ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Nickel Allergy will never go away

Updated on October 15, 2014

Do you get a rash from your belt, watch, earrings or necklace?

A red, swollen rash or Watery blisters? You might have Nickel Allergy! From now on you must be very careful not to allow your body to get in contact with Nickel!

Nickel is found in a lot of metal. Buy the little kit from the pharmacy I have posted here and find out. Cuttlery, handles, coins and of course cheap jewelry has nickle in them.

What you then has to do is NEVER I repeat - NEVER - touch nickel again. The reason is that the metal never leaves your body ever. It is building up inside you!

Photo Jere Mammino, DO, AOCD

Are you allergic to nickel? This is what happened to me!

Learn about contact allergy and take the precaution you must!

When I was a teenager I always had an itch around my belly button. I did not react because I thought it was just from having tight jeans. I was slim in those days and wore my jeans on a bare tummy. When I was about 18 I made holes in my ears for ear rings. I often had a terrible itch on the ear lobe and on the neck under the ear but did still not think much about it. Sometime I had this terrible itch for days after wearing rings, watches or even on my finger tips for no reason (that is what I thought) I slowly found out that pure gold and stainless steel did not affect me but I still did not take any special action about my other stuff. I wore it and paid the price the next days. Sometime my ear lobes were giving away a watery liquid too.

Unfortunatelly for me I found out when I was over 35 about all these indications that something was very wrong. One summer my hands started to develop small blisters that burst and eventually turned into ulceration causing great pain and problems. My nails started to loosen from the fingers and were sometimes pointing out from their place. I went to the doctor -which I should have done long ago!

He told me that I had nickel allergy.(allergic contact dermatitis) That is a "contact allergy" - meaning that you have touched to much nickel. To be sure he made a test pattern on my back with other things that people often are allergic to. When he removed that pad after a few days the whole surface was one big red carpet.

Photo Jere Mammino, DO, AOCD

Get a test kit - Test items for nickel

Nickel is a common component of jewelry, tools, eyeglass frames, doorknobs, cookware, zippers, metal clothing closures (buttons, snaps), silverware, and even the euro!

What ever contains nickel - DO NOT TOUCH IT WITH YOUR BARE SKIN! You can paint things with clear enamel polish or lack.

*DISCONTINUED*AllerTest Ni Nickel Detection Kit
*DISCONTINUED*AllerTest Ni Nickel Detection Kit

Allertest Ni will not harm objects which are tested.

Nickel allergy kit contains 2 individual dropper bottles containing 6ml each of Solution A and Solution B.

 

Find out all you can about this enemy

Nickel allergy

Nickel allergy is an inappropriate reaction of the immune system to the substance nickel. It is one of the most common forms of allergic contact dermatitis (inflammation that occurs when the skin’s surface comes directly into contact with a substance that triggers an allergic reaction). The allergy usually occurs when skin comes into contact with items containing nickel (e.g., coins, jewelry). People become sensitized (made sensitive) to nickel after having a long period of contact with it. Skin piercing is particularly notorious for allowing nickel to seep into the bloodstream and sensitize an individual.

Nickel allergy information

Books about contact allergy on Amazon - The more you know - the better you can protect yourself!

There are many things you can do to protect yourself. In these books you can get suggestions and warnings.

Do you have to use chop sticks for the rest of your life? - The answer is - no - there are cuttleries without nickel

Plastic is always a choice. Some nickel allergics I know have a cuttlery of plastic in their pocket or hand bag all the time :)

Comments

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • Teddi14 LM profile image

      Teddi14 LM 6 years ago

      Nice job. I think I have this allergy. I rarely wear jewelry.

    • norma-holt profile image

      norma-holt 6 years ago

      A real wake up call. Fortunately we did not have that problem in Australia that I know of but I rarely wore jewellery and now never do. All metal extraction damages the environment which I am opposed to and imagine what damage is being done to our rivers and oceans from the mining process. Great work.

    • three sonsstudio profile image

      three sonsstudio 6 years ago

      I, too have a major nickel allergy. I found that out when I was 9 and got my ears pierced. I found a neat trick, though. Clear nail polish - that's what I use on jewelry or watches that break me out. I coat the nail polish on the parts that contact my skin and it keeps me from breaking out.

    • LouisaDembul profile image
      Author

      LouisaDembul 7 years ago

      wow, I didn't know there were so many products available. My allery is quite controlled, but I see the need to be careful.

    • WindyWintersHubs profile image

      WindyWintersHubs 7 years ago from Vancouver Island, BC

      Great info for people with nickel allergies. I get a slight rash from earrings that have nickel in them and can only wear the good stuff, too!

    • profile image

      anonymous 7 years ago

      Great helpful information about nickel allergies and nice alternatives to people who suffer from it.

    • FlynntheCat1 profile image

      FlynntheCat1 7 years ago

      Lensrolling this on my Dermographism lens :D

    • profile image

      DarylRobidoux 8 years ago

      useful lens

    • profile image

      robertkoger123 8 years ago

      It is useful lens

    • profile image

      oliviabrooks123 8 years ago

      What a great lens!

    • profile image

      anonymous 8 years ago

      This is an interesting lens.

    • profile image

      GumboWriters123 8 years ago

      useful lens

    • blushingface profile image

      blushingface 8 years ago

      What a great lens! I used to have the same thing happen with my earrings when I was younger. My ears would turn red and itch like crazy! Thanks for the info.

    • profile image

      anonymous 8 years ago

      This is an interesting lens. 5*. Thank you

    • profile image

      anonymous 8 years ago

      i remember when i got my top ear pierced with stainless steel it was a HUGE mistake because after 3 days i could not sleep or do anything because i was in agony and had lots of migraines and headaches and my ears were purple/red and very, very swollen. the odd thing is that i can wear silver and gold even though they have nickel and i didnt realise i was allergic to nickel because i thought that the rashs from watchs were just a sweat rash but it seems i am allergic to nickel. i feel a real pity for anyone who has suffered anything similar to that.

    • profile image

      anonymous 9 years ago

      This is an EXCELLENT page! I break out from Nickel too. One trick I've found with pierced earrings and my eyeglasses, is to paint them with clear fingernail polish.

    • RuthCoffee profile image

      RuthCoffee 9 years ago

      Oh, avoid doing dishes...I could do that..but avoid CHOCOLATE??? Good information. I had an allergy assessment but the Dr. gave me no education on what to avoid (so what good was that??--Luckily I wasn't allergic to Nickel) Your information here should be very useful for many!!

    • GramaBarb profile image

      GramaBarb 9 years ago from Vancouver

      WOW! important information for everyone to read. A very important lens - I hope everyone emails this to their friends. I know I am!