Natural Treatment for Atopic Dermatitis - Home Remedy for Eczema
Can Atopic Dermatitis Be Treated?
A large number of people suffer from atopic dermatitis, or eczema as it is also called, and see no hope in curing this condition. Despite the common believe that atopic dermatitis cannot be cured, the truth is that it is manageable. In fact eczema, as it is popularly called, is a lifestyle condition, which means that with some adjustments in our daily routine we can diminish it at first, and even cure it. Although the causes of atopic dermatitis are not fully understood, there is a lot of information on how can be managed.
Presently, the modern medicine's approach is the use of corticosteroids to reduce the skin's inflammation. Although effective, this is safe only for short term use, the prolonged use of steroids leading to serious side effects, especially for children. However, for very serious eczema problems, corticosteroids might be the only solution for long and short term, talk to your doctor about it.
How To Manage Eczema
Eczema Moisturizing Routine
Bathing, or showering is a great way to add some water to your skin. A daily shower or bath, feels absolutely great. There are a few tricks you need to know about the shower routine to work perfectly:
- Use lukewarm water. Avoid hot water at all costs, it is bad for dry skin, because it strips the skin off of its much needed sebum, and by opening the pores too much will allow skin to dehydrate.
- Do not stay too long in your bath, taking long showers will also allow to remove too much sebum.
- Do not use strong soaps or shampoos, use mild cleansers to avoid loss of natural skin oils.
- Apply a moisturiser immediately after shower. The moisturizer actually will not add moisture to your skin, but will form a barrier to retain the water into your skin. If you wait more than a few minutes before applying a cream, the skin starts to dry.
- Use a good moisturizer, a too light one will just let the water evaporate. Thick creams and ointments are more effective. Ceramide moisturizers are also a great choice, and even the lighter formulas as lotions will work perfectly.
- During winter, or in dry places, use a room humidifier, it really makes a difference.
- During outbreaks use medicated creams to keep the skin under control. Hydrocortisone creams are generally available over the counter, but avoid prolonged use. Your doctor might prescribe you corticosteroids to manage bad outbreaks. If the itching is unbearable, antihistamines, like Benadryl, are good for taking the edge off, and let you sleep.
- Avoid stress as this will make your eczema worse.
Cerave Cerave Moisturizing Lotion - Best Moisturizing Cream for Eczema
Cerave Moisturizing Lotion is a ceramides lotion, with a luxurious feel, without any unnecessary additives. It is very light, it gets absorbed very easily by the skin, but provide a long lasting moisturization at the same time. Many average moisturizers, that aspire to compete with Cerave, will feel as light as Cerave, and will get absorbed as fast in the skin, however, the moisture retention properties will not be the same. In fact, some of these contenders can do more damage to your skin, because they provide a short term moisturization for your skin, but after 30 minutes the skin gets even more dry than before the cream application.Cerave is a product recommended by dermatologists, and is proven with scientific evidence to work. I used both the cream and the lotion for myself and for my kids and myself for many years now, and it is my personal favorite moisturizer.If you don't believe me, check the Amazon reviews to see what other people say about it.
A Good Moisturizer, Key to Managing Dermatitis
Homemade Eczema Moisturizer Recipe
As pointed before, a good moisturizer is the key for protecting the eczema affected areas. The moisturizer has two roles when applied, to form a barrier to lock in the water in the affected areas, and to repair the skin. Most good moisturizers only deal with locking in the moist, and leave the skin regeneration to happen naturally. However if you add a few drops of tea tree to your preferred moisturizer, you will get great results. See here a comparison between the best moisturisers on the market.If you are up for a challenge, here is my recipe for a homemade eczema moisturizer:The measurements are percentage of the volume:5% MSM, 25% water, 30% Shea butter, 5% cold pressed olive oil, 20% coconut oil, 10% jojoba oil, 3-5% of natural emulsifying wax, then count all the volume, and add 10 drops of carrot seed essential oil and 10 drops of tea tree oil for each 1 fl. oz of the above base. You will have to heat all the base oils in a double boiler, constantly stirring. When all is melted and the mix is homogeneous, turn off the heat, and continue stirring. Add the essential oils when the base has cooled off. Adding the essential oils too early, when the base oils a still hot, will destroy the essential oils. This moisturizer is not for babies, the use of essential oils is contraindicated for children under 3 years old, and caution is recommended for use after three.
