (up to 100 degrees), wrap yourself in a blanket and drink a cup of yarrow tea. Make the tea by steeping 2 yarrow tea bags or 2 teaspoons dried yarrow in 1 cup boiling hot water for 15 minutes. Reheat it until it's piping hot, and sip it slowly. Your temperature may rise or fall a degree as you start to sweat. If your starting temperature is 101 to 103, drink the tea but skip the blanket. Check your temperature every 30 minutes throughout this process. Eventually your temperature will drop. If your starting temperature is 104 or more, or if the tea-drinking brings your temperature to 104 or more, call your doctor. Don't do this with babies or children, or if you're pregnant. Consult your doctor instead.
39. Flu- Here's a delicious, easy recipe for a soup that will help your flu: Sauté 6 crushed cloves of garlic in 1 tsp. vegetable oil until golden. Pour in a quart of chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and whisk in 2 egg whites. Beat together 2 egg yolks and 2 Tbls. distilled white vinegar; pour this mixture into the soup. Season with salt and pepper and top with croutons, if desired. And its not just the properties of the garlic that help your healing. Medical research shows that there's an amino acid in the chicken called cysteine which actually helps break up congestion and thin the mucus in the sick person's lungs, making it easier to cough it up. It also helps drain sinus congestion.
One tsp of bee propolis in a homeopathic solution is combined with extracts of red clover and licorice root. Ten drops of colloidal silver are added. This formula is to be gargled and then swallowed every four hours. It will get rid of the local bacterial and viral infections in the throat and trachea. Basil leaves are a digestant, and they’re also immuno-modulators that boost the immune system. Black peppercorns are antipyretics which reduce fever, and cloves contain eugenol, a molecule that acts as a local anesthetic. Ginger is an expectorant and it is an aromatic that just generally makes you feel good. The honey acts as an antibiotic, coating the stomach lining from irritants. The GLA found in evening primrose oil, borage oil and black currant oil relieves the fever and muscle soreness of the flu. It has an anti-inflammatory effect and reduces sensitivity to pain.
40. Gas/Flatuence - Chamomile helps improve digestion and aids in expelling trapped gas in the digestive tract. Make a tea by pouring one cup of boiling water over 1-2 teaspoons of the dried herb; cover; steep for fifteen minutes; strain. This remedy is excellent for babies who have colic, too. Give the baby 1/4 cup of tea diluted with an equal amount of water in a bottle before each feeding.
Chew on a small handful of anise, dill, celery or fennel seeds when you feel bloated. The compounds in these seeds relax the muscles in your digestive tract, which allows trapped gas to pass. You can buy the seeds in the spice aisle of grocery stores or the bulk section of natural food stores.
.Betaine hydrochloric acid, available at drug stores, will help digest excess food that your digestive system can't handle on its own and help relieve gas, bloating, and an upset stomach. Older people especially are low in this very necessary acid. Take 1-2 tablets with any large meal. Pancreatic enzymes will also be helpful.
41. Gout - Some people swear by eating ripe cherries. Get some natural, concentrated black cherry juice and drink several tablespoons of the concentrate daily. Expect relief in 48 hours. Alfalfa is a good source of minerals and other nutrients that help reduce serum uric acid.
Mix two teaspoons each of apple cider vinegar and raw honey in a glass of water and drink at mealtime. Soak the foot in a mixture of 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar and three cups of hot water.
Black cohosh moderates blood acidity. Blueberries are high in anti-inflammatory compounds called anthocyanins, which help ease the pain of gout. Soak a piece of white flannel in warm castor oil, wring it out and place over the affected area. Cover with plastic wrap and apply a heating pad. Do this for one hour twice daily. Saffron neutralizes uric acid buildup.
42. Hangover - When you get drunk, a lot of potassium is lost. Eat a banana to replace the lost potassium. In addition, bananas will fight nausea and replace magnesium which in turn will relieve the classic hangover headache. One may combine peanut butter, banana, and honey on a sandwich which will take care of many hangover symptoms all at once.
Eat honey on crackers while drinking fruit juice. The fructose in the honey will help to flush out the alcohol in your system.
