Invisalign Vs Braces
Invisalign Vs Braces : What are the Differences and Costs?
In the past many of my patients avoided correcting crooked teeth as they were afraid that having braces would lead to pain, embarrassment, and social judgement. I didn't really blame them because they're has often been a stigma associated with braces on adults that make them appear childish. I was never one to judge, as I had braces myself, but I was very pleased when I first started being able to offer Invisalign to my patients. In this article I will go over what Invisalign is, how it is different from braces, and other questions that I have been asked from my patients. If you have any questions yourself please feel free to drop me a line or ask it in the widget below.
Pros of Invisalign versus Braces
Here we review the pros of Invisalign vs. traditional braces
- Cleaning your teeth is much easier with Invisalign compared to traditional braces because you can literally just take out your Invisalign retainer and continue with your normal flossing and brushing. With traditional braces cleaning can be a pain and require some special tools to get in between the braces and your teeth.
- One of the main benefits that people like about Invisalign is that they are far less noticeable. I won't say that no one will ever notice if they are standing close to you but from a distance your teeth look normal. As with brushing if you do have an important meeting or date that you want to look your absolute best then simply take them out. However, the more you take them out the less they are working so save this for REALLY special occasions. Of course we all know that even the new clear braces can be easily detected but they have also come a long way.
- Eating the foods you want! This is one that many people don't realize when they get traditional braces. If you have braces you should really watch what you are eating as some types of foods get stuck in your teeth and others can actually break your braces. With Invisalign you can simply take your retainer out and eat whatever you want. Now things like candy and soda should still be taking in moderation!
- This is not always 100% of the case but most people will spend less time in the dentist chair with Invisalign vs. traditional braces. Since there is no tightening or adjustments of the retainer then most people will spend much less time at their dentist. You'll still need to come in for visit to see how your teeth are doing and of course get your regular checkups!
- This benefit is formed from things I’ve read around the internet but some people actual achieve weight loss through Invisalign. I know sounds crazy doesn't it? The reason is that you need to remove Invisalign before you eat or snack and then afterword’s you need to floss/brush and put them back in. So when people go to snack they need to think a little about whether they are really hungry as they will have to go through the whole process. I've never heard this directly but it does make sense.
- Ability to see how your teeth will change throughout the process. This is done by Invisalign 3-D modelling which allows you to see the progression and end result of your treatment.
Cons of Invisalign versus Traditional Braces - There are some cons to Invisalign
- A lot of the cons depend on the process you need. Sometimes Invisalign can be more costly than traditional braces. This will depend on what is needed as well as the dental office you are visiting. Before starting the procedure ask your dentist what the difference in price will be. Sometimes Invisalign can actually be cheaper so ask questions.
- One of the pros can also be a con. This is that you need to remove Invisalign every time you going to eat. After you eat you then need to floss/brush your teeth before putting your aligner back in. People can find this to be a problem and sometimes leave their retainers out for extended periods which can hamper how long the treatment takes.
- One con is that Invisalign cannot be used for all types of teeth correction. This is something that your dentist can discuss with you but be aware that you may not be a candidate for Invisalign. The good news is that most teeth correction can happen with Invisalign but extensive correction will take longer with more aligners.
- Discomfort is a factor with Invisalign but usually it is better than with traditional braces. Certainly with Invisalign you will never be cutting your lips but your gums may be sensitive.
- Removal of Invisalign can sometimes be difficult but this can be helped by the Invisalign removal tool.
Patient Review Of Invisalign
I found this review and she does a great job describing her experience with Invisalign braces.
Video From The Creators Of Invisalign
Obviously a little biased as it was made by Invisalign but give a little extra information.
Would you like Braces or Invisalign
What sounds better Invisalign or Traditional Braces?
A few products that help with Invisalign
Some Helpful Links On Invisalign
- Official Invisalign Homepage
This is the official invisalign homepage where you can find more information on the treatment.
- My Site's Page On Invisalign
This is my practice. If you are in the Vancouver, BC area then please book an appointment and I can go over whether Invisalign is right for you.
- Lots Of Reviews on Invisalign
Here you can find lots of reviews on what patients liked or disliked about Invisalign.
Let me know if you have any questions and i'll do my best to answer them