What Is Atopic Dermatitis
What Causes Atopic Dermatitis?
Atopic Dermatitis is an allergic skin disorder, also called eczema, it is more common in children, although many adults have it, and it is an inflammation of the skin, with dry and itchy skin, and rashes, especially on the face, behind the knees, and inside the elbows.The causes and the mechanisms of atopic dermatitis are not fully understood, and in fact there are a few known triggers for it. It is in fact caused by both internal and external causes.
Although genetics play a role, it is not sufficient to have the culprit genes to have the condition. This increases the risks dramatically, but there are other factors that contribute to the onset.
The external causes of eczema are infections with fungi, or mites.GeneticsEczema can be triggered by many factors, and. Although not confirmed exhaustively, there is evidence that eczema is passed on genetically. In families where both of the parents have eczema, there is a chance of 80% that the children develop it as well. In cases with only one parent suffering of atopic dermatitis, the chances are 60%.
The most important fact is to know that in most children's case, eczema is an allergy symptom, it is a food allergy symptom and if you know what is the allergen, you can avoid eczema breakouts. More about this, later in the page. There is enough evidence to link infantile eczema to food allergies.
Dermatitis on head and neck, is many times the cause of infection with the fungus Malassezia furfur. Malassezia furfur feeds on the fat produced by the skin. Although it is not an atopic dermatitis, it can be cured at home, with antimycotics.
Demodex Mites Infection
Demodex Dermatitis, has been proposed as a specific condition caused by the Demodex mites. Although classified as Demodex dermatitis, it is worth mentioning, since it can be easily mistaken as an atopic one. Usually, it is accompanied by itching and acne.
Ctip2 gives researchers hope in curing eczema
Recent discoveries at the Oregon State University, show that the underlying problem of eczema is the improper activity of the Ctip2, a protein that controls the fat balance in skin, and also controls the TSLP production. Fat is essential for maintaining a perfect moisture balance in skin, and TSLP, another protein that triggers inflammatory response in skin.Here is the entire article published on plosone.org: Ctip2/Bcl11b and Atopic Dermatitis
Researches believe that eczema could be caused by Zinc deficiency, which in turn creates an imbalance in the immunity system. There is no definite evidence to support the Zinc's role in eczema treatment, but safely supplementing your diet with Zinc can only benefit you.
Nutiva Hempseed Oil - Source of GLA - Eczema Causes - Not Enough GLA?
This organic hemp seeds oil, is a great tasting oil that can be added to any salads, dressings, dips, or any recipe. It is an oil obtained by pressing the hemp seeds, and it doesn't contain any THC.
The hemp seeds oil is a miracle in a bottle, containing omega-3 fatty acids and Gamma Linoleic Acids, (GLA). In many cases a deficiency of GLA in our body, can lead to eczema. Cooking with hemp seed oil is one of the easiest ways to supplement yourself with gamma linoleic acids.
How To Manage Atopic Dermatitis
Home Remedies to Manage Dermatitis
I wish I could say "This natural tea is your remedy for dermatitis. Take this for two months and you will be eczema free." Unfortunately, the things are not so simple, but the good news is that you can cure it. There are a few fronts that you can act on, and any of these actions will diminish the eczema.
- Find the allergen that causes the reaction. Take an allergy test and you will find it. For children, this could be virtually any known allergen, so a test is the easiest. For adults that are not aware of any food allergies, this could be very likely dairy products, and eggs, (more precisely egg whites). Once the allergen found, remove it from your diet.
- Although they are not on the list of food allergens coffee and chocolate, among other foods, can worsen the eczema. A Japanese scientific team has published the results of their research here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12692374
- Most likely, if you are allergic to one food, you may be slightly allergic to other foods. Make sure you are getting enough vitamin B in your diet. Vitamin B helps digestion and break up protein in the digestion process. If you take supplements, make sure they are a good quality, otherwise they won't help. The most important ones are B3, (Niacin), helps digestion, B6, (Pyridoxine), and B7, (Biotin). Biotin, (B7), is important in the metabolism of protein, and ensures a healthy skin. Pyridoxine, (B6), is essential for the metabolism of proteins, and supports the immune system.