If you are just coming in from your night of celebrations, take a full glass of water and add five tablespoons of honey. Heat this and drink it. In the morning, you can do this again, and then every two hours as your body will need the extra water. The honey will replenish your system of all the nutrients you need to get back on your feet with a clear head again.
When a hangover has you down, try eating crackers and honey while drinking fruit juice. The fructose helps remove the alcohol from your system. The best natural remedy against hangovers is to avoid drinking too much.
Before setting off to a venue where you know drink is going to be available, eat some almonds. Wise American Indians advise taking six raw almonds before alcohol intake to protect against getting drunk. Peanut butter is an African remedy, so have one of these snacks before you go get drunk.
43. Headache - It is estimated that 55 million Americans suffer from chronic headaches of one type or another. For migraine headaches, have some caffeine. A head massage or tying a handkerchief tightly around your head may help relieve the pain. Putting ice on your head, rinsing you hands in hot water, and putting heat on your neck are other ways to relieve headaches.
Eat 10-12 almonds, which is the equivalent of two aspirins in pain relief for a migraine headache. And almonds are far less likely to upset the stomach. Aloe vera is quite beneficial in allieiating headaches brought on by pollution or acidic foods.
The herb feverfew can be used to fight migraines. Valerian is used for headaches characterized by nervousness and insomnia.
Supplements that can provide support for overcoming headaches include vitamin B6 and evening primrose oil.
Rubbing your temples helps because it is a pressure point. Pinch the flesh between the bases of your thumb and index finger. This is another pressure point and massaging here can help the headache. They also help get rid of brain freeze
Dull a tension headache by massaging a few drops of peppermint essential oil into your temples. Peppermint works as well as 1,000 mg of acetaminophen according to one German study.
The herbs valerian and scullcap are often used.
44. Hiccups - This first remedy makes sense since a hiccup is a spasm of the diaphragm and you need to disrupt this spasm. Sit down and breathe in as deeply as you can. Then exhale as hard as you can. Repeat ten times. When exhaling the last time, keep the air pushed out. Don't take another breath for as long as you can stand it. This normally works the first time, but repeat if necessary.
Eat a heaping teaspoon of peanut butter all at once. Doctor Dubois' surefire sugar cure. "One cure that I find effective is a teaspoon of sugar, swallowed dry," says Andre Dubois, M.D., a gastroenterologist in Bethesda, Maryland. "That quite often stops the hiccups in minutes. The sugar is probably acting in the mouth to modify the nervous impulses that would otherwise tell the muscles in the diaphragm to contract spasmodically," he says. Parents take note: One-half teaspoon of sugar dissolved in 4 ounces of water may work wonders on baby's hiccups.
45. Hypertension - If you have high blood pressure. snack on a few stalks of celery each day. Celery contains a number of anti-inflammatory, blood pressure and cholesterol lowering compounds.
Folic acid acid and vitamin B12 assist in the reduction of homocystine, a substance linked to heart disorders. Niacin, B3, has been shown to be helpful, but it should only be taken under medical supervision.
Boil a cup of water with a teaspoon of dried bael-leaf powder. Cool and strain it and drink it three times a day. Bael-leaves can be dried, ground in a mix to a fine powder, and stored in a dry jar. The active ingredient in this powder has natural diuretic properties that helps to regulate blood volume, and hence blood pressure.
To prepare another remedy, make a paste using a teaspoon of finely ground cumin seed powder, a pinch of sandalwood powder, two tablespoons of fresh coconut water, and two tablespoons fresh milk. Mix these together, and add sugar to taste. If you wish to add more coconut water to the mixture you can do so. This should be taken in the morning for a week to 10 days. It has anti-stress, adaptogenic properties, besides being a diuretic.
46. Impotence-Erectile Dysfuncion - Propionyl-L-Carnitine - One study examined the use of two forms of carnitine, propionyl-L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine in 96 men who with erectile dysfunction after prostate surgery. One group were given a placebo, another group took propionyl-L-carnitine (2 grams per day) plus acetyl-L-carnitine (2 grams per day) and sildenafil (Viagra) when needed, and the third group used Viagra alone.
