- Alternative & Natural Medicine»
Kiss your Headaches Goodbye
Tension headaches and migraine headaches can be agonizing. Dull, steady, relentless stress headaches and sharp, throbbing, pounding migraine headaches can be handled almost instantaneously using specific aroma oils.
Essential Oils to Treat Headaches and Migraines
Aromatherapy Oils Soothe Headaches
Essential oils that soothe and calm one down are effective in the management of headaches. The oils pacify stressed nerves, ease tension in the muscles, lessen pain and drive out worry, tension and disquiet.
Experts recommend lavender, peppermint and marjoram essential oils to relieve a headache. These oils quiet frayed nerves, fight stress and instill tranquility and stillness.
Lavender essential oil
Lavender is by far the most popularly used and versatile essential oil. It balances and normalizes the body functions. The oil is soothing, calming and relaxing. It successfully battles stress, anxiety and apprehension and suffuses feelings of harmony and peace. The oil facilitates meditation and quietness.
Peppermint essential oil
Psychologically, the peppermint essential oil is bold, self-assuring and promotes clarity and alertness. It is an important nervine (nerve tonic) and an anti-spasmodic.
Marjoram essential oil
Marjoram is often called "the great comforter" and helps ease pain on all levels. It is warming and comforting. It gives solace to emotions. Marjoram eases stress and nervous tension almost immediately. However, the essential oil should not be used for prolonged periods of time, since it tends to dull the senses.
How To Use Essential Oils to Banish Headaches
Essential oils can be used in countless ways to affect cure. To relieve headaches, use the above mentioned aroma oils, in the following manner:
- Essential oil cold compresses work well for headaches. Lavender oil blends well with peppermint oil. Make a cold compress using the two oils and apply to the temples, back of the head and the nape of the neck. Lie down in a dark room. It quickly eases the pain.
- Massaging the neck with marjoram essential oil is decidedly effectual. A neck massage loosens up tight muscles and stressed nerves, thus assuaging the headache.
- A couple of drops of lavender oil rubbed directly in to the temples afford relief.
- Adding one of these essential oils in the bath affords wonderful health benefits and prevents migraine attacks.
Since headaches are almost always stress-triggered, it would be advisable to address that issue as well. Learning how to relax, unwind and de-stress is very crucial. Acupuncture, acupressure, yoga, meditation, Tai-chi, Chakra balancing and herbal remedies combat nervous tension, help deal with stressful conditions and leave one feeling rejuvenated and refreshed.