- Probiotics are effective in combating eczema, especially the strain Lactobacillus rhamnosus. The researchers in Finland, have conducted a study over a few years, and have concluded that Probiotics decrease the incidence. Take Probiotics that contain this strain, (Lactobacillus rhamnosus). Here is a link to the abstract of the publication: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23594506 Here is a list of probiotic supplements with the most known probiotics in North America, and the strains in their composition. It's easy to see which one contains L. rhamnosus, but there are many other probiotics that are effective in fighting eczema, there just isn't enough research.
- Avoid hot baths and hot showers. Hot water will only worsen the symptoms of dermatitis, so when showering or taking a bath, set your water to lukewarm rather.
- Avoid sugars. Although studies have shown the contrary, (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11720177), many people think that sugar worsens eczema. Take this with a grain of salt. Sugar is bad for your body anyway, keep it low.
- Avoid stress, although stress is not the cause of eczema, it can aggravate it. Also frustration and anger can aggravate it.
- Use a good moisturizer for your skin, and apply it liberally on the problem site. Good moisturizers, created for eczema management, are compared on this page: The Best Moisturizers
- Wash your affected zone with vinegarI know vinegar being proposed as a cure all folk medicine sounds just "too simple to be true", and if this worked why is not talked more about it. The fact is, that it doesn't work for everybody, but if it does for you, you will regret you didn't try it earlier. Vinegar works in two possible ways to treat your dermatitis: if it's atopic eczema, it will help you maintain a balanced ph to counter the strong alkalinity of soap, if it's demodex infection, it's just a source of prebiotics for the good bacteria, and by slightly increasing the ph you make a rough environment for the mites.
- Sea buckthorn as a nutritional supplementThis is pretty amazing, and you'll regret you didn't try it earlier. Although is not for young kids, since the amazing berry is not recommended for kids younger than 7, it is amazing for older kids and adults. Make a cure of two rounded seaberry tsp daily for two months. You will get results within the first week or two, although you need to take it for two months for long term results. You can repeat the cure every year, preventively, or for more stubborn eczema repeat the treatment twice per year at first. Read more about the healing properties of sea-buckthorn.
Retain Skin Moisture Tips Video
Atopic Dermatitis Diet
Foods To Avoid And Foods To Have when You have Eczema
Atopic dermatitis can be many times the result of food allergies. The allergen will trigger an immune reaction, which in turn will lead to skin inflammation. Many times the sufferers don't even know they are allergic to the food, and this is part of the problem. They continue to eat it, and constantly irritate the skin. The allergens that are most often associated with atopic dermatitis are eggs, peanuts, milk, soy, gluten, and seafood. As you notice, all these are foods with high content of protein.There are speculations that eczema is a condition caused by metabolic and digestion problems, and there is some evidence to support that. In some cases dermatitis is linked to a poor liver function, in other cases is linked to deficiencies of Vitamin B, or the inability to convert linoleic acid to gamma-linolenic acid. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10617999If you are seeing a dermatologist, you are probably taken care of, and you will probably find the reason of your eczema, and once that found, you will try to correct it accordingly. However, if you are like me, and don't have a dermatologist to help you pinpoint the root cause of your problem, you can find it by yourself. Here is a plan on how to approach this for the fastest results:
- Stop eating all the above allergens, and replace them with other sources of protein. A great source of proteins is meat. Other great sources of protein, and more information on proteins in foods can be found on this page: http://www.squidoo.com/nut-free-vegan-diet-balancing-a-diet-with-protein-and-fat
- If your atopic dermatitis is caused by intolerance to one of the foods you have eliminated, in one to four weeks you should see major improvements. If you don't see any improvements in four weeks, that's not your underlying cause.If you see improvements, continue the diet another month to make sure it is not just a coincidence.
- After the two months start introducing the eliminated foods one at a time, every two weeks. If eczema flares back up, you know what caused it. After an outbreak due to a new food, you have to wait another two - three weeks for your skin to get eczema free, until you try the next food.
- Once confirmed that the above list of food allergens is the cause of your dermatitis, you should probably be very cautious with all of the known protein allergens. Even if you are more sensitive to a certain food, all of the others are likely to contribute to an immune response. An when you eat them together in large quantities, they might have a synergic effect and trigger an allergic reaction.