Propionyl-L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine were found to enhance the effectiveness of sildenafil, and result in improved erectile function, sexual intercourse satisfaction, orgasm, and general sexual well-being compared to Viagra alone.
Another study examined the effectiveness of propionyl-L-carnitine supplements plus sildenafil in men with erectile dysfunction and diabetes who were previously unresponsive to Viagra alone.
Participants in the study received either propionyl-L-carnitine (two grams per day) plus Viagra (50 milligrams twice a week) or Viagra alone. After 24 weeks, propionyl-L-carnitine plus Viagra was significantly more effective than Viagra alone.
47. Indigestion - When your stomach is in a knot, drink a mug of chamomile tea. The essential oils in this herb ease muscle spasms in your gastrointestinal tract and may also decrease your body's production of pepsin, a digestive enzyme that exacerbates indigestion. Steep 1 to 2 teaspoons of the dried flowers in boiling hot water for 20 minutes, strain, and sip slowly. Heat a coffee cupful of water in the microwave (about 30-45 seconds) (or you can use hot tap water) - stir in a teaspoon of baking soda. Take a deep breath and after exhaling, chug the entire cupful down as quickly as you can. If done right, you will give a gigantic burp, usually a long, drawn-out one, and it will be over.
Mint water, lemon juice, and cider vinegar before a meal may prevent indigestion. Ginger tea after a meal can help your body digest your food, too. The valuable phytochemicals in aloe vera can help indigestion. Fennel as a tea or just chewing the seeds is quite helpful.
48. Insect bites - For all insect bites, first clean with soap and water. Relieve the itch from bug bites with an onion. The sulfur in onions neutralizes the chemicals that cause the itch. Simply slice a yellow onion in half and rub one of the cut sides on the bite. The itching should stop immediately
Mosquito Bites: Mix one teaspoon baking soda in one glass of water and rub the solution with a cloth over the bite for 15 to 20 minutes. A mixture of pure olive oil and vinegar also helps in relieving the mosquito bite problem.
* Apply clear nail polish on the bites. It provides quick relief.
* Vicks VapoRub is effective. The petroleum chokes the chigger and methanol helps in relieving
* The mixture of camphor and phenol in mineral spirits is good.
49. Insomnia - One of the safest, most effective sleep aids available is melatonin. It is a natural chemical produced by our bodies in response to changes in light. A natural sleep inducer, a tablespoon or two of honey at bedtime does the trick for lots of people.
There are several effective herbs. One of the best is valerian. You can take capsules, liquid or tea (usually
available at drugstores). Other sleep-inducing herbs are kava-kava, passionflower, scullcap and chamomile.
Take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and add it to a full cup of honey. Take two tablespoons of this mixture whenever you are having trouble falling asleep. Store the mixture in a container that does not allow air in.
Take two teaspoons of fenugreek leaf juice and mix it with one teaspoon of honey. Take this when you are about to go to bed every day.
50. Leg Cramps - According to the book, "Best Choices from the People's Pharmacy", a home remedy that makes no scientific sense but is guaranteed to work is to take a bar of soap--any soap except Dove or Dial--unwrap it and stick it under the bottom sheet where your calves would be. Replace the bar of soap at end of every month.
Chamomile tea contains glycine, and amino acid that relaxes the muscles. Drink five cups (1.2 liters) daily for two weeks to relieve muscle cramps. Honey can prevent recurring foot and leg cramps during the night. Regularly take two teaspoons (10 ml) of honey with meals. Mustard and pickle juice have acetic acid, which helps produce acetylcholine, a stimulant for your leg muscles. Take a spoonful (15 ml) of mustard or a few ounces (grams) of pickle juice to prevent leg cramps. Apple cider vinegar is rich in potassium. Mix one teaspoon (5 ml) of honey and two teaspoons (10 ml) of vinegar in a glass of warm water and drink this mixture.
51. Morning Sickness - Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep up blood sugar levels and avoid morning sickness. Take a high-dose B-complex vitamin with at least 100 mg of B-6. The traditional fix for nausea and upset stomach has been cola syrup. For adults take 1-2 tablespoons every 15 minutes until the symptoms subside (no more than six doses in a 24 hour period). For children's nausea it's 1-2 teaspoons.
