How to Make Your Own Simple ORS (Oral Rehydration Solution)
What Is ORS and Can You Make It at Home?
ORS means an oral rehydration solution. It is taken when your body is dehydrated due to vomiting or diarrhea.
ORS should be taken as often as possible when your body is dehydrated. You can make your own ORS in the comfort of your own home. This is pretty simple and should be given as much as possible in case of dehydration.
This page gives you all the information you need to prepare your very own ORS solution in a matter of minutes.
How to Make ORS
Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS) can be prepared in a simple way in your own home. Here's how you can make it...
Things You Will Need to Prepare Your Own ORS Solution
The following materials are needed in order to make your own ORS solution -
- Salt (One Teaspoon)
- Sugar (8 Teaspoons)
- One liter of clean drinking or boiled water - cooled (5 cupfuls). Each cup should be around 200 ml.
Instructions on How to Make Your Own ORS
The following steps should be carried out while making your own ORS solution -
- Stir the ingredients mentioned till the sugar and salt dissolves completely.
- Store the solution in a clean dry place.
This solution should be given as much as possible and should be continued till the dehydration stops.
You Might Also Try These in Case of Dehydration:
- You can try giving the dehydrated person some rice water with salt and lemon juice.
- You can also try giving 'dal' water (the water in much dal has been boiled) with salt and lemon juice.
- Sugar and salt added to lemon juice.
- Lassi (yogurt drink)
- Green coconut water.
As you can see, lemon juice is quite effective when it comes to treating dehydration!
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
© 2011 Kalpana Iyer