- Take good Probiotics as supplements. The most efficient Probiotics for dermatitis are the ones that contain Lactobacillus rhamnosus. Probiotics will help you better assimilate proteins, and as a result outbreak will diminish. A good food of Lactobacillus rhamnosus is the "Parmigiano Reggiano" cheese. Good Probiotics supplements with L rhamnosus are the Pearls, and PB8.
- If your body lacks Vitamin B, a great way to supplement it is to take Vitamin B Complex. Vitamin B Complex is a dietary supplement to contain all eight vitamin B. They all play a great role in your skin's health, directly, or indirectly.
- If your body is unable to transform linoleic acid into gamma linoleic acid, or your diet doesn't contain enough of it, your skin might suffer from this deficit. Eat foods that are rich in gamma linoleic acid, (GLA), to cover the deficit. Some of these sources are hemp seed oil, borage oil, safflower oil, and evening primrose oil. (Biology of essential fatty acids (EFA))
- Other foods that can trigger eczema are citrus fruits, and foods high in oxalates.
- Keep moisturizing your skin along with your diet. A good moisturizer is key for managing your eczema. At first just a day without moisturizer can be very hard on your skin, but eventually this will not be the case, and your dermis will start to regenerate properly.
- Fatty meats are known to promote inflammation in tissues, when you have eczema, you need to keep these under a strict control.
- Enriched flower contains gluten, another food allergen, (high content of protein).
- As mentioned before, it is not scientifically demonstrated, and there is a bit of debate on the subject, but it looks like sugar might contribute to your eczema outbreaks.
Food Safe Allergy Test - Test Kit For Food Intolerance
This test kit will allow you to test yourself for sensitivity to common foods, such as dairy, fish, shellfish, meat, grains, vegetables, nuts, fruits and others. If your body doesn't tolerate well a certain food, it will react to it producing antibodies. The extra antibodies will trigger the release of other unnecessary substances into your body as a self defense, but this is an overreaction, that will in turn trigger eczema.You can use this test kit to take a blood sample, and send it to the lab, and your blood will be tested for sensitivity to 200 foods. This test is one of the most accurate tests, because it doesn't rely solely on IgG, (immunoglobulin G), serum levels, as most tests do.
Probiotics for Atopic Dermatitis - Home Treatment for Eczema - Probiotics
Probiotics should be in our foods naturally, but because of food industrialization, and the need to maintain long shelf life there are virtually no foods that we can buy in a store to contain probiotics. They are normally found in fermented foods, like yogurt, sana, kefir, sauerkraut, sour pickles and their brine, miso, hard cider, etc...
Probiotics are a great way to improve overall health, and it will benefit more than your skin, having positive effects on your stomach, digestion, the immune system, urogenital health, etc... (http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0905c.shtml
The best strain for treating eczema is Lactobacillus rhamnosus, and any good brand containing rhamnosus should be able to help. I personally recommend PB8 and Pearls YB. I tolerated both of them very well, and they both were able to help me control the eczema. Although they are supplements, and they are relatively safe, be warned that not all people tolerate probiotics. There might be an adaptation period of 2-4 weeks, during which you might experience bloating, gas, constipation, and mild stomach aches, but this will eventually go away. It is best to discuss these with your family doctor.
Pearls YB, (acronym for yeast balance), restores the good bacteria in your body. It is blended with three probiotics strains: Lactobacillus acidophilus, rhamnosus, and plantarum.The manufacturer recommends one capsule a day, but I found the dose was insufficient for me, and I doubled it.
Natural Treatment Products for Eczema
Demodex Dermatitis Treatment - Treatment of Dermatitis Caused By Mites
Demodex dermatitis is not actually an atopic form, but it is worth including here because it has the same symptoms, and it can be very hard to diagnose it. The condition is caused by Demodex folliculorum and Demodex brevis, two mites that are commonly found on the human skin. However, when Demodex burrows into the skin, it develops and form large colonies feeding on the sebum. Large colonies are more often found in men and increases with age. The diagnostic implies skin scraping or skin surface biopsy, however the tests are not always precise, because the presence of the mites on the skin does not necessarily mean an infection. The number of the Demodex mites on the other hand could indicate a problem.