Chew a piece of ginger. Take two to four ginger root capsules (500 mg each) or take 1/2 - 1 teas. powdered ginger in some juice three times daily. Make a tea by mixing 1 teaspoon fresh ginger juice and 1 teaspoon honey in a cup of boiling water. Drink as needed. You can sip it in tea or hot chocolate. Eat gingersnaps, or take a capsule of ginger. Red raspberry leaf tea helps relieve morning sickness. Eating some crackers will help relieve morning sickness.
52. Nausea/Stomach Problems: : Boil 1/2 cup of rice in 1 cup of water for about 10-20 minutes. After it is boiled, drain the water into a cup and sip at the rice water until symptoms are gone. A simple cure for a stomach ache is to dissolve 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon in 1 cup warm water, cover and let sit for 15 minutes. Then drink it like tea.
* Sucking a piece of ice controls vomiting.
* Eat 1/2 tsp. ground cumin seeds.
* Cinnamon and sliced ginger work by interrupting nausea signals sent from the stomach to the brain. If you are an herbal tea drinker, simply sprinkle cinnamon on the tea and drink. To make ginger tea, simmer a few slices of ginger in hot tea water.
*If you're feeling nauseous grab a can of ginger-ale. An active ingredient called gingerol is actually more effective than an over the counter drug. Drink two to three cups a day when feeling nausea.
*Do you have minor stomach or sinus problems? Try honey and vinegar. Simply mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a tablespoon of honey, and mix it with one cup of ice-cold apple juice. This concoction tastes like delicious apple cider, and it will help alleviate minor sinus and stomach ailments.
53. Nosebleeds - Halt a mild nosebleed in minutes with this simple, strange trick. Tear a piece of brown paper from a grocery bag, place it inside your mouth between your top lip and your gum, and leave it there until your nose stops bleeding.
Sip 1/8-1 tsp cayenne stirred into warm water. This works because the cayenne travels through the entire circulatory system and regulates the pressure thereby taking pressure off the hemorrhaging area and aiding quick coagulation. Cayenne pepper is noted for its ability to stop both internal and external bleeding very quickly. Although it may sting, you can also put some cayenne inside the nose.
Herbalists suggest using wild alum root powder. This powerful astringent will stop the bleeding immediately.
Apple cider vinegar is useful in getting a nosebleed to stop. Apple cider vinegar safeguards the body from loss of blood. Soak a small cotton ball in the vinegar and pack it lightly into the nostril. The vinegar will help the blood to congeal.
* Mix 3 tsp. lime juice, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. honey, and 1 cup water. Drink a glass a day for 3 months.
* Effective at getting rid of fat: Drink up to 3 cups of green tea daily. Regular tea can also be used with a lesser effect.
* Take half lemon in hot water daily empty stomach in the morning.
*Chromium picolinate helps stabilize blood sugar levels so there is less of a craving for sweets. It also helps to increase lean body mass and boost energy. It reduces insulin resistance, which in turn decreases the storage of adipose (fatty) tissue and increases its metabolism. Between 200 and 400 mcg of the chelated form is preferred, as it is more easily absorbed into the intestinal tract.
*Lecithin helps emulsify fat. Take one tablespoon in the morning with breakfast.
*About 300 mg. daily of potassium, taken in divided doses, will increase energy and muscle strenth.
55.Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) - . A remedy for sore breasts due to water retention is to take 1.300 mg. calcium proportioned with magnesium supplements. Studies have shown that women who suffer from tender, painful breasts may have a deficiency in these two minerals.
Chamomile and dandelion are both natural diuretics that can help you accomplish this. You can take chamomile by drinking it in a tea, or by taking it in capsule or liquid form.
It should be no surprise that an herb named cramp bark (Viburnum opulus) would work wonders for menstrual pain. It contains at least six compounds that relax muscles, as well as salicin, the pain-relieving compound from which aspirin is derived. Take 1 teaspoon of the liquid extract every hour until your cramps subside. If they don't ease within 48 hours, stop taking cramp bark.
