- Diet & Weight Loss
Low Carbohydrate, High Protein Diet - My Golden Rules For Success
20 Golden Rules
What follows are the simple, golden rules I followed when I began my quest to reduce my body fat. I've split the rules into two parts, the fat reduction phase and the maintenance phase. The rules are simple to follow, but they do work.
Rules Before You Begin
- Do not begin dieting unless you are physically well. Consult your doctor if in doubt.
- Let your bodies hormones do the work for you. Your body will automatically reduce your excess body fat to a safe and healthy level that is right for you.
- Only consume high-quality protein, essential fats, vitamins and minerals, i.e. no "junk foods".
- Do not count success by weight loss. Pinch yourself. How much fat can you grab. As the fat reduces, that's the measure of success.
Rules For The Fat Reduction Phase
The aim of this phase is to lose the fat. You can expect to lose a couple of kilograms or more per week depending upon your current status.
- Never consume more than 50 grams of carbohydrates per day.
- Never consume less than 15 grams of carbohydrates per day.
- Drink at least 1.5 litres of water per day.
- Drink a cup of water, about 250 ml, before each meal.
- Exercise for at least 15 minutes twice a day. Jump up and down, dance to some music, try some yoga or general fitness exercises, anything really. Just get your body moving. Don't be surprised if your weight increases. Muscle weighs lots more than fat.
- No milk (cow or goat), cereals, pulses, grains, biscuits, cakes, bread, chocolate, pasta, rice, potatoes, sugar, refined pre-packed foods etc. Nothing with high carbohydrates.
- No fruits of any type, including juices. Although fruits are excellent sources of vitamins, minerals and fibre they have too much natural sugar and will trigger your insulin response.
- Consume one multi-vitamin tablet (no iron) per day.
- No soft drinks containing sugars or caffeine (water is better).
- No alcoholic drinks. If you must then wine or spirits (water is better).
- No coffee. You can drink tea with Soya milk (green tea is better).
- Eat as much protein as you like, but don't make a pig of yourself.
- Don't go hungry. If you feel hungry between meals try eating some cheese or an egg. I recommend having several boiled eggs and cheese ready in the refrigerator.
- Eat plenty of green vegetables.
- Eat plenty of the "good" fats found in cheeses, butter, cream, eggs, olive oil, etc. but watch your cholesterol level if you're on the fat reduction phase for any length of time.
Rules For The Maintenance Phase
The aim of this phase is to gradually reintroduce all the produce you like.
- Consume up to 60 grams of carbohydrates per day initially. This limit can be increased gradually. When you start to put the fat back on, that's your limit for carbohydrates.
- Start introducing fruits and fruit juices into your diet.
- Start introducing wholemeal varieties of bread, pasta and rice.
- Start introducing milk, cereals, pulses and grains into your diet again.
- Start introducing everything else.
Oops I Slipped!
Once on the maintenance phase if you do "binge" and put the fat back on, just drop back into the fat reduction phase for a few days to correct the problem.
This is a time when saying, "I'm a shadow of what I once was", is not a bad thing. The diet works. Live long and prosper.