The treatment of Demodex dermatitis is very effective with Topical Crotamiton. Crotamiton is a scabicidal, with dual action, it kills mites and it calms itching. It kills scabies mites but it also kills Demodex mites. A study of its efficiency is here: Topical Crotamiton for Treatmen of Demodex Dermatitis
You can buy the Eurax cream or lotion on eBay. The cream is more effective because it stays on the skin, however the lotion is better for the scalp.
A natural cure for dermatitis caused by mites implies the use of raw organic apple cider vinegar, and tea tree oil. I used apple cider vinegar made by myself. It is important that ACV is raw and organic, otherwise it won't work. ACV is used as a folks medicine to kill mites, but very often chemical vinegar is used, and this doesn't work as well. If the ACV is strong, dilute it so it doesn't sting too much. If it stings too much add more water, if it stings a little, it's fine and it means it works. Your skin will turn red and it will sting, but the redness should disappear within an hour. Some people use ACV neat on the face, and claim it works better that way.
You will notice improvements the next day, if it works. I apply the ACV in the evening, to avoid the strong smell of the ACV when in public. My poor wife had to deal with the stink for 2 months.
In the morning I apply a homemade cream with the following ingredients: honey wax, tea tree oil, and coconut oil. However, you can make an oil from 1 part tea tree essential oil and 4 parts coconut oil. If your skin allows it, you can go with a slightly higher tea tree oil concentration, but test it thoroughly, so you don't burn your skin. Before applying, wash with a mild soap, and rinse the affected areas with a solution of vinegar. Only this time you wash it off, by rinsing with pure water, (again pure organic, unpasteurized ACV). Apply the oil on your face, and leave the oil on the skin. If you put too much gently remove only the excess, but the oil needs to stay on the skin.
Once per week use a strong formula, mixed from 1 part tea tree oil, and one part coconut oil. Continue with treatment 2 weeks after all symptoms disappeared, you need to make sure you killed all the hatching eggs, to eradicate the Demodex.
Tea tree oil is known for its strong scabicidal properties, and it has virtually no side effects. Apple cider vinegar, is popularly believed to kill the mites, but I personally believe that it actually nourish the good bacterial flora on the skin, which in turn will kill the mites. To complement this natural treatment, I used oral probiotics. Brewer's yeast is very commonly used for mites dermatitis treatment.
Bragg makes an organic, raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar, which works the best because it has the mother unfiltered. This make the vinegar more efficient as a prebiotic, and it stimulates the growth of the good bacteria.
Malassezia Furfur Atopic Dermatitis - Malassezia Furfur Treatment
Malassezia furfur is a fungus, that is normally found on adults' skin surface. Sometimes, people get an allergic reaction to this yeast and this triggers atopic dermatitis. The infection with Malassezia furfur can be tackled with topical applications of selenium disulfide, and ketoconazole.
If you have an infection with this fungus, you can buy over the counter hydrogen peroxide, and and treat the area. Warning, if left too long on the skin, hydrogen peroxide can scar the skin. This treatment should be performed under medical supervision.
Natural cures for Malassezia furfur dermatitis are essential oils with fungicidal properties. The essential oils that work best for Malassezia are citronella essential oil and, tea tree tree oil. Another natural antifungal, which has also other skin healing properties is propolis. Any of the three above solutions can be used topically to kill the fungus.
Dr. Hayashi Hydrogen Rich Water Stick
The hydrogen water is scientifically proven to help reducing the damage from free radicals. It helps your body detoxification and it supports a healthy skin. It helps you manage eczema and many other health issues.
Water Treatment for Eczema
Is Water Treatment for Eczema Efficient?
Recent research show a link between the water quality and eczema. The Japanese observations and research on water treatment for eczema, didn't go unnoticed by the Western world, and the researchers at the University of Nottingham showed that eczema is more prevalent in the regions with hard water, (alkaline). The Japanese have observed that by washing with acidic water the affected skin inflammation and redness will diminish. The other observation was that by drinking alkaline water the eczema also reduces. The Japanese combined then the two water treatments into a cure for eczema sufferers.
The researchers at the The University of Nottingham have conducted a large scale study on 336 eczema affected children living in hard water areas. The participants on the study, had used for twelve weeks very efficient water softener for their washing. The study, although approached with high hopes, showed NO DIFFERENCE, between the group who used water softener, and the group who didn't.
The statistics show that a larger number of eczema patients are reported in the areas with hard water, versus the areas with soft water, hence the hopes that a water softener will alleviate at least partially the dermatitis. However, the results of the study showed no differences at all.