Dandelion- yes, it's the same yellow-flowered plant that takes over your yard every summer- can be taken in tea or in capsule form. If you like to eat dandelion leaves, you can even get your daily dose of the plant that way. Just drinking two cups of dandelion tea every day can help ease your bloating and water retention. It can effectively relieve the pain and tenderness of sore breasts.
Another long used herb for female complaints is dong quai.
56. Sore Throat - Mix 1 tsp. lime juice and 1 Tbls. honey. Swallow tiny amounts slowly 2-3 times a day. Gargling warm salt water will help break up mucus and increase blood flow to the throat, bringing antibodies along. Slowly allowing honey to slide down your throat can soothe that scratchy, burning feeling. Do this periodically throughout the day, and it will bring you nearly as much relief as any throat spray--with a much better taste. Gargle with aloe vera juice two times daily.
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) According to Dr. Jarvis in his classic Folk Medicine, the remedy to use to get rid of a sore throat is to gargle with ACV. The acidity should kill the bacteria on contact. Mix one teaspoon to 2 tablespoons in a glass of water. You can mix it as strong as you can stand it. Gargle one mouthful every hour, swallowing afterward. Repeat twice each time. This treatment can cure a streptococcic sore throat in 24 hours. The acid in the ACV is very helpful in soothing and minimizing the sore throat, and, if you swallow it, the extra potassium is also beneficial. Note: After using this remedy be sure to rinse your mouth with water to prevent the acid from eroding the enamel on your teeth.
57. Toothache - Tea Tree Oil: Use cotton tip to apply tea tree oil to effective teeth area. It is not good to taste, but helps in easing the toothache pain.
*Numb a throbbing tooth with clove essential oil (Syzygium aromaticum). The aromatic chemical in clove called eugenol anesthetizes pain and kills bacteria. To apply it, soak a cotton ball or swab with the oil and use it to wipe your sore gums and tooth. Repeat this four to five times a day.
*Get fresh peppermint (approximately 5 grams). Add it in one cup of water and boil it. Add half tablespoon of salt. Make the water lukewarm and drink it. When ingested, this solution acts as painkiller and can eradicate other pains like headaches.
* Get a chilled cucumber and cut it into thicker slices. Hold these pieces on and around the tooth that is hurting and it will start working to give a soothing effect.
*Get a cotton ball and put some real vanilla extract on it. Apply it on the inflamed location and you will find that it numbs.
*Make a paste of garlic and add some rock salt to it and apply to tooth. Make a tea by boiling 1 Tbls. fresh peppermint in 1 cup water and adding a little salt. Peppermint is an antiseptic and contains menthol, which relieves pain when applied to skin surfaces.
58. Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) - Drink cranberry or blueberry juice when you feel a UTI coming on. Both contain compounds that fight the infection by preventing troublesome bacteria from adhering to the walls of your urinary tract. Down one to two 8-ounce glasses of 100 percent cranberry or blueberry juice daily until the infection disappears. Or take 2.5 g of cranberry extract capsules (Vaccinium macrocarpum) twice a day with meals. If you still have symptoms after two days, or if your symptoms worsen, see your doctor.
*Vitamin C will intensify the acidity of the urine and aid in the expulsion of infectious bacteria
*During acute attacks, a daily dosage of 50 mg zinc can assist the body in white blood cell production and the elimination of bacteria.
* Drink fresh onion juice. Boil 3 onions in 5 cups of water for 20 minutes. Drink 2 cups, 3-4 sips each time.
* To increase urine, eat an uncooked potato with no salt.
* Eat a lot of celery.
* Goldenseal is good for bladder infections if there is bleeding. It is most effective as an herbal antimicrobial agent.
* Eat garlic or take 2 capsules 3X daily. It is a natural antibiotic and immune enhancer.
* Eat grapefruits to help with the inflammation.
* Boil parsley in water, strain and drink the water. Parsley and goldenrod are diuretics.
* Drink 2-3 glasses of pomegranate juice every day.
* Drink a lot of water all day long.