Don't be disappointed about the results of this study, I personally think that there is a relationship between hard water and eczema, and scientists believe it too, (it would be hard not to). The solution though might not be softening the water, (removing minerals from water), but changing its ph to make it a little more acidic. I have used vinegar in my rinsing water since my childhood, it was recommended as a remedy for dandruff. Acid water balances the skin's ph, by neutralizing the strong alkalinity of soaps. The Japanese water treatment also uses acid water for washing, and dabbing on the lesions, and alkaline water for drinking.
I have my doubts about drinking alkaline water and so does this article, but I use regularly a weak vinegar solution for rinsing after washing. Are Kangen water machines, and other water ionizing machines a scam? Maybe there is some benefit in using the water from these type of machines, but they are way too expensive, because they need to support big MLM systems. Enagic are the most expensive, and the most benefit of buying one of these machines, is the pamphlet that comes with it, and teaches you about some potential diet problems.
Hydrogen rich water is a powerful antioxidant, and drinking hydrogen rich water might help indirectly with your eczema. (Hydrogen Rich Water As Antioxidant). This is scientifically proven, and it will help you, and it a fraction of the cost of alkaline water machines.
This tincture is very concentrated, it is very thick, and you are actually buying propolis and not alcohol. When I first started putting propolis tincture on my eczema, I had a very diluted version, I had to apply three times and let it dry in between, in order to obtain the needed thickness. If you are making a cream with this, it also works great, because you don't put a lot of alcohol in your cream.
Propolis and Propolis Cream - Eczema Remedy - Propolis Will Cure Your Eczema!!!
OK, it is indeed an overstatement, but it will help you manage it like no other treatment. Propolis is the best topical treatment for eczema, and I don't exaggerate. I grew up with bee products, and in my family, any condition had a bee product treatment for it. My kids were preventively fed pollen, propolis, and honey up until the age of ten.
Propolis does not contain any dangerous substances, it doesn't have any side effects, and most of all IT WORKS! Interestingly enough, it works on many forms of dermatitis. One of my problems with the eczema was that I treated the eczema on my face the same as the one on my hands, and it wasn't the same eczema type. The eczema one on my face was fungal, and the eczema on my hand was atopic. Nothing I was using was working on both my hand and my face. This until I used propolis. Propolis not only dramatically reduced the inflammation, irritation, and itching on both sites, but it killed the fungus on my face. I accidentally rediscovered propolis when I was researching the Wonder-Salve cream for other purposes. An Amazon customer was praising the powerful action of the Wonder-Salve on their eczema. I immediately made all the connections and started my own research. I bought a jar right away, and boy, the effect was amazing. When I finished the jar I was in trouble, because I live in Canada, and this wasn't shipped here. I had some propolis tincture in my medicine cabinet, and I tried it neat on the affected area. It worked the same as the cream on my hand, but it worked better on my face. The only two things that I don't like about propolis is that the tincture contains alcohol, and if you use it topically it stains. I also hate that I cannot put the tincture neat on my skin during the day, it looks weird on my face. The cream though works fine as it is less staining.
This cream is marketed primarily as a shingles treatment by their manufacturers. But this cream works great on eczema, it is my new favorite cream. The cream also contain Golden Seal extract, Aloe Vera, Comfrey, and Jojoba oil, all in a base of petrolatum. for maximum moisture retention.
Occasionally, they ship half empty jars, it happened to me.
Light Therapy - Effective for Eczema - Ultraviolet Rays Can Treat Psoriasis
Atopic dermatitis is known to be caused by inflammation of the skin, triggered by immune reactions to allergens. UVB suppresses the immune system, thus reducing the inflammation.The best way to benefit from UVB as a treatment for eczema is to expose your skin to sun. The sun light the cheapest, most convenient, and handy to use. You just have to expose your affected skin to the sunlight and it will do the job.For places with insufficient sunlight, or for a more targeted action on the skin, UV-B lamps emitting in the 311-313 nm is a great choice.
The Eurax cream will actually work for many skin problems, soothing the itching, and rashes. It works for insect bites, and nettle rash, and hives, but most importantly it kills the mites.
Eurax contain Crotamiton as the active ingredient, and what I like about it is that it contains beeswax, as the base.