* Eat yogurt daily to restore the "friendly" bacteria.
*Colloidal silver, as directed on label, is a natural antibiotic. It destroys bacteria, viruses and fungi. It promotes healing.
*Sitz baths and hot compresses enhance blood flow allowing for removal of hazardous waste.
59. Warts - Rub the inside of a banana peel on warts.
*Apply some of a fig stem's white liquid on the wart.
*Smear castor oil on the wart.
*Put banana leaves on the wart and bandage. Repeat every night before you go to bed.
* Mix 50gr of turmeric to 3 teaspoons of olive oil, smear on the wart (colors the skin).
EXTERNAL USE ONLY: Freshly-squeezed garlic oil or castor oil.
*Gently rub the wart with your finger for 15 seconds at the same time each day. Rubbing the wart stimulates blood flow to the area and prompts your immune system to fight the wart virus. Doing this at the same time every day trains your immune system to kick in on its own.
A poultice of flaxseed oil is a good warts remedy. Mix ground flaxseeds with flaxseed oil and a small quantity of raw honey. Apply it on the wart. Change the poultice every day.
Crush a clove garlic and place it on the area with wart and cover it with bandage. Applying fresh cut pineapple on the affected area several times in day will remove the wart in 2-3 days.
Pick a dandelion weed and squeeze white milky juice from it in a container. Put this white juice on the warts for warts removal. Do this once or twice a day.
Coating the area with camphor oil several times will remove the wart in a few days.
Application of tea tree oil to the area for 7-10 days will melt the wart.
60.Wounds and Cuts - The antioxidant power that makes vitamin E so good for your heart also speeds the healing of minor cuts. Simply prick a vitamin E capsule with a sterile needle and squeeze the oil onto your cut at least three times a day. Cover it with a Band-Aid if it's a serious wound. Be sure to choose natural vitamin E (d-alpha tocopherol). Research shows that it has more antioxidant power than synthetic vitamin E.
Apply some pure aloe vera to the affected spot. Aloe is an anti-inflammatory, and it helps to fight bacteria. This could be purchased at a health food or drug store: or, it could be extracted from an aloe plant. Wherever you decide to get the aloe, just make sure it is one hundred percent natural with nothing else added to it. This cannot be stressed enough because if anything is added, it will cause it not to work properly. Pure aloe not only cleanses the abrasion, it is also a soothing agent, which makes it one of the best of the home remedies for treating abrasions.
For internal bleeding take one tablespoon of cayenne pepper in a cup of water to stop the bleeding. Cayenne can also be placed directly on an external cut to stop bleeding. You may completely pack the wound if you have enough pepper. Black pepper may be used if cayenne is not available. This remedy does not sting like you might imagine, and is very important for emergencies.
Applying plastic wrap to the skin for three to seven minutes will help clotting, and won't take off the scab when it is removed.
Sugar is an excellent disinfectant. For open wounds or skin ulcerations, sprinkle on granulated sugar to help kill bacteria and speed healing. Smear a ring of petroleum jelly around the edges of the wound to hold the sugar in place, then put a little sugar directly on the wound. Cover the wound with a bandage. Change the bandage once or twice a day.
Apply a moistened tea bag to the cut to soothe and stop the bleeding.
Derived from the leaves of the native Australian Melaleuca alternifolia tree, tea tree oil contains antiseptic compounds that make it a powerful disinfectant. Use a 10% solution (about 1½ tablespoons to a cup of warm water) to rinse and cleanse wounds.
Honey contains an antimicrobial, and after a minor wound has been properly cleaned, a little honey can help prevent infection. Simply spread a thin layer of honey over a light abrasion or minor cut. Honey aides in healing, and this natural medication provided by nature helps keep wounds free from bacteria.
For minor wounds and burns grab the honey from your cabinet. There is a combination of sugars and antibacterial components in honey that actually kills germs. The thickness of honey when applied to the skin will act as a barrier that protects the wounded area. Antioxidants will also help prevent any damaging inflammation. Try to look at your local grocery store or farmers market for raw honey, it is more potent and has stronger antibacterial properties than processed honey.